Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

MYSTERY RANCH POP UP Simple Solution for Simple Problem

N

ntodwild

Ok, love my pop up 28. Used it the first time this season on a successful spring bear hunt and hauled an adolescent bear out of the back country with it and was 100% impressed. The pack was 72lbs loaded and performed without a hitch. Everything about this pack is what people say it is aside from this one little issue I have with the pack.

Those of you who own the new pop up packs will understand exactly what this fix is for.

Unlike the guide light frame the pop up's do not have corner pockets at the top of the bag so the bag can actually "hang" on the frame leaving only the compression straps along with the load straps (which do not support the bag unless the meat shelf is actually loaded and the pack sets a bit away from the frame). Those of you who own one of these packs know exactly what I mean. It's a bit difficult to explain. This being the 2nd generation of the pack MR has still not addressed this issue as far as I can see but I have found a very simple and easy solution that requires absolutely nothing but your pack. I totally understand why they would not put pockets on a frame that adjusts up or down so this to me is not a design flaw just a slight oversight that needs to be fixed on the next gen pop up's. I am not sure if the 1st gen packs have the same style strap system so this may or may not work with first gen pop up 28's????

Anyway here is the fix:

First thing is first, locate the two pack load straps at the top of the pack.
IMG_3126.jpeg
IMG_3127.jpeg
After un-strapping all your side compressions and pulling the pack away from the frame, find the support cross strap/webbing that keeps the frame poles from separating and feed the pack load straps under this webbing.

IMG_3128.jpeg
Adjust the length of the strap so that the buckle sets just below the upper (plastic) crossbar at the top of the frame like so...You are going to cross these two straps from right to left so do the same with the other strap. The final length and adjustment should look like the photo below. The following photos are of the final fix and pretty self explanatory.

IMG_3129.jpeg
IMG_3130.jpeg

IMG_3131.jpeg

WHALA, THE PACK NOW HANGS ON THE FRAME. I BELIEVE THE POP UP 38 HAS THE SAME EXACT SYSTEM SO THIS WILL PROBABLY WORK JUST AS WELL WITH IT, JUST NOT SURE ABOUT THE 1ST GENERATION POP UP'S.

Last edited by a moderator:
The “laxness” of connection to the frame was a concern, as the entire bag/lid slumped down and away. Nice solution I’d wager @ntodwild.

Thanks for the idea

The “laxness” of connection to the frame was a concern, as the entire bag/lid slumped down and away. Nice solution I’d wager @ntodwild.

Thanks for the idea

"Laxnes" That is another way to explain it I suppose. I wish I personally had better terminology to explain it myself but I figured anyone who owns one of these packs would surely understand exactly what I mean. At least I hope???

Hopefully Big Fin can pass this on to the folks in Bozeman and explain this a bit better than I did in this post or better than I could in an email to MR. The way I see it the 3rd gen of this pack should have a strap system that mimics this fix, comes off the cross bar/webbing or something similar?? Maybe something entirely different and better? At any cost this is a very simple solution for a simple problem and it works.

Update to this fix.

The Pop up 38 is identical. A Buddy of mine just purchased one. Almost any and all negative reviews that I have noticed via forums or otherwise of the 2nd gen pop up system have to do with the pack NOT being tight to the frame or NOT hanging from the frame. This fix has been the ideal solution for both the 38 & the 28. It requires no purchase, modification to the pack in anyway. After a full year of using the 28 hauling meat (Spring Bear, Mule Deer buck, Antelope and even a Yote), use as a day pack as well as the addition of the role top hauler for an multi-day overnighter I can't be happier with the pop up system. Give this small detail some attention if you own a 2nd gen pop up pack.

I ordered the 38 and should be here by 2024 based on the current state of the shipping companies. Anyway I appreciate the fix info as this was the only negative I could find about the pack. First load hauler for me and I hope to put it through the ringer. Thanks for the post

I just got my pop up 28 today and this is the first thing I did. Thank you for the suggestion, this aleviates the only thing I can see wrong with this pack. Much better!

I just got my pop up 28 today and this is the first thing I did. Thank you for the suggestion, this aleviates the only thing I can see wrong with this pack. Much better!
Been loving my pack. Glad It helps. I have used the hell out of my pack since I received it and it has not let me down. I backpack hunted with it hauling a 40L dry bag with my gear, hauled 4 animals with it and days upon days scouting and hunting with it. I love the versatility.

Just received my pop up 38 yesterday. First meat hauler ever. Thanks for tip on the quick fix. Wondering what you HTer’s are using for a rifle boot or gun carrier on this specific pack?

thanks

brian

The Kifaru Gun Bearer works well as long as you do not attach a pouch to the belt on the same side as the rifle will be carried on. It will work with a pouch but tilts the rifle. It's a much cleaner cary without a pouch.

Is the end goal of this to get the weight up higher on your back?

Can't say I've noticed that being an issue on mine, but I might have to mess with this. A lot of the connections look different on mine, maybe mines an older version.
If your pop up is a first generation this does not apply. First Gen pop ups had folding tent style poles for the frame. This solution is for 2nd gen pop-ups with the sliding "trekking pole" style frame.

Just got my pop up 38 and did this before a 5 mile hike in the snow today. Load carried perfect! Thank you for the tip!

Thanks for the tip. I’ve been messing with my 38 since I got it last week to figure out a way to do this.

Also has anyone used the mystery ranch hands free sling or quick draw with their pop up. Have one ordered and on its way

A little late to the party here, but I should have know someone on HT had a solution for this. Thanks!! Love the pack, but the way it would "sag" and hang low on the frame was driving me crazy.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back