Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

My 1st Montana Deer tag is filled.

Sounds good to me , I’m in my early 50’s and do a lot of CrossFit to stay in hunt shape during the off season , I’m Always up for adventure, I’ll come down south , my close friends all went to region 7 a few years back twice in a row and all filled there tags. Deer and a speed goat or 2
Wow! 20 years your junior! I’ll be 31 in March. I smoke and drink a lot of beer to stay my normal self. 😂 I only have like two hunting friends, one I introduced to it and he isn’t infatuated with hiking and hunting like I am, the other is active military so I don’t get to kick it with him as much but he’s always dumbfounded when I’m hustling HIM 😂

I’m crushed. I’m going out tomorrow to hang with a couple of hunt talkers for a few days. They can tell me what a dick I am.
Oh, surely you wouldn’t be going with folks like that!

Nobody wants friends that tell them stuff that would hurt their feelings anymore, stuff they don’t wanna hear but should.

I can still be friends with a guy like you, because I like people that have different perspectives.. could you?

Not now, in too deep… I’m too drug fried…. Eh?

Wow! 20 years your junior! I’ll be 31 in March. I smoke and drink a lot of beer to stay my normal self. 😂 I only have like two hunting friends, one I introduced to it and he isn’t infatuated with hiking and hunting like I am, the other is active military so I don’t get to kick it with him as much but he’s always dumbfounded when I’m hustling HIM 😂

Ha ha ha , I needed to find some thing that kept me in the best physical shape that I could because I wanted to stay at or near the top of the best that I could be through my 50s so I could still hunt the way I want to and CrossFit does that for me , I’m not bragging like I’m the best on the mountain but I’m probably in better shape of most 35 to 40 year old dudes because of CrossFit and I was able to take out all 4 qtrs on my back on the pack out and JCS took out the tenderloins and backstraps with my pack

Ha ha ha , I needed to find some thing that kept me in the best physical shape that I could because I wanted to stay at or near the top of the best that I could be through my 50s so I could still hunt the way I want to and CrossFit does that for me , I’m not bragging like I’m the best on the mountain but I’m probably in better shape of most 35 to 40 year old dudes because of CrossFit and I was able to take out all 4 qtrs on my back on the pack out and JCS took out the tenderloins and backstraps with my pack
That’s awesome man! I grew up skateboarding, pretty aggressively. Handrails and big stairs.. I always said if I quit skating I’d probably get fat and die. Haha! When I had my first son I had to pretty much quit. Now he’s gonna be 9 and my youngest 5, and I hardly skate. Hiking in the woods is pretty major for my physical and mental health now. Thankfully construction work is my gym everyday. If I worked a desk job as a career I coulda kissed the mountains goodbye a long time ago 😂

That’s awesome man! I grew up skateboarding, pretty aggressively. Handrails and big stairs.. I always said if I quit skating I’d probably get fat and die. Haha! When I had my first son I had to pretty much quit. Now he’s gonna be 9 and my youngest 5, and I hardly skate. Hiking in the woods is pretty major for my physical and mental health now. Thankfully construction work is my gym everyday. If I worked a desk job as a career I coulda kissed the mountains goodbye a long time ago 😂

I live to hike hunt and explore the mountains, CrossFit just gives me the ability to still hike or descend any hill or canyon I want

Chris, my apologies for the stupidity polluting your thread. I’m out.
I even said I was kidding. I’ve caught a lot of crap and still try to remain positive.! You should too! You’re not a dick. We both have outspoken personalities and a difference in opinion and it leads to mean stuff being said. Sorry for dishin crap… have fun on your outing. Seriously.

It snowed last night , still having the WT doe tag , drove a short distance to a WT spot and see if I could turn up a road doe , I ain’t working hard , off course I find a young WT buck , he’s bedded right now at 180 from me in my truck ha ha ha , he’s a tall spike with what looks like a little fork on one side it’s snowing so pics are a little blurry EBA808BE-8E1B-48FA-8DDD-CC08010EF7F6.jpegBEADF121-4EE6-44EA-9BE1-BD922AEEED76.jpegFC252EE2-3B90-4BC4-AB6A-6281C4667FB0.jpeg

Congrats on the deer. You put lots of time and effort in on your 1st montana deer tag and the packout wasn't hard at all.
Glad to have helped.

