Yeti GOBOX Collection

My New Mexico 2B Buck.....

caseylavere

Well after five days of hard hunting, countless hours behind the glass and miles of wear and tear on the boots(my knees as well) I was able to make it happen. It was pretty frustrating to say the least. But like in anything in life you only fail when you decide to give up. I was so discouraged and down on my luck and my inabilities to find a big mature buck that this "famed" unit is known for I was ready to fold my hand. After a much needed pep talk from my wife and two kids I decided I better give it one last go on the last day. I had what I thought glassed every deer in the area and covered every canyon I could find. The last morning as I woke up I read a text that my good buddy NMELKTROUT had sent me "keep the faith brother" I decided to hunt a canyon that I hunted opening morning and hadn't been back to since. I hiked to my lookout and began glassing the bottom of the canyon. I imediately picked out some deer milling around in the tall grass just below me. There was 5 or 6 does and a small 3x3 that were feeding through the canyon floor pretty content. I was watching the little buck(wishing he was 2 years older) when I noticed his carefree demeanor turned to that of a nervous 5th grader being approached by the 7th grade bully. His head swung back and his eyes were now fixated on something more important then the tall lush grass. I swung my binos in the same direction and caught glimpse of the Bully that was looking for some lunch money. I could tell instantly he was a shooter and hurried and got set for the shot. As he walked out into the clearing I could see the Big Buck lip curling like he had more then lunch money on his mind...well I never gave him the opportunity to take the lunch money or steal his girlfriend. One shot at 230 yds and it was over.....We only fail when we give up and always remember "keep the faith brother"

He's not a giant by any means but I couldn't be prouder. He is 28 wide 21 tall and if his back forks didn't putter out he would be my biggest muley to date...now i need to convince my wife I need to get him mounted. The whole hunt will be on my channel in a few weeks. http://www.youtube.com/user/hushinwithlavere

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-11-01 at 10.05.38 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-11-01 at 10.05.38 AM.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 2,770
  • Screen shot 2012-11-01 at 10.06.59 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-11-01 at 10.06.59 AM.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,762
  • Screen shot 2012-11-01 at 10.08.35 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-11-01 at 10.08.35 AM.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,590
Congrats on the great deer. Sounds like you have a great family and friends with the encouragement and advice.

Congrats again, buddy. I only wish I could have made that hunt with you, but 2 out of 3 isn't too bad. For those of you who don't already know him, Casey (aka "Werewolf" in hunting camp) is one hell of an accomplished hunter and all-around good dude. Also one of the best glassers I've hunted with. Unit 2B is an average unit at best these days and this is definitely a top-end buck for San Juan County. Way to stick with it and put one down, buddy!

Casey -

What a great buck and display of perserverance. 6 days all by yourself can be tough on the mind.

You earned it buddy, especially after helping us out so much in elk camp.

Well done.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back