Caribou Gear Tarp

My Diatribe, 2nd edirtion

Gunner46

I went on a rant about 10 yrs ago about what we, the average Joe's NeedS to punch a tag....no matter where, no matter what. The premise pretty much remains the same.

1) Shot placement, from whatever angle, lung shot.

2) I don't give a hoot what you decide to shoot, but a 7mm/08, or a 308, is enough for anyone. IF you need bigger, you need ALOT bigger!

3) Yardage.... You can get Alot closer than you think, just be careful. My longest shot ever was 247 corn rows.
All the rest were easily within 100 yds. (40+)

4) You don't need a sub-zero group. The yardage that you can hit a paper plate is your max. Go forth and be ethical.

5) A well placed bigger hole, at a moderated speed, is more sure than any speed demon....

6) Asking people their opinions is pointless.............

I wouldn't always disagree with #6, BUT HT prolly wouldn't exist if true.

I went on a rant about 10 yrs ago about what we, the average Joe's NeedS to punch a tag....no matter where, no matter what. The premise pretty much remains the same.

2) I don't give a hoot what you decide to shoot, but a 7mm/08, or a 308, is enough for anyone. IF you need bigger, you need ALOT bigger!

3) Yardage.... You can get Alot closer than you think, just be careful. My longest shot ever was 247 corn rows.

4) You don't need a sub-zero group. The yardage that you can hit a paper plate is your max. Go forth and be ethical.

5) A well placed bigger hole, at a moderated speed, is more sure than any speed demon....

1)
2) that's not really how physics works or in my understanding the point of various calibers
3) mostly... kinda... I guess given enough time maybe. I've killed 5 elk under 200 yards, but I've also gotten into some sticky mountain situations where 350 to 400 was going to be the best case scenario and given the constraints of the hunt the alternative was going home empty handed.
4) MOA.... so a sub-zero group is a paper plate at some point.
5) this isn't how things work
6) you started it bud

200w.gif

This seems great...for whitetails in the Midwest.

Cowboy, does my 50 yrs of AZ, WY, NM, HI, NC, Canada, Fla, + ....bean fields, Grassland, Sage, Volcanic ridges, swamp muck hunting weigh into my assessment before I wrote it? Hmmmm? The Truth is we All can be served very well with a moderate weapon and not ballistic charts.

Case in point. I went to WY with a 7/08. My brother was in Fla with a 30/30, Next month....back yard BBQ. Great way to make friends, meet your neighbors, and have a 20 something cute as hell Blonde, just jaw drop and stare up at you blubbering ......" Those are Flintstone ribs" !!!

Yep! Dig in Sweety.....

Cowboy, does my 50 yrs of AZ, WY, NM, HI, NC, Canada, Fla, + ....bean fields, Grassland, Sage, Volcanic ridges, swamp muck hunting weigh into my assessment before I wrote it? Hmmmm? The Truth is we All can be served very well with a moderate weapon and not ballistic charts.

Case in point. I went to WY with a 7/08. My brother was in Fla with a 30/30, Next month....back yard BBQ. Great way to make friends, meet your neighbors, and have a 20 something cute as hell Blonde, just jaw drop and stare up at you blubbering ......" Those are Flintstone ribs" !!!

Yep! Dig in Sweety.....
You win. I guess you're just a better hunter than me. I like my 338 for elk (although I've killed elk with a 270, 30-06, and 300 WM) because if anything goes wrong, I'm not a African bushman-esque tracker, plus I'm usually about 150 yards from private, so I need them down when I shoot. I try to get close (all my elk have been killed at 150 yards or less), but in 30 years of antelope hunting in the sage flats, there are times when 300 yards is the best you can get. I can shoot pie plates past 500 yards easily, but I've never felt like shooting that far while hunting. And a far as caribou go, there is no "getting closer," they run around on a treeless tundra like chickens without heads -- you can't sneak up up them or run them down, you can only try to intercept them. Anyways, I think blanket statements covering all species, locations, terrain, and situations are suspect at best.

You win. I guess you're just a better hunter than me. I like my 338 for elk (although I've killed elk with a 270, 30-06, and 300 WM) because if anything goes wrong, I'm not a African bushman-esque tracker, plus I'm usually about 150 yards from private, so I need them down when I shoot. I try to get close (all my elk have been killed at 150 yards or less), but in 30 years of antelope hunting in the sage flats, there are times when 300 yards is the best you can get. I can shoot pie plates past 500 yards easily, but I've never felt like shooting that far while hunting. And a far as caribou go, there is no "getting closer," they run around on a treeless tundra like chickens without heads -- you can't sneak up up them or run them down, you can only try to intercept them. Anyways, I think blanket statements covering all species, locations, terrain, and situations are suspect at best.

I can't believe caribou are any harder to get close to than antelope - I've shot them with flintllocks, and better men and women than I have shot them with stickbows. Caribou too.

There seems to be a mentality that if you can see it you should be able to kill it. But hunting is finding it AND getting close enough to kill it. If they are in a position where you aren't capable with a reasonable weapon then move on, or get better. The longer range weapons only serve to shorten seasons, reduce tags, and generally make hunting more like grocery shopping. I think that is more or less what the @Gunner46 diatribe all is about.

At least that is how I see it.

Brent, you are getting close to my gist.Yeah, when I was younger & less experienced I carried a 7 Mag, and even a 338 WM. Did I fill more tags, did I shoot more accurately???? Nah.

It was when I got the Rem 600 308 that my Dad bought for my 16th B'Bay, but didn't give me until I was 30 that I down sized. My wife cursed that day. We had to go buy a freezer to keep up with Bambi burgers. Can't truly explain the difference, but I shifted from "Any range, Anywhere" to D@mn I need to get closer.

Yeah, a shift in attitude seems correct.

About 30 tags later, I found a Ruger 7/08 for $299 on Davidsons. BINGO !!

What can I say? 100% first shot, Night-Night, stoke up the grill......

We need to think, enjoy, "hunt", more than just learn to put a bullet in X spot way out there.

I would pretty much agree with the op. I shot a 6 point bull last fall with a 6.5 Creedmoor, and a Berger, no less, and watched him run 60 yards and tip over.

Shot placement and bullets........

Back