Gift for someone helping on a hunt

seeth07

So the thread about @p_ham and his metalsmithing endeavors led to someone making a comment about how one of those metal etched photos would make for a good gift to a hunting partner and @Dsnow9 in that thread shared what he has done with his goat hooves.

What types of options are out there that people have done? I'm looking for ideas. This fall I drew one of the 6 Elk tags for Raspberry Island in AK and it will no doubt be a one of a kind experience. I was able to convince a good work buddy of mine as well as my wife's step dad to come along on this adventure and I like the idea of doing something for thanking them afterwards (beyond paying for their airline tickets!).

How about a really nice knife for each of them engraved with something about the hunt. Raspberry Island 2023, something like that.

Ruana Knives made in Bonner Montana. Great knives built like Rudy Ruana did starting back in 1938, one at a time.

5AD & Steelhead model are two of my favorites but I really like several of the others also.

1689091342119.png

I'm seeing a pattern with there being quite the appreciation on this forum for nice knives...

I feel a knife is a personal choice...like Art.

Helping on a hunt is more of an exchange. I help you, you help me. I do my best to make your experience enjoyable during my hunt with a comfortable camp and good food. You will most likely make yourself busy so I am well rested and motivated to hunt hard.

Now if you want to do a group Tshirt- "Hunt Camp Raspberry 2023", then that's cool, if it's your thing. But don't underestimate the value of your company.

I do my best to make your experience enjoyable during my hunt with a comfortable camp and good food. You will most likely make yourself busy so I am well rested and motivated to hunt hard.
As much as I would like to do this, I'm not sure how "comfortable" and how "good" the food can be when we are going to be hunting on what I have heard of being described as "one of the most miserable places on earth to hunt". Potential for 60MPH winds, snow, rain, more rain, rain again should be it lots of type 2 fun!

I've given knives as thank you gifts. Also sent gift cards so he could take the family out to a nice dinner, if he's away from home helping me then that impacts their families as well.
One one hunt that my brother tagged along on to help out, I gave him a rifle. It was my favorite .270 but I know how much he really liked that particular rifle and it meant more to him than it did me.
I guess it all depends on how close you know the other person. And I agree with the poster above sometimes it's just plain old "you help me, I help you" Depending on the scenario.

Knives, ammo wallets, a quality garment piece (Filson is excellent..etc) for friends...strictly dough for guides. Have purchased mnore than a few good knives that will most likely end up with someone special to me...the ones gifted to me stay and make me smile to myself.

Right now I'm really liking the photo idea, many unique things I could do with that for sure. Bunch of photos pieced together, a single good moment, metal etched from pham not a bad option either as something different. I'm trying to think of something with the particular location, something I could bring back with me maybe. Or perhaps something with the elk if I end up being successful. Maybe something with the ivories?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back