Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

My first elk tag... Utah

New Guy

Hello, Hunt Talkers!

Although I am a long-time information thief, I am new to posting in Hunt Talk. Because I live in Texas, and I only have one season of experience in the west, I have never felt like I had any valuable information to share, so I consistently cruised through threads (even before I joined) in search of information on different units to which I apply. I know how poorly it can be perceived when folks jump on here for information, but never seem to contribute otherwise, so I hope this thread doesn't come across as greedy or selfish. I have always planned to acquire a few years of experience in western units before trying to contribute to the forum, thinking that I would only ask for help after I had helped others. After all, it should take at least a handful of years to draw a Limited Entry tag worthy of asking for help on anyway, right? Apparently not...

I am very lucky to be one of 3 (assuming no change from 2018) nonresidents to draw an archery bull tag in the Southwest Desert Unit of Utah... FOR MY FIRST EVER ELK TAG... and I drew it (I know this will anger some people) with 2 points. I am well aware of the poor drawing odds in Utah; I believe the drawing odds for this tag were around 0.6%-0.7% with 2 points last year. In fact, two weeks ago I was just thinking about taking Randy's advice to make Utah my lowest priority, possibly removing it from my 2020 applications.

I have been building points in Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, Utah and Wyoming for several years now, but the time requirements of graduate school have limited me from going on a hunt until last year, when I went on an archery deer hunt in southwest Colorado. I have been making plans all spring to go on an OTC deer/elk hunt in Idaho this fall, thinking I am still several years away from drawing a Limited Entry tag... and that's about when I got a slap across the chest from my wife asking, "What did you spend $800 on from Utah Big Game Permit?"

Because it may be 25 years before I can elk hunt again in Utah, I want to make sure I do this hunt the proper justice, and that means turning over every rock I can in search of information. I plan to take a scouting trip sometime in July/August, and I have already spent lots of time e-scouting the unit; I have camping spots, glassing points, and roads mapped out on OnX. I have several friends willing to come along to help glass/scout, but none of us has any connections or experience in the area. If anyone has any leads on who to talk to, what the road systems are actually like (learned the hard way in CO), or what elevation to try in early September, I would be very appreciative.

Given the poor draw odds and trophy potential (especially with this year's moisture) in this unit, I have not completely ruled out hiring a guide, but I would much rather make the trip with my buddies. I know I would have more fun with them, and that success would be much more gratifying, but I am also not naive enough to believe that I can be as lethal as a local, especially on my first elk hunt. Mostly, I just don't want to go get skunked. Asking for thoughts and opinions; I will do my best to return the favor whenever possible. Thank you all, and best of luck as application season winds down!

Last edited:
Welcome and congrats on a great tag. Focus on as many encounters as possible. One of them will come together.

The season dates are early in Utah. Given the open nature of the unit you drew, don't rule out the possibility of spot and stalk hunting the first few days of your season. That might not be possible, given how far you are traveling. If you can only make one trip, make it toward the end of that season.

Be aggressive in your efforts, both in how much you move and how much you call. UT and NV have some of the most vocal elk I've encountered. Many think it is too hot in those states for much elk activity until late September, but in my experience deer hunting there in late August, the elk seem to start bugling in late August.

Given how wet of a year it is, and if the monsoon season follows the early pattern of this year, water will be somewhat difficult to make an ambush plan around. But, they still have to drink and they like to use their historical water locations if not disturbed.

Expect a lot of company for each tagholder. Part of the UT gig is that each tagholder brings 5-8 guys with him. It can create a much more crowded feeling than you would expect based on the published tag numbers.

Good luck.

Welcome and congrats on a great tag. Focus on as many encounters as possible. One of them will come together.

The season dates are early in Utah. Given the open nature of the unit you drew, don't rule out the possibility of spot and stalk hunting the first few days of your season. That might not be possible, given how far you are traveling. If you can only make one trip, make it toward the end of that season.

Be aggressive in your efforts, both in how much you move and how much you call. UT and NV have some of the most vocal elk I've encountered. Many think it is too hot in those states for much elk activity until late September, but in my experience deer hunting there in late August, the elk seem to start bugling in late August.

Given how wet of a year it is, and if the monsoon season follows the early pattern of this year, water will be somewhat difficult to make an ambush plan around. But, they still have to drink and they like to use their historical water locations if not disturbed.

Expect a lot of company for each tagholder. Part of the UT gig is that each tagholder brings 5-8 guys with him. It can create a much more crowded feeling than you would expect based on the published tag numbers.

Good luck.
Thanks, Randy! My whole group has done lots of spot and stalk hunting, so we've been trying to leverage our skill set by focusing on glassing locations so far. None of us has ever called an elk before, so I am a little nervous about putting too many eggs in that basket. However, the plan as of now, is to try to hit the end of the hunt (ends Sep 13) in hopes of finding bugling elk. If nothing else, maybe they'll be visible.

The selfish side of me tells me I am dumb not to capitalize on such a rare opportunity at a wall-hanger, but most of me just wants to share the adventure with my friends. They would all me as appreciative, if not more, as I am for the opportunity.

p.s. currently watching your NM antelope hunt on Prime!

Last edited:
Congrats. SW desert does not usually experience the monsoon season like AZ and NM, so hope for a dry Aug and know where the water is. That being said the NOAA is forecasting a wetter than normal summer in Utah. At least that's good for back ends. Have a second spair for your truck and trailers. There's a substantial road system, but it's known to eat up tires. I was actually going to go down there this weekend but we're socked in with rain.

