Yeti GOBOX Collection

My 2020 season in photos

Please share some info on those night time pictures. Camera, settings? They are awesome!

I use a Canon 6D with 2-3 lenses. Typically use my 50mm and 14mm the most especially when packing in. I always shoot in manual. For night shots, you obviously need a tripod and a super long exposure. You need a good wide angle lense and low f-stop like a 2.4. Every shot has different settings but typically in that 10+ second exposure and a really high iso 16k+. The hardest part of it all is usually climbing out of the sleeping bag in the middle of the night 🤣

This. I just snap pics with my cell phone but after seeing your photos I'm really interested in your camera setup.

See above.

That phone camera still takes damn good photos though and is about 4.5 pounds lighter 🤣 The new technology on phone cameras is really something. I still like my Canon though. I utilize both, alot.

After a week of scouting and beautiful weather, both a winter storm and my buddies from ND showed up the night before opener. I was able to share this hunt and get help from my Dad, two good buddies from back home, and a friend that is a resident who loves late elk hunts. Can't thank each of them enough for coming all the way down and helping me. Truly some of the best guys out there! Really made this hunt and base camp such a damn good time. Wouldn't have been as great of a hunt without them....and I would have been packing meat for about 4 days 🤣

After checking a bunch of places throughout the week and only seeing 2-4 bulls a day, I knew exactly where I wanted to be that I felt gave me the best chance at turning up an old bull. This place and this hunt was really tough. Hard to glass, massive country that is all relatively similar, lower densities, and really spread out.

20201107_065917.jpgIMG_20201124_142354_662.jpgIMG_20201124_142354_658.jpgIMG_3236.jpg20201108_171811.jpg

That is awesome. I really enjoyed those pictures. The quality of some of those shots were phenomenal. Thanks for sharing.

The first two days of the hunt were uneventful mainly due to weather. Pouring rain, sleet, and then snow with high winds and no visibility. The bulls we did turn up just were not quite what I was hoping for so I elected to pass. I snuck into 200 yards of a beautiful 330-340ish tops bull, but he was completely missing his left 4th and 5th. I wasn't ready to be done anyways.

The next morning brought more snow and zero visibility with gusting winds. We decided to hike in anyways. Glad we did. Every once in a while the fog would blow through and open up giving a few seconds to glass. We turned up one bull right away and I passed. A minute later another bull. Probably 330ish bull and about 200 yards past him stood a significantly larger bodied bull by himself. I looked him over as best I could with the elements and immediately decided he was worth dropping in on. Huge body, dark rack, tons of mass, and unique fronts. About the time we slid down the canyon and were starting to stalk in on him, the whiteout began. Rangefinder wouldn't read past 15 yards and the sleet, snow, and gusting wind were really making it tough to locate him. I finally did at 300 yards but literally couldn't get him in my scope with the elements and also didn't feel comfortable in case I needed a follow up. He was feeding into a dark timber canyon and was on the edge so I needed to make a decision. I figured if I couldn't sneak within 150 yards of him to the edge with these elements I didn't deserve an opportunity anyways. So I snuck in and crawled up on him. Range finder still didn't work but I felt good. I knew he was within 150 yards (guessing 110-120?) and it was all brown hide in my scope. I made a perfect shot and he went off the cliff. I stayed up high and my buddy hiked over to where I shot. He basically died on his feet and fell/slid to the bottom. Really, really fun stalk and adrenaline rush. I hope I never lose that feeling while out hunting.

IMG_20201124_145514_651.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back