Caribou Gear

Nap-of-the-Earth Helicopter Video

theat

I've been going through a bunch of old footage I have taken over the years and started to put together some videos. Figured if I didn't do something with it, they would just sit on an old hard drive and fade into obscurity in my cluttered mind.

In this first part of a video from my 2015 field season, we got to fly with an incredible pilot. He was part of a team that trained special forces helicopter pilots from many different nations in the intricacies of low level mountain flying. I talked him into doing some pretty aggressive low level ridgeline flying. The video doesn't do it justice. This footage is from Southern BC in the Cascades and Alberta in the Waterton Lakes area.

Maximum sphincter-clench watching you guys skim those ridges. Some amazing piloting there. Very cool.

I've been going through a bunch of old footage I have taken over the years and started to put together some videos. Figured if I didn't do something with it, they would just sit on an old hard drive and fade into obscurity in my cluttered mind.

In this first part of a video from my 2015 field season, we got to fly with an incredible pilot. He was part of a team that trained special forces helicopter pilots from many different nations in the intricacies of low level mountain flying. I talked him into doing some pretty aggressive low level ridgeline flying. The video doesn't do it justice. This footage is from Southern BC in the Cascades and Alberta in the Waterton Lakes area.

Back in the 80's and 90's as Army aviators we trained and practiced NOE (Nap-of-the-Earth) helicopter flight. As a Montana Army Guard Huey and OH-58 Kiowa driver, I was privileged to enjoy that low level flying across the plains, hills, and mountains of Montana and other western states.

In Vietnam, often flying "Nap-of-the-Waves" across the South China sea with Huey skids inches above the waves, it was fun to approach a sampan at 100 knots, and with the flick of the wrist on the cyclic, jump over the top at the last minute! Often the gunner and crew chief looking back out the open cargo doors would exclaim, "Yep, they're giving us the one-fingered salute again!"

Awesome stuff. Have you ever worked with the AV8-0RR guys in Hamilton? mtmuley

That's cool. I remember a friend, who was in a Ranger battalion, telling me about the crazy, low-level helicopter flights they would do. He said it could be violent enough, that they would all have to be tied into the helicopter in some way so that they weren't injured or thrown out.

First half of the video you flew over an oval on a ridge...what was that?

I guessing that you are talking about one of these? They are border monuments. There are over 8 thousand of them along the US-Canada border. Most people don't know it, but the actual western border is not the 49th parallel. It is close, but the real border is the somewhat straight line from the tip of one of these monuments to the tip of the next and so on. The border even shifts a minuscule amount when monuments get destroyed and have to be replaced.
DSC00056.jpg

I don't believe in helicopters. I believe they're like bumble bees--can be mathematically proven they can't fly. The film's a hoax.;)

Very cool footage. Are there any Mule deer in the mountains in that country?

Another in a series of Theat work and fun adventures. Amazing footage.
Thanks for sharing.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back