Caribou Gear

My wyoming 2023

I also witnessed one of the most egregious things ive seen in the elk mountains. 2 guys, 1 in the drainage and 1 on top. They proceeded to bugle and cow call continuously for over 45 minutes. No breaks. I came down off the mountain and wanted to spartin kick him down the hill. No wonder why the elk wont bugle or respond to calls.

I hunt quite a bit around Saratoga, headed that way again next week.

There was a ton of pressure last weekend too, elk weren't talking but they were moving. It's getting harder over there just because of people, but still a lot of elk. I will say I've filled the last two tags over there in the middle of the day.

Hope you get r done!
Good luck up there! I might have to follow some of your tactics. I tried sitting water holes and wallows during the day, but never had any luck with that.

headed that direction this weekend. i'm no expert, but kinda like you have been doing, i really only plan to do some cow calling if i've found elk. approaching this as a spot and stalk archery hunt followed with cow calls once they're found with a healthy dose of still hunting mixed in. if we're honest, it's just rifle scouting with a bow.

yeah i dropped some points and cash on this tag, but i don't plan to pass on anything but cows until november rolls around.

headed that direction this weekend. i'm no expert, but kinda like you have been doing, i really only plan to do some cow calling if i've found elk. approaching this as a spot and stalk archery hunt followed with cow calls once they're found with a healthy dose of still hunting mixed in. if we're honest, it's just rifle scouting with a bow.

yeah i dropped some points and cash on this tag, but i don't plan to pass on anything but cows until november rolls around.
Good luck on your hunt. There are plenty of elk in there, just hard to get close enough without blowing them out with all the deadfall. If youre open to any antlered elk, you have a pretty good shot. Just get away from people.

I hunted that area for three years. It was good during archery, but super crowded in rifle season.
I cant believe the amount of people in there for archery. Ive never hunted rifle up there, a little scared to if its worse than archery. Ive got some other areas to go to first, but will keep that in my back pocket.

Good luck on your hunt. There are plenty of elk in there, just hard to get close enough without blowing them out with all the deadfall. If youre open to any antlered elk, you have a pretty good shot. Just get away from people.

thank you.

the getting away from people thing in those areas has always stressed me out. or maybe i overestimate the average hunter. when you look at the road system it can be hard to imagine how one could get away from people. i'm drawn to long hikes and roadless areas, which seem elusive in those parts.

thank you.

the getting away from people thing in those areas has always stressed me out. or maybe i overestimate the average hunter. when you look at the road system it can be hard to imagine how one could get away from people. i'm drawn to long hikes and roadless areas, which seem elusive in those parts.
Elevation... most of them are pussies and only go 1/3 of the way up the mountains. I never saw another hunter past the half way mark over that last few days. They will go miles up an easy drainage, but steer clear of the steep hills. Im like you, the further I can get away from people, that happier I am. Im willing to torture myself to do it, too.

Well, @Wyhunter and @TOGIE don't give up, they're in there. I shouldn't have opened my mouth about the middle of the day, absolutely nothing happening this year lol. But, into elk every day just couldn't get the bulls to cooperate. They'd answer soft bugles but went tight lipped when close and wouldn't present a shot. They were vocal the past few early mornings and stopped around 0900. Three days in and no additional hunters around.

Opportunity at cows in bow range just no point with bulls popping off. Here's a photo of a cow who should buy a lotto ticket with her luck, she got a pass.

Attachments

• PXL_20230923_131332440.jpg
    PXL_20230923_131332440.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 89
Well, @Wyhunter and @TOGIE don't give up, they're in there. I shouldn't have opened my mouth about the middle of the day, absolutely nothing happening this year lol. But, into elk every day just couldn't get the bulls to cooperate. They'd answer soft bugles but went tight lipped when close and wouldn't present a shot. They were vocal the past few early mornings and stopped around 0900. Three days in and no additional hunters around.

Opportunity at cows in bow range just no point with bulls popping off. Here's a photo of a cow who should buy a lotto ticket with her luck, she got a pass.
Good luck!! I hope you bag one, man. Im glad the pressure is off and they are talking a little.

Today was a day... Definitely exhausted.

I decided to take ny rifle for a walk to one of my favorite deer hunting spots. I saw 4 or 5 good 4 points in there this archery season. I made sure to get up early so I could arrive before light. Just about 5 miles before the turn off, some guy in a hacked up ram blew by me at 90 mph and I thought to myself, I sure hope hes not going where I want to. I see him blow by the turn off and hit his breaks, too late for him, I turned in right after. This is a huge are to hunt, so what are the odds we go to the same spot.... the dude follows me for 20 mins and parks right next to my truck... D-bag... but its public land and we all love to use it so I cant be too mad. I had all my gear ready, so I got a solid 5-10 minute jump on the other guy. Just so happens, the redbull and donuts kicked in and I had to take a shit right in the midlle of the cattle trail. Sure hope he didnt step in it!
I got to my glassing spot at 530 and had about a hour to wait before it was light enough to see anything. Played the wind perfect, so I felt pretty good about my opportunity. Light comes and goes. Not a deer in sight! I was shocked, I have never gone out there and not seen at least a few bucks at light. I decided to hike another mile or so and to the top of a hill where I could see a lot of different areas. Set up the spotter and waited for another 30 mins. No deer. I was starting to think it was a wasted adventure when all of a sudden, a bull stepped out at 950 yards. Ive only ever seen 1 elk in there, so I wasnt expecting it at all. He was in a hurry to book it across the opening and into the trees, Im guessing he winded a hunter to the south.
I had a good Idea of where he was going to go, so I dropped my pack, took off and rounded the mountain to the north and worked my way up to the top. I catch a shadow across the grass, SHIT! He was downwind and trotting off. He wasnt alone, another bull had joined him. I decided to cow call and the hoochie mamma worked like a charm. Both bulls stopped at 400 yards and looked back. That was all the time I needed. I took a kneeling shot and dropped him in his tracks. The 6.5 PRC did its job fantastically.
It took about a hour to process him and stow the bags under some shade trees. The weather was turning to hot in a hurry and I had over 2 miles to the truck. I loaded up all my gear and a rear quarter and headed off. Relatively uneventful minus the 3" rattlesnake striking by boot that I had no odea was there. Scared the shit out of me and I quickly realized that things can go bad fast. I stopped at the rltruck, chugeed a Gatorade and headed back out for the next load. I hauled a rear quarter, front quarter, backstrap, neck meat, and tenderloin on the next trip. This one had me laughing.... a damn 3 point muley ran up to me all confused and stopped at 30 yards. Had it not been 82 degrees out, I may have considered adding him to the hit list today. Third trip kicked my ass, as I hauled the last bag of meat and head out. Feet and back are whooped. I chugged another redbull and some m&m's and hit the road. Got the bull dropped off at the butcher and made it home.

Im definitely the master of raghorns. Another one down and meat in the freezer. Not what I was expecting to hike out today. Bed will be calling my name early. Put on a total of 16 miles today with around 7 miles fully loaded down.
20231001_082420.jpg20231001_165426.jpg

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back