Yeti GOBOX Collection

My Dall Caribou hunt

Lawnboy

I only had 5 days to try and get this all done. All the locals say I'm nuts to think I can come up and try to get a sheep in 5 days. I'm beginning to think they are right. My brother had just finished a week hunt with my dad and brother and was still nursing his wounds. His wife had a caribou tag like I did so she was along. We were going to hunt 2-3 days for a caribou and try to fit a couple in for sheep. We headed off Tuesday morning looking for bou and sheep in the rocks above.

We came across a couple smaller bulls but nothing to get excited about. While trying to get my sister in law to see a bull through the spotter she says I see a bigger one that's laying down. Sure enough higher up on the side hill there's a real pretty bull fighting flys. He has an awesome cape and color to him. All the Caribou we saw were darker in color but this guy looked awesome in the green foliage. I haven't hunted these guys before so I'm not great on size and got real excited to see this one. I have seen way bigger up higher in the basins by the sheep but getting them out would kill you. My sister in law had only 2 days to hunt due to the little ones at home so we decided to let her go for it.

When you're looking in Alaska at green bottoms and some Alders that lead up to the rocks you think "Ah we'll just go right up that grassy looking stuff and get em". Ya right. The green junk is dwarf birch bushes and Alders sometimes 10' tall. We soon realized that even though the bull was a mile off the trail it was going to be a chore to reach him fighting the brush. We made a great stalk and popped out 330 yards below him. the only problem was that the brush was so high that the shot would have to be off hand. We didn't feel comfortable with that so tried to get higher and closer. Fighting the alders on hands and knees we made it to were we thought we would be under a 100 yards. The brush was noisy on our pants and I couldn't believe that we could even get in on him. We kept moving forward looking for any sign of his gray velvet rack above the brush. We soon realized that he must of heard or smelled us. We split up about 50 yards apart to just cover the last 70 yards of were he had been. My sister in law is short and the brush was hard for her to navigate except when I was on my hands and knees in the alders, she could walk right through them. Me being tall kept moving forward cautiously looking. Suddenly I see him just above me and he wheels around. I whistle to them that he's just above them. He spooks and climbs this little dirt/rock pile and stops broadside. She throws the gun up but is struggling to hold steady and clear the brush in front of her. She fires and nothing happens. I hear her jack another shell in and the caribou moves up a little higher. The whole time I'm right on him and am waiting for her to hit him. We had previously discussed that if she hit him and he was moving out that I should shoot as well to make sure we would get him. She also said If I don't have a shot you better shoot as well. She lives there and isn't limited to only 5 days like me.

I wait for a few seconds for her to shoot again but nothing happened. I'm taller and am higher up so I had a full view of him. I yelled shoot again but nothing and he begins to high tail it out of sight. When he moved ahead he was completely out of her view. I fired a shot at a now quartering sharp bull and hear it thwack him. He immediately starts coughing from signs from a lung hit and stumbles out of sight. We went up and found him laying there.
He's not the biggest bull in the world but his mane and cape color is awesome. I think he's older and beginning to receed some. I was bummed that she didn't hit him but glad that at least we were able to take such a beautiful animal. Being stupid because the weather was so nice we left the rain gear and heavy packs down below while we stalked in. A big rain storm came in and soaked us during the quartering and packing.
car1.jpg

car2.jpg
When he fell in the brush his velvet was already getting torn apart. Just in taking the hero shots my hands were squishing through the velvet.

car3.jpg

car4.jpg
My younger brother is a stud. He packed a whole sheep out last week 80 pounds for 6 hours and this dude came in at 100lbs with one hind, front quarter, neck and rib meat and the head and horns. The rain was soaking in that hide and he was suffering. Mine weighed maybe 70. I owe him big time. He says he thinks he's shorter after packing 2 big loads out in the last 7 days.

I'll continue the sheep hunt story and photos later. My wife is wanting some attention after being gone and I'm up typing on Hunttalk.

Enjoy!

Sheesh! To make that a wall mount, you'll need an A frame house to get that one to fit!

Very nice Lawnboy!

Sweet! Congrats on a very good looking bull, Lawnboy. Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Your right, very pretty cape on that bull. Congrats on a great animal.

