Caribou Gear

Gift for someone helping on a hunt

Pendleton blanket for them.
I love knives but want to buy my own unless I pick one out specifically for someone else to buy me.

Have a nice bottle of bourbon in camp for after the hunt, or whatever they like to drink.

Have a nice bottle of bourbon in camp for after the hunt, or whatever they like to drink.
This is a great idea. Since we are using a float plane but instead a charter boat to get to the island, we are packing a few tubs of extra stuff to leave on the beach locked and chained to some trees mostly to bear proof them. Putting a bottle of whiskey in there certainly is doable.

I've saved all of mine and they sit in my gun cabinet doing nothing so I actually don't have much of an attachment to them
OK, I understand that thought. Not trying to poo-poo the idea, I just feel it would be more of the hunter type thing and a helper wouldn't put as much meaning to someone else's trophies. Then again, I don't know what your helpers like or dislike. Good luck figuring it out!

I can't believe it has taken this long for someone to post up a photo or suggestion with elk ivories in a knife...
I've had custom bolos made for my dad and my husband with the ivories. Both turned out amazing!

I true friend that comes along for the ride does not need or expect anything IMO. They are there because they want to be for the adventure/vaca/fun of it....Otherwise they would have just said no.

Oh I totally missed that the people coming would be non-hunters. If any friends offer to pack out (we've had some epic hauls) we always offer meat in exchange for the help. If they're vegetarians then you should rescind the invite ;p

Oh I totally missed that the people coming would be non-hunters. If any friends offer to pack out (we've had some epic hauls) we always offer meat in exchange for the help. If they're vegetarians then you should rescind the invite ;p
Meat sharing is totally a given isn't it?

A memory book of photos taken on the trip, or a framed photo of a special vista, camp spot, meal or group photo as you embark, or at your collective worst to commemorate the adventure. I have seen others do shirts and ballcaps with customized messages as well.
This. I did collage/canvas (Shutterfly) for my brother after his bear hunt - when I was the helper. It was for one those family name exchanges at Christmas. Brought tears to his eyes for $30.

That said, a trip to Middle-of-Nowhere, AK probably warrants an additional gift too. Wasn’t somebody around here doing some sweet coaster sets with various game animals and such etched on them (same metalsmithing thread?). A year subscription to OnX or the like? Be their guide for a weekend of hunting or fishing back home?

Good luck on the adventure!

Thats place is in pheonix and no actual alaskans, need to keep it regionally appropriate and realistic. Bonus is got to be cheaper also!
View attachment 283671

here I fixed it...

https://www.akbushcompany.com/

I think the two could be the same company. I had a friend who migrated biannually between AK-AZ for what he claimed was a job in fire suppression systems for the Oil patch. At the time I was there he claimed the AK Bush Co girls wintered at the Spearmint Rhino in Vegas. Perhaps the Phoenix location is a new development.

Here is what I ended up doing as one item for my two hunting partners to remember the trip thanks to the great @p_ham . Turned out great and I'm sure they will appreciate it as something small they can place on their desk or something. 3 shots, all into the elk and one for each that helped (my wife is so lucky she gets one!)

20231201_190157.jpg

Belt buckle and or flannel
I second the belt buckle idea. Look at the Barlow scrimshaw collection. I actually have one with elk design that was a gift. I wear it with my shooting bag at trap range. My everyday buckle is the horse packer design from Montana Silversmith. My late wife gave it to me for Christmas more than twenty years ago.

Last edited:
Back