My Little Girl and Her Freaky Buck...

Big Sky

So my 14 year old daughter tells me that after killing a really big whitetail her first year (two years ago), that this year she would like a mule deer buck. She had to pick the year when deer numbers are the lowest they've been in probably 20 years in Montana. I told her I'd see what we could do, but wasn't going to make any promises. I am kind'a lucky though. Out my classroom window where I teach I have a good view of a hillside. It is common to see deer on the hill. Today I noted quite a few deer were moving. So I asked my daughter if she wanted to go for a quick hike after school in and area where I'd heard there was a really freaky looking muley buck. She gave me that typical teenage look like "DUH!" Then replied she would be ready right after school. So we rushed home from school/work, changed clothes, and put the pedal to the metal to get to the trail head. We had about 1 1/2 hours of light to work with so we hiked quickly and glassed often along the way. First off we saw a couple mule deer does. Then a little further on I spotted an average 3x3 mule deer that my daughter passed on. Then another forkhorn, which she had no trouble passing either. We spotted a few more mule deer does and a pair of whitetail does. We were encouraged by all the deer sightings. I had a specific canyon I was trying to reach before dark. We made it with a little time to spare. We slowed as we neared the edge. I crept forward and told my daughter to be ready as there were often deer in this particular canyon. I had no sooner said that when I spotted the freaky buck standing majestically on a point, broadside, 200 yards away. He did not see us. I had my daughter put the bi-pod down on her 7mm08 Rem Mt. Rifle. I told her to hold right on his shoulder and when she was crazy steady to squeeze the trigger. I assured her she had time, and the buck didn't have a clue we were there. She got dogged in. Found the buck in her scope, caressed the trigger just right, and sent a 140gr. Federal Fusion bullet on its way. The buck leaped in the air, and catapulted downhill off the point. He made it 50 yards before piling up in a brushy hell-hole. The hugs and high 5's ensued! Not a bad shot considering the 30mph wind and 28 degree temperature without windchill figured in. We had a heckuva time reaching the buck, but finally did. I had to really grunt to get him up and out of the mess he was in so we could get some good photos. Now he isn't a mega-monster, but he's super cool and unique. He's a 6x5 with a 1 7/8" spread.
Nelly4CloseUp.jpg

In this photo below you can see he's got a body like a horse. Felt like a draft horse trying to pull him uphill by myself. ;)
DanielleandDad3Nov16.jpg

Last but not least here's the best part about being a dad for a guide. :D
DanielleandDad2Nov16.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics and story. Good job Dad and congrats to your daughter

Now that is cool. Congrats to your daughter. I would give anything to shoot a crazy looking buck like that. Great times together. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys. I agree with you Big Fin, I would like to get a freaky buck like this myownself. I've never killed a really freaky mule deer. I did kill a freaky whitetail a few years ago, but that's it for me in the freaky deer department.

We ran out of daylight to pack the buck out tonight. So I dressed him out and we had to leave him. The hike in and out is very steep, icey, and brushy. I did not want to risk hiking out in that kind of stuff, in the dark, with my daughter. I will take tomorrow off from work and go de-bone the buck. Load him on my pack and bring him out. However it might get interesting as the temperature is dropping fast. There is snow and 60mph wind predicted for tomorrow. Hope I can get in there and get him out before that crap starts. My biggest concern now is if he's frozen solid in the morning. That would make things a little too interesting.

Happy hunt and sweet, unique critter. Couple nice pics for the wall and memory.

Congrats to your daughter on a very cool and unique buck, and to you for getting her out there and making it happen. You both will remember that day for a long time.

Very well done Big Sky! Congrats to your daughter. Cool buck for sure.

Outstanding hunt and story. You get bonus points for the Dad/daughter hunt. Looks like she really appreciates it too.

Awesome stuff! Congrats to the both of you.

I wonder what the bottom jaw on that deer would tell us. Shows some classic examples of a deer on the downswing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back