my 6 year old sons first deer!

IndianaJames

my son Henry (almost 7) has killed his first deer. Indiana just had some new rifle rule changes so bought him a 300 blackout setup early this year and we practiced with it quite a bit. The way he was shooting i felt he could make a clean shot inside 50 yards. I took him during our youth season in September with no luck but I told him many times that hunting can be difficult at times and that you have to keep trying if you want to be successful. I brought him back out on the afternoon of our opening day of firearms season. I was going to let him take the first deer he could regardless of its size or age but this but this kid got lucky and the first deer that he ever had a opportunity on was this decent little 8 pointer!

He came out about an hour before dark at 30 yards and the wind was in our favor. I seen him first and whispered to my son to quietly get in position and I handed him his gun. I was shaking badly from excitement. By the time he got ready to fire the deer had moved out to 50 yards or so but i told him to take the shot and he did. I knew he hit the deer and thought it was a good hit judging by the bucks reaction. the buck moved out but slowed down before going back into the woods he came from and i told henry to shoot again! he hit high and caught the spine on the second shot and down he went. I ranged him at 97 yards where he fell. I took a short video after the hunt. I will post that link up later.

I have never been a huge ar15 guy but i gotta say it works out very well for young hunters.
adjustable stock length, low recoil, semi auto, and a red dot means no eye relief or parallax.

Thanks for viewing and good luck

Attachments

• henry2.JPG
    henry2.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 299
  • henry1.JPG
    henry1.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 288
Congratulations to the both of you. Sounds like he has a wise mentor making sure he was ready at the range first, and then coaching through the process. I hope he's a long time hunting buddy for you.

Very nice! He sure looks like a happy little fellow! Nice start to what I hope is a long and successful hunting career!

Congrats to the young hunter and to Dad as well! Job well done!

John

From preparation to finish that is solid on all accounts. Thumbs up, great job dad!!! great job kid!!! and nice buck!!!!! Kevin.

Congratulations!! Very happy for you both, brings back good memories. Keep up the good work at home and in the field.

Awesome, good way to start'em young, they just changed the rules here in Idaho and you have too be 10, my daughter turns 10 in Apr. I can't wait, and I agree that the red dot site is the way to go for a young hunter, my daughter love's it on her .204,
Matt

Great job Henry!! I'm hoping to get a deer close enough for my 6yo. We saw a bunch over the opening weekend, but 85yds was the closest they got except for the one his brother shot...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back