Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

My new, still-in-the-box .280 AI.

That seems a little fast. Im planning on shooting bullets between 150 and 160gn. Im mostly interested in what I can do with 150gn Accubonds, 154gn Interbonds, and 155gn Federal Edge TLR. Not too interested in bullets much heavier than 160gn in this gun.

That seems a little fast. Im planning on shooting bullets between 150 and 160gn. Im mostly interested in what I can do with 150gn Accubonds, 154gn Interbonds, and 155gn Federal Edge TLR. Not too interested in bullets much heavier than 160gn in this gun.
Pretty impressive Brian...good choice on the AI

I just got an email from UPS - the barrel and other parts I ordered have shipped. I'm finding myself feeling kinda 'thusiastic.

👍
Well... the barrel was delivered while I was out hunting, but the order is wrong. Everything is correct except I ordered a bead-blasted finish. I checked the invoice, they didn't charge me for the finish, but I remember distinctly discussing it with the guy at NSS. Must have just been a matter of he didn't click the box on the order form. So now I'm kinda in a new quandary - just use the stainless barrel (highly reflective, maybe not ideal for a hunting rifle) or send it back for the same barrel with a bead-blasted finish. 😐

Well... the barrel was delivered while I was out hunting, but the order is wrong. Everything is correct except I ordered a bead-blasted finish. I checked the invoice, they didn't charge me for the finish, but I remember distinctly discussing it with the guy at NSS. Must have just been a matter of he didn't click the box on the order form. So now I'm kinda in a new quandary - just use the stainless barrel (highly reflective, maybe not ideal for a hunting rifle) or send it back for the same barrel with a bead-blasted finish. 😐
Is it brushed or polished? Pic?

My concern is I really wouldn't want a really reflective barrel like that on a hunting rifle. The bead blast finish is a little more scratch resistant too.

Doesn't look too far off your action finish (from pics) but I'd get what you had envisioned.

I've a couple blasted and a couple shiny...like em all.

Last edited:
Well... I got an email response from Northland Shooters Supplies saying they are closed for the holidays and won't be responding to emails or calls until January 2. So it appears I have to wait 4 weeks to ask about exchanging the barrel.

Well... I got an email response from Northland Shooters Supplies saying they are closed for the holidays and won't be responding to emails or calls until January 2. So it appears I have to wait 4 weeks to ask about exchanging the barrel.
Maybe see if anybody in your area is set up for bead blasting?

Leaning toward a 26" standard sporter contour with a 1:9 twist. I want to push 150-160 grn bullets around 2900fps. I think I'd be very happy with that.

You know you can fireform standard 280 brass for the ackley, right?
Also, I am building the same. Will be going with the Bighorn Origin action though.
Check out Grayboe stocks. They have reworked their Terrain and Outlander, 25-27 oz. for the Outlander and 2 lbs for the Terrain. Good sale on them right now: BF2020 will get 20% off.

Last edited:
If you do decide to take the barreled action to a local shop that bead blasts, remember one thing.
Take it apart once you get it back!

Doesn't matter how much care was taken to keep the blast from inside, it finds it's way into any nook & cranny!

Back