Got the wife out for the late afternoon-evening hunt , nada , until we left public , didn’t make it a half mile and before we saw 2 bucks off the road and 18 total mule deer in the 1st mile leaving public, on a positive, the biggest buck didn’t like my truck being so close and hopped the fence and disappeared up the hill , the doe in the road with 2 yearlings went back down hill into the draw they just came out of , seconds later I catch movement to the left , here come the nice 3 point back over the fence across the road and down into the draw after that doe , things are getting rutty , hopefully it will allow for the wife to get a chance at a buck in the near future.
E19CA95A-4F3B-4749-993F-5CFD266F16D0.jpeg
079B13BE-7017-40B5-8FB9-7BEF6F42DCFB.jpeg

That was great read man!! I'm gonna echo what others have said, you really enjoy just being out there. Sorry about the heart being obliterated. Although a traditional heart shot is much better than a Texas Heart Shot. It may not have been what you wanted, it is fresh venison, it is meat in the freezer, and you had a buddy help you get him out. You found the positive and that's awesome. Good Luck on the rest of the season. Your hikes are gonna lead to more meat in the freezer!!! Can't wait to see what the rest of the season holds for you.

It’s a wrap, we were able to find a buck this morning and the wife made a great shot , 1 and done , it tipped over in its tracks and slid up against a tree. After my hunt the weather got serious here in Montana, snow and in the teens for a high every day. Even though we both upgraded our gear , we needed better cold weather boots , it definitely limited how we hunted as a result, short hikes from the truck out ridges a few hundred yards then back , is how we did it, saw a lot of big deer on private around areas we hunted, but a lot harder to turn up a buck on public.

We had a chance at a small buck Wednesday morning, but he slipped us , I told the wife Thursday morning if we can’t get a deer by Friday, we’re gonna take Saturday off and go upgrade some of our winter gear at the one of the outdoor stores in town , so next week we could hunt father out from our park points. But we got a deer , I am gonna still go in and look at some better cold weather gear and get more options to my hunting wardrobe, I didn’t like being limited by wether to how I wanted to hunt.

It was coming down Wednesday, there was actually 7 deer on this ridge even though you can’t see them all in the pic , never put horns on any , but still a cool moment
59BC3D52-7F57-4370-B529-AC20ECB86FB7.jpeg

Between a snow break on Wednesday I explored and old house on a patch of public
DEA32432-38CB-4CFD-B509-498FD7B13A69.jpeg4AF8254B-646A-40BC-A1FD-0F949D1A7072.jpegE2AB44BB-D9C5-4DB0-B6D4-F0E6A2275546.jpegC78F005F-7278-4D05-BD0D-CB587982D075.jpeg28BFB2BA-0F13-4A0A-9B88-C9BAB1D06832.jpegE2AB44BB-D9C5-4DB0-B6D4-F0E6A2275546.jpeg3D7E6B11-9BC1-4F36-944D-4A4DB875CBC4.jpeg54870FAF-3B12-4188-9A17-1457A925DABC.jpeg

The most surprising thing I found looking around was an old book, the back half was in rough shape but the 1st half was readable , the book was from 1955 kinda cool I thought
568E2B77-AE6F-46AF-897D-EDC331C4E9D5.jpeg09129450-6ECA-4EEF-93A8-554887F1CE43.jpeg64C89B3B-2F75-4D72-8C66-80D637F37569.jpegA29CEC53-5FFA-4FFA-A70C-EC0E736C5460.jpeg

The wife also heart shot her deer this year ,can’t believe we both got heart shots this year and no deer heart dinner this winter, I was watching the deer in the binos when she shot , I saw it jump a little and disappear, when I got to the spot where it was standing I knew it was toast from the blood at the spot of impact, then I saw the deer .

The ground at point of impact
D0929F73-69A5-471D-AB6A-B78691DDEA89.jpeg

And her buck as he lay and the grip n grin
EC2769B0-67AD-4822-9E44-3A0B94BEAC03.jpeg
D7592E2A-6995-41AB-A0CE-763A5B932899.jpeg

Very happy for her , it’s her 1st deer since her 2019 4x4 eastern Oregon mule deer , 2020 was tag soup and 2021 she had already relocated to Montana while I was stuck in Oregon waiting for my transfer. It’s not even 1:30pm and I’m on the couch with a beer, plus still got 9 days of vacation left to relax. No more 4am alarms to get up and go hunt, it’s a good day !!

Last edited:
Nice write up and congratulations on your wife getting her first MT mule deer.
I'm the opposite, I hunt Mule deer rather than WT deer. My wife spotted a huge WT this year and tried to talk me into shooting it, but I passed and took a medium mule deer. Looking back, that WT was probably on the bigger end for WT's than my mule deer was for MD, but I just like hunting mule deer too much.

Back