My wyoming 2023

Very cool buck, congrats! Looking forward to the WY safari triple crown achievement on your deer hunt.

Well, that puts a wrap on my 2023 big game season.

The snow was flying here in Cheyenne, so I figured Id head out for the morning hunt. Its difficult to find deer in the area I go, so I thought the snow would help me cut some tracks. There was snow most of the way to my hunting spot, but went dry about 5 miles out. I started the morning off disappointed. I was hoping the cold would keep people home, but there were 2 other vehicles parked there.

I started out on the trail head to my usual glassing spot. Stayed there for the first 45 minutes of light with no deer to be seen. I decided to use the wind and push in a few miles to see what I could come across. I dound a reasonably high knob about 3.5 miles back in an set up to glass. I figured it was the least likely area to get pressure from other hunters. It didnt take long. I spotted a bachelor group of 5 whitetail bucks coming down a hill about a mile away. I immediately packed up and started to head that way to cut them off.

The wind was swirling a bit and I had lost track of the bucks with all of the terrain changes. I put together the 2 areas I figured the would work into (they were moving pretty quickly last I saw). I crested a little hill and started to glass into a ravine... just then the wind shifted hard to my back and I knew it was over. I saw them bust out about 600 yards to the south and head for the hills like their ass was on fire.

Now I was really down. I figured "what the hell" im already here I might as well work the wind. After about 2 hours of going through ravines and tree clusters, I hadnt seen a single deer only a few flocks of turkey. I saw 1 last steep hill I wanted to climb and glass, then I was heading back to the truck. Right as I got on top, I spotted a small heard of muledeer about 1000 yards off. I through up my spotter and saw at least 2 bucks. I thought to myself, lets get this season wrapped up. The wind was in my face and I had plenty of cover and terrain to move in for a shot. I dropped my pack about 300 yards off and climbed the last hill to get into position. They were feeding around 150 yards away with no clue of my existence. I took my time, got in the prone, and picked out the biggest of the 3 bucks. Took a breath in, waited for my natural respiratory pause and squeezed off. He dropped in his tracks.

I quickly got to work and broke him down. I foolishly took the whole deer out in one trip, which was just over 4 miles to the truck with a lot of elevation gain. Made it out in just under 3 hours.

I headed to my butcher and the timing worked out perfectly. He had fmy elk/antelope ready to go as I dropped off my deer. What a great year, yet again. I love wyoming.
20231013_083202.jpgScreenshot_20231013_152951_Gallery.jpg20231013_141423.jpg20231013_175323.jpg

nice going on all of it! Congrats.

Suggest taking a minute and clear the grass from field of view for the hero shots?

Last edited:
nice going another all of it! Congrats.

Suggest taking a minute and clear the grass from field of view for the hero shots?

Thank you!

I definitely need to get better at my selfie game. Whenever I have a critter on the ground, panic kicks in and I feel the need to break them down as quickly as possible. My photos are always the ones I shortcut.

I decided to do my first euro. Normally I drop them off in fort collins at the beetle guy, but the deer I shot wasnt real big, so I figured I would try. I did the sous vide methood.
1. Cooked at 150 for 24 hours then pressure washed
2. Cooked at 140 for 24 hours then pressure washed
3. Cooked at 125 degrees for 30 hours with 2 scoops of oxi-clean then rinsed
4. Brushed with 40v peroxide paste for 24 hours, rinsed with hot water.

I made a mistake and the antlers were in the oxi-clean cook a little, ill have to stain those. Other than that, I think it turned out alright. Ill definitely do more of my own.

20231029_095527.jpg

I also picked up 2 leftover cow tags, so season isnt quite done. Really low chance tags, but worth the extra 80 bucks just to have something to do this winter.

I decided to do my first euro. Normally I drop them off in fort collins at the beetle guy, but the deer I shot wasnt real big, so I figured I would try. I did the sous vide methood.
1. Cooked at 150 for 24 hours then pressure washed
2. Cooked at 140 for 24 hours then pressure washed
3. Cooked at 125 degrees for 30 hours with 2 scoops of oxi-clean then rinsed
4. Brushed with 40v peroxide paste for 24 hours, rinsed with hot water.

I made a mistake and the antlers were in the oxi-clean cook a little, ill have to stain those. Other than that, I think it turned out alright. Ill definitely do more of my own.

View attachment 299618

I also picked up 2 leftover cow tags, so season isnt quite done. Really low chance tags, but worth the extra 80 bucks just to have something to do this winter.
Skull looks great!! And good luck on the leftovers.

Great season, well done! I had fun following along! Looking forward to getting out for my WY leftover cow tag as well.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back