My Hometown Needs Your Thoughts This Morning

smalls

Last night my hometown of Northwood, ND was hit by a tornado. Damage to the town was extensive which includes the destruction of a trailer park (it sounds cliche, but completely unfunny as I believe there is at least one fatality there). Northwood only has a population of about 1,000, most of which I grew up with and know on a first name basis. It's terrible feeling this damn helpless when you know there are close friends that are in need and you can't do a damn thing about it.

I've talked to my dad and he is ok and it sounds like everything on our farm is ok.

Saw that on our weather wire...sorry to hear about that smalls.
Here was the clip-

NORTHWOOD, N.D. (AP) - A tornado destroyed a mobile home park, killing one person, and blew out windows in a nursing home and school, officials said Monday. At least 18 people were injured.

``This town is a mess. This town is a disaster,'' said Kevin Dean, a spokesman for the town's emergency operations center. ``There's virtually nothing ... that hasn't been damaged.''

Residents of the town's health center, which includes a small hospital and a 77-bed nursing home, were moved into corridors before the storm struck and no one was injured, said nursing director Carla Sletten.

Wreckage and fallen power lines blocked some streets after the twister Sunday night. Electricity was cut off to the entire city as a precaution, and authorities set up barricades to keep people out of the town. Generators were set up for the health center, and the school was closed Monday because of the damage.

Bonnie Fisher was visiting a friend in the mobile home park when the tornado struck.

``We heard the sound, which was just like a roaring train, and just as we were trying to get out, the lights went out, the windows shattered and the next thing we knew, we were down, and the trailer was on top of us,'' Fisher said.

A 57-year-old resident of the mobile home park, was killed, Dean said.

The community, 30 miles southwest of Grand Forks, has about 950 residents.

We've had a couple bad ones while I've lived here..sorry to hear of yours....takes a while to recover.

That sucks Smalls... sounds like it could have been worse [deaths] with all of that damage......Are tornado's common up there?

Smalls:

Sorry to hear about that. Hope the folks are able to pick up the pieces and get their lives back together.

Bad news.

Smalls,
Adding your town folks to prayer list. It's always a terrible thing to have happen when an act of nature rips through a small community. Thank goodness no more casualty's than there were.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back