That's a great looking bull Lawnboy. Congrats. Are you getting mounted with that beautiful cape?

That is some sweet shooting. I know your 270 wsm can circumsize a knat at 100 yards and you did just that.

Ok Oak I'll finish the adventure.Those pills really work.;)
We decided to head up into a new sheep area and try our luck. My brothers wife had to head home to Fairbanks due to one of his little guys had to go to the emergency room for trouble breathing. This has happened before so she said you guys go have fun but call me from the mountain after the first night and I'll let you know if he's ok. So off we went.
Decided to try hiking a creek bottom with water and boulders to make it to the sheep area. The idea was to avoid fighting that nasty brush and alders that comes just out of the valleys. That stuff can really ruin your hunt and time hiking. 4 hours later we make it to the head of an awesome drainage. It wasn't a horrible hike but I'm wooped after hauling out the caribou and a short night. It rained and drizzled the whole way in. Our clothes were still damp after packing the caribou out in the rain. We dropped the packs and made our way to a summit before dark. The cloud ceiling was real low and we couldn't hardly see anything. We headed back to set the tent up and eat and climb in our bags to warm up. The ran began to pound down. We ended going to bed at 7 and stayed there till 7 in the morning. The weather was rotten. You couldn't see more than 200 yards with the cloud cover and misty rain crap.
We decide to hike anyway hoping that it would break and we could maybe make a call out to see how his kid. was. We spent 5 hours up on some windy nasty rock trying to get reception but nothing. Finally a small break in the clouds and we have some ewes just below us and a smaller ram. Started to get excited but then the clouds came and you couldn't see a thing. I'm really frustrated. I know we are in a great spot but if you can't see the ridges and hill around you, you just aren't going to find sheep. We soon realize that we arent' going to make a phone call and we better hike back and begin to pack camp. Just above camp we catch another break. The cloud lifts and we can see good. We immediatly spot a ram laying out on a ledge at lower elevation. We have a great hillside just under us but we can't see all of it. We decide to cut across a rock slide and glass the nice grass hillside under us.
Halfway across the rocks my brother notices some sheep running in our direction in the bottom below us. A quick spot and they are rams. We also noticed 3 more rams that are staring at us from a long way off. They are above the ones heading our way. They surely see us and won't take their eyes off us. The good thing is that the other 3 didn't see us and they are now on our hillside under us. The far off 3 rams are nervous and begin to climb and move away. We sneak across the hill and try to find the ones under us. we do and they are only 600 yards away feeding. One looks to be real close to full curl and is heavy. From a steep upper angle you just can't tell anything. we decide to get closer and on the same elevation to check him out. If he was legal I would have a 200 yard shot. I was excited.

the original "spooked" rams are now climbing higher and fast. Just as we begin to drop elevation and look at him. Our group looks across the canyon at the spooked ones and decide ah heck we'll cross over 1000 yards and join them. I'm crushed at this point. Our only hope is to watch were they go and try to catch up after they calm down. We head back to were we started knowing they had just crossed through a small saddle. As we got to the saddle the clouds roll in and you can't see a thing. We tried to follow them but it was no use. the trip was over due to the fact that we needed to get out to find out how his little boy was. It killed us to leave after such a short time knowing that the rams were somewhere close by and if the cloud would lift we could find them.
we headed out frustrated another 4 hour hike down that nasty boulder creek bottom. We get out at just after midnight.
He calls his wife and she says that the little guy was fine. Man we just left a great sheep spot and I only have 1 day left. We spent the last day doing a day hike up a neat canyon and saw some ewes and lambs. I ended up getting nothing but had a good time. It was one of the most physically and mentally challenging hunts I've been on. Maybe next year. I didn't take many pictures due to the weather and that you just couldn't see anything. Here are some that I did take.

car6.jpg
this is just when the clouds lifted the last time. The rams ended up just below us. the spooked ones were on the far mountain side.

car7.jpg
Pretty unforgiving but awesome country

car9.jpg
The last day the weather was great but no sheep. Might of been because of that blue camo shirt I had:rolleyes:
car5.jpg
Dessert on the last day. Lots of blueberries makes it hard to focus on sheep:D

Back