Congrats. SW desert does not usually experience the monsoon season like AZ and NM, so hope for a dry Aug and know where the water is. That being said the NOAA is forecasting a wetter than normal summer in Utah. At least that's good for back ends. Have a second spair for your truck and trailers. There's a substantial road system, but it's known to eat up tires. I was actually going to go down there this weekend but we're socked in with rain.
Thanks for the heads up on extra tires. Never would have thought about that. Coming from the ranching world, I am not allowed to wish for dry weather! Either way, I’ll focus on water if it’s in short supply. I assume elk tend to spread out more if water is available everywhere?

There’s a UT elk guide that is a guest on the Gritty podcast and I think Jay Scott. He talks about how to pattern them in early archery. You might want to give it a listen. If you can manage a scouting trip this is one of the situations where preseason scouting may actually be pretty useful.

Welcome to HT.

I lived in Utah for over 20 years and I am moving to TX in July. Given the tag you drew, the distance, and hunt dates...I would hire a guide. The chance of you getting that tag again is almost zero. I have always been a DIY guy myself but hired a guide when I drew AZ unit 9 archery elk early.

It was a great experience and I had my buddy tag along. If I can help, please let me know. I know several people with good knowledge of the unit but it will be a zoo with the spike hunters and the typical Utah party (5-6 people scouting and calling like crazy) hunt.

Utah does not do any favors for the archery hunters.

Congrats on a great tag!

There’s a UT elk guide that is a guest on the Gritty podcast and I think Jay Scott. He talks about how to pattern them in early archery. You might want to give it a listen. If you can manage a scouting trip this is one of the situations where preseason scouting may actually be pretty useful.
I’ll check it out. Thanks!

Welcome to HT.

I lived in Utah for over 20 years and I am moving to TX in July. Given the tag you drew, the distance, and hunt dates...I would hire a guide. The chance of you getting that tag again is almost zero. I have always been a DIY guy myself but hired a guide when I drew AZ unit 9 archery elk early.

It was a great experience and I had my buddy tag along. If I can help, please let me know. I know several people with good knowledge of the unit but it will be a zoo with the spike hunters and the typical Utah party (5-6 people scouting and calling like crazy) hunt.

Utah does not do any favors for the archery hunters.

Congrats on a great tag!

Thank you for the thoughts. I appreciate the perspective. We should be free of spike hunters during the last week of the season, correct? Where are you moving in Texas?

I am moving to the Dallas area.

What you will find is that people will be there to the last day of spike hunts and then the hoards will arrive a few days before rifle starts. You might have one or two days of limited people.

My experience is that the spike hunts will really cause the elk to go silent. It will take four to five days for them to calm down. Just in time for the rifle hunters to arrive.

After hunting in Utah for many years, I don’t put in for the archery hunts anymore.

Don’t take this a gloom and doom. You have a great tag and should have a great hunt. There is real
Potential for a great mature bull. The dates and crowds suck considering just how hard it is to draw the tag.

When I archery hunted the Dutton, the elk would talk Wednesday and Thursday and go silent the rest of the week. I was not prepared for the crowds prior to rifle. They had no issue disturbing the hunt for the archers as they scouted for the rifle.

I am moving to the Dallas area.

What you will find is that people will be there to the last day of spike hunts and then the hoards will arrive a few days before rifle starts. You might have one or two days of limited people.

My experience is that the spike hunts will really cause the elk to go silent. It will take four to five days for them to calm down. Just in time for the rifle hunters to arrive.

After hunting in Utah for many years, I don’t put in for the archery hunts anymore.

Don’t take this a gloom and doom. You have a great tag and should have a great hunt. There is real
Potential for a great mature bull. The dates and crowds suck considering just how hard it is to draw the tag.

When I archery hunted the Dutton, the elk would talk Wednesday and Thursday and go silent the rest of the week. I was not prepared for the crowds prior to rifle. They had no issue disturbing the hunt for the archers as they scouted for the rifle.
Well, that’s frustrating. I appreciate the feedback, and we’ll try to take it into consideration. Maybe we just need to get as far from a road as possible. Not sure there’s much opportunity for that in the unit, but worth looking into. I live just north of DFW, so if there’s ever anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Congrats and welcome! All the advice above is spot on. If you will only be happy with a mature bull, then you may want to seriously consider hiring a guide. If you are more focused on the experience, especially since this is your first elk hunt, then do all the research you can this summer and do all you can to make at least one trip to Utah for scouting. If that’s not possible, watching Fin’s e-scouting series will be very useful. Good luck!

Congrats on a stellar tag! With the wet season and lower harvest rates in general across the state last year the stars may align for a real monster.

I'd recommend joining either Huntin' Fool or Epic Outdoors and gleaning from their previous tag holder information. Basically you pay the $100 and join their services and then with proof of you drawing that tag they will give you contact info for people that have previously held that tag. From my experience a lot of those tag holders realize its a OIL tag for most and will share plenty of valuable information. Good luck.

Congrats on a stellar tag! With the wet season and lower harvest rates in general across the state last year the stars may align for a real monster.

I'd recommend joining either Huntin' Fool or Epic Outdoors and gleaning from their previous tag holder information. Basically you pay the $100 and join their services and then with proof of you drawing that tag they will give you contact info for people that have previously held that tag. From my experience a lot of those tag holders realize its a OIL tag for most and will share plenty of valuable information. Good luck.
Epic Outdoors is my next step, along with contacting a Utah biologist. Want to make sure I’ve got as much information gathered before I talk to them, so I don’t waste anyone’s time. Some first-hand knowledge could make a huge difference in helping me go DIY. Thanks for the info! I appreciate all this help.

Let us know how you did. I will be heading there in two weeks for muzzleloader bull elk and would love to hear your experience.

Back