Yeti GOBOX Collection

My New Howa Alpine Mt Rifle and my first take

Melman

I've wanted this rifle ever since I saw Randy using it on Fresh Tracks. I got it in my favorite caliber .308. right out of the box I liked the stock a lot and the Cerakote finish is very nice. It points very nice for a compact lightweight gun with a 20" barrel. It weighed in at 6lbs 13oz. with the magazine in. So its just a tad heavier than the 5.7 (5lbs 11.2oz) listed on the website. I bought this gun as NIB off of gunbroker from a dealer not an individual, but for some reason the gun came with a gloss black hinged floorplate instead of the cerakoted version the website says it has. I've asked other people on hunt talk and they confirmed that theirs had the cerakoted floorplate. I've asked Matt from LSI what he thinks about this and will let you all know his reply. I'm not super worried about it since I plan on using the DBM instead of the floorplate, but I will say, that long extended magazine does get in the way of my natural hand position on the stock, so I have to put it a little farther forward than usual. My only real concern about this rifle is the very stiff and loud safety. All safetys make noise so that's not huge deal but it seems much too stiff and hard to move into the fire position. My rifle is also missing the little red painted dot on the stock to indicate the fire position. I've asked LSI about that as well. In a few years my son will start hunting and if he uses this gun, I'd prefer a visual for safe and fire on the gun so he is 100% sure of where his safety is. I guess I could paint it on myself but you shouldn't have to modify a $1100 rifle. overall I think I will really enjoy hunting with this rifle and it should be a joy to carry. As soon as I get my talley rings and mount the scope (and its not 100 degrees out) I'll go out and shoot it and let you know how that goes.

Attachments

• Kimber.jpg
    Kimber.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,374
Last edited:
I've wanted this rifle ever since I saw Randy using it on Fresh Tracks. I got it in my favorite caliber .308. right out of the box I liked the stock a lot and the Cerakote finish is very nice. It points very nice for a compact lightweight gun with a 20" barrel. It weighed in at 6lbs 13oz. with the magazine in. So its just a tad heavier than the 5.7 (5lbs 11.2oz) listed on the website. I bought this gun as NIB off of gunbroker from a dealer not an individual, but for some reason the gun came with a gloss black hinged floorplate instead of the cerakoted version the website says it has. I've asked other people on hunt talk and they confirmed that theirs had the cerakoted floorplate. I've asked Matt from LSI what he thinks about this and will let you all know his reply. I'm not super worried about it since I plan on using the DBM instead of the floorplate, but I will say, that long extended magazine does get in the way of my natural hand position on the stock, so I have to put it a little farther forward than usual. My only real concern about this rifle is the very stiff and loud safety. All safetys make noise so that's not huge deal but it seems much too stiff and hard to move into the fire position. My rifle is also missing the little red painted dot on the stock to indicate the fire position. I've asked LSI about that as well. In a few years my son will start hunting and if he uses this gun, I'd prefer a visual for safe and fire on the gun so he is 100% sure of where his safety is. I guess I could paint it on myself but you shouldn't have to modify a $1100 rifle. overall I think I will really enjoy hunting with this rifle and it should be a joy to carry. As soon as I get my talley rings and mount the scope (and its not 100 degrees out) I'll go out and shoot it and let you know how that goes.

View attachment 58777

Obviously not the howa.

Matt from LSI got back to me and I'm very impressed with the service. he is sending me the correct Cerakoted floorplate. That's good customer service if you ask me. Thanks Matt.

he also told me the safety should loosen up and the red safety dot is being addressed with LAW, the maker of the stocks. i'll just go ahead and pant a little red dot for my kids sake. not sure though, they might have to get their own because this one is pretty nice.

Very nice!! I am surpised that it misses the advertised weight by more than a pound!

that was a typo. it weighed in at 5lbs 13oz for rifle only with magazine in. so it only missed it by 1.8 oz. not 1 lb. With my scope and talley rings its right at 6lbs 13oz.

Very nice!! I am surpised that it misses the advertised weight by more than a pound!

due to the nature of it being a hand made stock and hand bedded/fitted, they fluctuate a bit. add in deviation from scales and you get changes in weight.

Just out of curiosity, has any ever shot the Alpine through a chronograph? I'm curious to see what kind of velocities the 7mm-08 generates with the 20" barrel and 140 Grain loads.

due to the nature of it being a hand made stock and hand bedded/fitted, they fluctuate a bit. add in deviation from scales and you get changes in weight.

shouldn't work and try to discuss gun at the same time. just a bad typo on my end. its very close to the advertised weight.

the little article about .308 barrel length versus velocity (28" to 16.5") is very interesting. the guy actually cut down the barrel an inch between each shot to show actual drops in velocity as the barrel got shorter. only 33 fps drop from a 22" barrel to a 20" barrel. not that significant. its a 105 fps difference between a 24" to 20"

that was a typo. it weighed in at 5lbs 13oz for rifle only with magazine in. so it only missed it by 1.8 oz. not 1 lb. With my scope and talley rings its right at 6lbs 13oz.
That's much better! Thanks for clearing that up.

I was able to get the Howa out and shoot it a couple times over 4th of July weekend. It Rained about 80% of the weekend so I wasn't able to do the barrel break in or shoot any groups. so I just went out and shot it twice to see how the recoil was and how it felt. The gun feels awesome, action is slick and trigger is crisp. You can tell its light but recoil wasn't bad at all with 165g bullets and off hand shooting. I will say, I really like the idea of a 5 round magazine. but I'm not 100% sure I'll hunt with this drop box magazine or if i'll switch to the hinged floor plate. the clip is kinda in my way just a little bit when I pull up to shoot. Also, when I handed the gun to show my buddy for the first time, the magazine literally flew out of the gun because his hand slid down the stock and hit the magazine release button which dropped the clip way too easily to the ground. LSI suggested I shave the lever down to help out with this issue. I plan on taking a dremel tool to it even though I wish I didn't have to. I think they need to revamp their drop box magazine in the future for sure. new release lever and maybe make it a flush mounted clip. it looks cool hanging low like that but its only a 5 round clip and doesn't need to be near as long. I bought this gun because I wanted a lightweight rifle and I might have to put the 5oz heavier hinged floor plate on instead which kinda stinks. in reality you are saving about 3 0z with the ammo boost over the hinged floor plate because you are carrying 2 extra rounds of ammo in the DBM over the heavier floorplate.

all in all I'm happy with the purchase so far and will update when I get to the range and shoot some groups.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back