Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

My wyoming 2023

Wyhunter

Finally setting off for a few days to chase some elk. I figured I would do all of my hunts under 1 post this year. Ive got elk, deer, bear, mountain lion and bird tags in my wallet. I plan on both archery and rifle hunting to fill as much of the feeezer as possible.
Those of you who know me, know I dont pass up much that walks out in front of my sights. That will be especially true this year as my wife has been struggling with some health issues... days in the woods will be few.
Expecting heavy rain in the morning when I set off, so I had to cram most of my gear in the truck 🤣. Service will be limited, so ill update when I can.

Here goes to another year!

Attachments

• 20230913_160318.jpg
    20230913_160318.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • 20230913_160401.jpg
    20230913_160401.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
Finally setting off for a few days to chase some elk. I figured I would do all of my hunts under 1 post this year. Ive got elk, deer, bear, mountain lion and bird tags in my wallet. I plan on both archery and rifle hunting to fill as much of the feeezer as possible.
Those of you who know me, know I dont pass up much that walks out in front of my sights. That will be especially true this year as my wife has been struggling with some health issues... days in the woods will be few.
Expecting heavy rain in the morning when I set off, so I had to cram most of my gear in the truck 🤣. Service will be limited, so ill update when I can.

Here goes to another year!
Go get you one!

The morning started off well. Drive was smooth, frost on the trees, and a light rain/sleet mix. I got to the spot I wanted to go and started to head up the mountain. It didnt take long for the army of side x sides to drive down the road. Tis the joys of public land.

I reached the summit of where I wanted to glass around 630-645 and guess what... 2 guys were standing there. I briefly talked to them and gave them the decision on which direction they wanted to hunt as they were there first. I made a plan and headed into another drainage.

I decided to sit down in some deadfall and cow call. Not even five mins had passed and I caught some movement. It was an elk, and a bull at that! I had just caught a quick glance at what appeared to be an antler. I started marking spots with the rangefinder and preparing. The bull started to bark at me continuously until he finally stepped out the thick brush at 36 yards.

I did the most un-Adam thing... i decided to pass on him when I finally saw him clearly. He was just a spike, still in velvet. Im not sure if it was that fact that it was first light on my first day, or that you could still see the milk on his lip.

I was hopeful thay he would attract daddy with all of his barking, so I kept him interested for a while. He stood broadside for at least 20 minutes, making it harder not to tip him over. Finally, he ran off.

I headed down the mountain a little after 11 to set up my tent. Whoever tells you canvas tents are cool, obviously hasnt set one up in the pouring down rain/mud by themselves! I was less than impresses and really missing my camper. After a hour or so, it was finally all set up, firewood cut, and stove put in. Time to change camo to the gortex and head back out.

Ive put on about 10 miles so far and the spike is the only elk ive seen. Back at camp and eating some freeze dryed crap, taking a nap, and drying out some clothes. Time to get ready for the evening hunt.

By the way, its super nice to have the canvas tent now that im not settinf it up in the rain. Not enough service to attach pictures, so Ill have to do that later.

I guess ill "keep hammering". More to come....

The evening hunt was mostly uneventful. Much like how I am with my wife, I went in too deep too fast and ruined a good time. The thermals switched on me and had the wind at my back after 6 pm. I did hear a bull bugle quite a ways off. I got him to respond to me and start working his way in. Unfortunately, I ran out of daylight when he was still 600-700 yards down the drainage. Hopefully, I put him to bed and will return at first light.

Well... if I learned any lesson today, it would be to shoot the first legal elk you see and dont cry about it.

It was a rough day. The elk are holed up in the timber and silent as can be. There is so much pressure up here. Someone is camped or parked in every drainage.

I started my morning off by hiking 3 miles up a beautiful drainage with some wallows and plenty of water. The ground was still wet so it was quiet walking. More deadfall than imaginable though. Im fairly certain a pulled the muscle in my taint slipping on a log... i was about two miles in when I hward a bugle sound off, go time! I set up and called. About 5 minutes later a got a response and he was moving in. Ranged a few areas, knocked an arrow, and let off a bugle. No response. I patiently waited for another 5 minutes or so, when I finally put my eyes on him. It was a hunter, 2 to be exact. Yay.... no elk to be seen or heard.

