Caribou Gear Tarp

My new rifle is here!!

thecrittergitter

Well, after few long months of anticipation, my good buddy Brian finally finished building my custom 7mm WSM. He has more gun knowledge than most but this was his very first project of building a complete rifle from start to finish. I'd say he hit a home run with it too! I picked out the components I wanted and shipped to him, he did all the rest.

Beautiful rifle and based on the initial shooting, I'd say I'm gonna have a hard time beating the accuracy.

Thanks Brian for the hard work you put into this, it definately exceeded my expectations.

26" lilja barrel, mcmillian hunter stock, remington 700 action, Pacific tool and guage bolt and bottom metal. Extended magazine box. All metal parts except for the safety were hard chromed. leupold mark 4 with tmr reticle. Night force ultralight rings and bases.

Rifle came in at just under 10 lbs. Fully loaded with ammo, rifle sling, and harris bipod, its just a shade under 11 lbs.

After getting it this weekend, I went straight out to shoot it, turned out great. Got it chrony'd, set the first milk jug at 500 yds and the next two at 650 yds. Wish I could have gotten a farther stretch but thats all the room I had. Very first shot at the milk jugs literally dead centered the jug. Brian shot a 5 shot group at 1000 yards before he sent it to me that was 5.5" . Iooking forward to the first critter that gets to be in the way of this one.............

Attachments

• rifle 2.jpg
    rifle 2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,283
  • rifle 1.jpg
    rifle 1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,226
  • rifle 4.jpg
    rifle 4.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,215
  • rifle 5.jpg
    rifle 5.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,255
  • rifle 6.jpg
    rifle 6.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,286
  • rifle 7.jpg
    rifle 7.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,236
  • Target.jpg
    Target.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,196
  • milk jug 500yds.jpg
    milk jug 500yds.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,136
That is a good looking rifle! About perfect I'd think for open country and should have some major reach.

Wolves beware! Nice rifle Critter! Come on over to Idaho this fall to add a few more wolves to your kill streak after warming up in Montana.

Critter that is one sweet looking rig! and it appears you shoot it very well, something tells me we are gonna see the field results this fall. jealous:D

I just put down a deposit yesterday for a GAP NT in 7WSM. I hope it shoots as well as yours.

Very nice rifle. That Mark 4 with TMR is a nice scope. Ranging with it is fairly quick and accurate once you get the system down.

I just put down a deposit yesterday for a GAP NT in 7WSM. I hope it shoots as well as yours.
Are you selling the Montana? That new rig should be skookum! I hear there's a few GAP rifles a bit east of you that see a few days afield...

I will keep the Montana. Nothing like redundancy in calibers.

I think those GAP's east of me warm up once in a while.;)

Look at you mr. fancy! Ok, maybe I'm just jealous.

Nice looking rifle critter, what made you go with the hard chrome finish for the metal? Not sure I've really seen that ever before on a rifle.

I will keep the Montana. Nothing like redundancy in calibers.

I think those GAP's east of me warm up once in a while.;)
I don't blame you on keeping it! If I were smart like you, I'd set up two rifles in the same chambering and then just worry about filling tags. Right now I can't afford rifles or tags...raising your kids is expensive! :hump:

I'm not sure breaks runner want's you warming up with his GAPS... :D

Look at you mr. fancy! Ok, maybe I'm just jealous.

Nice looking rifle critter, what made you go with the hard chrome finish for the metal? Not sure I've really seen that ever before on a rifle.

Well, really was at the suggestion of the builder. I was going to go stainless on everything but he knows a guy that does the hard chroming (one of the best in the country as a matter of fact) and I really like the finished look of the hard chrome........Not sure expense wise which is cheaper, just really like the look.

Also, just in case anybody is interested, Brian has bought all the components to build 4 new rifles, two in 7 WSM and two in 300 WSM. He was able so score a pretty good deal on the parts so he was thinking he would try and build long range rifles out of them and sell them. Brian is considering building rifles as a profession and as awesome as he did on mine, I think he would be a fool not to.

If anyone that is looking to have a long range gun on a tighter budget, one of these 4 may be the ticket for you.

Just let me know if you are interested at all in one, he will be starting on them this fall when his current job situation will allow him to be on them full time.

Can't tell you a price right now, but I know he is looking to just get his name out at this point and would cut a smoking deal on them.

Happy shooting to all!!

Nice setup for sure. DId he workup the handload data for you, or was the first try a success? Shoot me the details when you get a chance. I may be talked into a 300 WSM. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back