My 2013 Wyoming Elk Hunt - The Novel

2013_wyoming_elk_score.jpg

I made an error on the main beam keying it in, it should have been 54 4/8 and I keyed it at 54 4/5 so I should have 1/2" more deduction than it shows. It added it up for the gross score correctly as 54 4/8, just didn't show up in the deduction column.

To me you should add the devils tine into the gross score so that would be 377 2/8" gross if I added it in. Net would be 365 4/8".

I actually just ran the tape on it again some today and I don't think there is any way that I'm stretching the tape far enough to miss it by 5" so I'm really thinking it is going to net minimum B&C.

The only measurements that could be off very much would be the 5ths. Since they have a natural curve to them I'm measuring them along the center of the tine and giving it a little of that curve. I'm measuring it along the yellow line. Would you measure it straight along the back end of the tine or measure it like I am?

elk_back_end_scoring.jpg

Still I don't think it is going to be off enough to short him 5 full inches.

That's a great score! Should make awards but won't go in the all time book. At the Missoula BC headquarters the scorers are brutal on where to draw the line.

Okay, after a somewhat nerve wracking morning with the official scorer here in Lubbock, I now have an official score on my bull. It was close, but he made it!

The biggest differences were on the mass measurements, I just used a seamstress tape and just measured about where it looked like it would be the smallest. He used the official 1/4" steel tape and went back and forth and back and forth and found the absolute smallest measurement and entered that. That is the correct way to do it, I just didn't think it would result in as much of a difference as it did.

The other decent difference was on where he drew the line on the G1s and G2's was a little less than I was measuring from and I measured along the bottom of the tine all the way around and he measured from the middle of the tine out and then out and up at the tip. That resulted in a little less length on those.

He ended up with 372 1/8 gross and 361 6/8" net when it was all said and done. Took a lot longer than I expected, close to 2 hours when it was all said and done before we had the official score sheet in ink signed off and ready to submit. I took a picture of the process, lots of masking tape, marking in pencil, measuring with the cable and then marking the end with a little clip, then measuring the cable, using the steel tape to measure the mass, etc.

scoring_process.jpg

Here's the official score sheet.

elk_official_score.jpg

I listed my friend Mike as my guide because he did have his resident guide license for me to be able to hunt the wilderness area. My bull was shot very close to the boundary between national forest and the wilderness area but I figured might as well list him as my guide just to avoid any potential issues or anything, not that it would on a bull that just barely makes it.

Still pretty excited about it. Now I guess I need to actually go through the process and spend the $40 to submit it.

Significant achievement IMO Nathan. I'd be excited also. Thanks for the detailed scoring tips but I'll probably keep doing it wrong.;)

Congrats again on a fine bull.

Congratulations on a tremendous bull. There is a lot of hard work and skill involved here. I missed the original post completely, and am glad that you posted the link. Great pictures - I especially liked the pack-out story and pictures, especially the shadow.

I was also very interested in the account of the bullet, especially since I have switched to copper bullets. When I saw the picture, my first thought was "Nosler Partition". Where did you find the bullet? How far do you figure he traveled, or how long was he on his feet after the shot? IMO, if this was a bullet failure, may all of your future bullets fail in the same manner!

Thanks again for posting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back