Headed back to camp around 1 for some lunch and a quick nap, then headed out this evening. I started in a on a new drainage that the spike came out of yesterday. I made it about 200 yards in from the road, still crashing through deadfall, when I heard an elk bust out of the trees. I quickly cow called and got them to hold up just long enough to see them. 1 3x3 and another that appeared to be a small 5 point. I decided to try and call them in. In hindsight, I think that was a mistake. Should of pushed forward a little, they were only 60 yards or so, just way to thick to get a shot off. Ended up being the only elk I saw all day. Its tough trekking.

Im at a loss of tactics for what is supposed to be rut activity. The elk are acting more like its post rut and holed up tight. They dont appear to be responding to calls and Im pretty sure the bugle last night was of the human variety. Other than that, Ive heared 0 bugles. Lots of fresh sign in the thick areas.

Im gonna go up on top of a ridge in the morning and glass tomorrow. Hopefully Ill catch some movement.

Well... if I learned any lesson today, it would be to shoot the first legal elk you see and dont cry about it.

It was a rough day. The elk are holed up in the timber and silent as can be. There is so much pressure up here. Someone is camped or parked in every drainage.

I started my morning off by hiking 3 miles up a beautiful drainage with some wallows and plenty of water. The ground was still wet so it was quiet walking. More deadfall than imaginable though. Im fairly certain a pulled the muscle in my taint slipping on a log... i was about two miles in when I hward a bugle sound off, go time! I set up and called. About 5 minutes later a got a response and he was moving in. Ranged a few areas, knocked an arrow, and let off a bugle. No response. I patiently waited for another 5 minutes or so, when I finally put my eyes on him. It was a hunter, 2 to be exact. Yay.... no elk to be seen or heard.

Headed back to camp around 1 for some lunch and a quick nap, then headed out this evening. I started in a on a new drainage that the spike came out of yesterday. I made it about 200 yards in from the road, still crashing through deadfall, when I heard an elk bust out of the trees. I quickly cow called and got them to hold up just long enough to see them. 1 3x3 and another that appeared to be a small 5 point. I decided to try and call them in. In hindsight, I think that was a mistake. Should of pushed forward a little, they were only 60 yards or so, just way to thick to get a shot off. Ended up being the only elk I saw all day. Its tough trekking.

Im at a loss of tactics for what is supposed to be rut activity. The elk are acting more like its post rut and holed up tight. They dont appear to be responding to calls and Im pretty sure the bugle last night was of the human variety. Other than that, Ive heared 0 bugles. Lots of fresh sign in the thick areas.

Im gonna go up on top of a ridge in the morning and glass tomorrow. Hopefully Ill catch some movement.
With a rifle I like to still hunt/call. Soft cows call wait 20 minutes go 100-200 yards. Often I am only getting that elk to stand up and come hits a few yards. I think it’s easier to call elk when you’re right in their face. Not much of a commitment. Could do the still hunt/call with a bow just find a bit more open timber or some dark spruce

With a rifle I like to still hunt/call. Soft cows call wait 20 minutes go 100-200 yards. Often I am only getting that elk to stand up and come hits a few yards. I think it’s easier to call elk when you’re right in their face. Not much of a commitment. Could do the still hunt/call with a bow just find a bit more open timber or some dark spruce
I appreciate the info. Ill try calling a little more frequently tomorrow. Ive been calling about every half mile or so.

I hunt quite a bit around Saratoga, headed that way again next week.

There was a ton of pressure last weekend too, elk weren't talking but they were moving. It's getting harder over there just because of people, but still a lot of elk. I will say I've filled the last two tags over there in the middle of the day.

Hope you get r done!

Got back home late last night. After everyone came up for the weekend, cell service went away in camp.

It was quite the adventure. I was on bulls everyday, the problem was I would either spot them a mile away, or only see their asses and antlers running through the woods after I bummped them. They headed for dark timber 20 minutes before sunrise, never naid a sound, and surrounded themselves with deadfall. This is the first multi-day elk hunt Ive been on that was unsuccessful. I gained 1000 ft of elevation twice a day everyday with the hopes of getting close. Never panned out. This is one of the first times where I actually didnt enjoy myself being up there. Im gonna rest for the next few weeks, put the bow down, regroup, and see how rifle season goes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back