Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Music Madness!

Round Two

Deer Bracket

The Darkness - I Believe in a Thing Called Love vs Linkin Park - Leave Out All the Rest
I don't remember "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" being such a rockin song and it certainly is but doesn't quite have enough for the win. "Leave Out All the Rest" conquers the first #1 seed and moves on to the sweet 16.

AC/DC - Jailbreak vs Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing
Both songs are really good. I feel like the difference is AC/DC has a couple better songs than "Jailbreak" and "Sultans of Swing" has one of the best guitar riffs ever. "Sultans of Swing" advances in a close one.

Black Sabbath - War Pigs vs Whiskey Myers - Die Rockin'
Another tough choice. "War Pigs" is a good song even if I'm not the biggest Black Sabbath fan in the world. Whiskey Meyers has a lot going on; two drummers, four guitars, and a gospel choir and somehow it all works. Can you say: cinderella? "Die Rockin" is in the sweet 16.

Billy Joel - Piano Man vs Tom Petty - You Don't Know How it Feels
That's it, I don't want to play this game anymore! How am I supposed to pick between these two? I guess if I have to, "You Don't Know How it Feels" wins in quadruple overtime.

9) Linkin Park - Leave Out All the Rest (jabber)
13) Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing (OregonChris)

6) Whiskey Myers - Die Rockin' (codycoop95)
2) Tom Petty - You Don't Know How it Feels (Southern Elk)

Elk Bracket

Metallica - Sad But True vs REO Speedwagon - Roll With the Changes
I said to start with that I didn't like Metallica and while that sentiment still stands, "Sad But True" is not a bad song. "Roll With the Changes" moves on.

Journey - Separate Ways vs Crosby, Stills and Nash - Southern Cross
"Southern Cross" surprised me by winning its first match-up but can't recreate that magic this time around. "Separate Ways" make the journey (pun) to the sweet 16

Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me vs Outlaws - There Goes Another Love Song
Much like Crosby, Stills, and Nash, "There Goes Another Love Song" surprised in round 1 but doesn't advance in round 2. "Don't You Forget About Me" advances.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - The Ballad of Curtis Loew vs Drive By Truckers - Decoration Day
Is "Decoration Day" another cinderella? Maybe if not matched up against a powerhouse. Both are good songs but "The Ballad of Curtis Loew" takes this one and just might represent the Elk Bracket at the end.

9) REO Speedwagon - Roll With the Changes (Cheese Curd)
12) Journey - Separate Ways (Mtnhuntr)

3) Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me (Sytes)
10) Lynyrd Skynyrd - The Ballad of Curtis Loew (jvanhoy)

Sorry everyone, internet issues have been fixed so lets get back to the action.

Sheep bracket

Goodie Mob - Soul Food vs Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
This one was closer than I anticipated but "Stairway to Heaven" all the way.

Scorpions Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra - Rock You Like a Hurricane vs Steve Miller Band - Jet Airliner
This one isn't close. "Jet Airliner" in a blowout setting up a heavy bout with Led Zeppelin in the sweet 16

Tool - Pneuma vs Foo Fighters - Everlong
"Everlong" is just a really solid song. I know its a cliche to say a song is over-produced but that is exactly what comes to mind when I listened to "Pneuma". The vocal echo really takes away from some incredible drums. "Everlong" wins.

Journey - Don't Stop Believin' vs Bob Seger - Night Moves
A hard fought battle has to produce a winner. As much as both of these songs should be in the sweet 16, only one can be. "Night Moves" advances.

8) Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (Dave N)
13) Steve Miller Band - Jet Airliner (Southern Elk)

11) Foo Fighters - Everlong (rtraverdavis)
2) Bob Segar - Night Moves (Lone Elk)

Well, I still have one in the mix! Tough match-up coming, though. I like Jet Airliner but all things considered it's the same through the whole song. Stairway to Heaven slowly builds it's way up faster and harder throughout the entire length. Sort of like sex. Builds itself up more and more, then has the "ahhh" finish at the end. :cool: Not that I'm trying to sway the judge or anything...

Moose Bracket

Warren Haynes - Hattiesburg Hustle vs Three Dog Night - Never Been to Spain
A tough call because I think the music is better than the vocals in "Hattiesburg Hustle" but the vocals are better than the music in "Never Been to Spain". In a close one, "Hattiesburg Hustle" gets to the sweet 16

Glen Campbell - Gentle On My Mind vs Johnny Cash - Hurt
I will confess that I hadn't heard much of Glen Campbell before this tourney and am very impressed with his picking skills. Unfortunately, "Gentle On My Mind" is going up against my second favorite cover song of all time in this match-up. "Hurt" moves on.

Triumph - Fight the Good Fight vs Steve Miller Band - Quicksilver Girl
Triumph really fought the good fight in this bout. Just more juice than "Quicksilver Girl". "Fight the Good Fight" advances.

ZZ Top - Fool for Your Stockings (noharleyyet) vs AC/DC - Thunderstruck
Blues vs rock. In this particular pairing, rock beats scissors and blues. "Thunderstruck" grabs the final spot in the sweet 16.

1) Warren Haynes - Hattiesburg Hustle (Ridgerunner6901)
4) Johnny Cash - Hurt (jabber)

3) Triumph - Fight the Good Fight (6mm Remington)
2) AC/DC - Thunderstruck (Dave N)

Well, I still have one in the mix! Tough match-up coming, though. I like Jet Airliner but all things considered it's the same through the whole song. Stairway to Heaven slowly builds it's way up faster and harder throughout the entire length. Sort of like sex. Builds itself up more and more, then has the "ahhh" finish at the end. :cool: Not that I'm trying to sway the judge or anything...
I am certainly not above being swayed.

Sorry everyone, internet issues have been fixed so lets get back to the action.

Sheep bracket

Goodie Mob - Soul Food vs Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
This one was closer than I anticipated but "Stairway to Heaven" all the way.

Scorpions Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra - Rock You Like a Hurricane vs Steve Miller Band - Jet Airliner
This one isn't close. "Jet Airliner" in a blowout setting up a heavy bout with Led Zeppelin in the sweet 16

Tool - Pneuma vs Foo Fighters - Everlong
"Everlong" is just a really solid song. I know its a cliche to say a song is over-produced but that is exactly what comes to mind when I listened to "Pneuma". The vocal echo really takes away from some incredible drums. "Everlong" wins.

Journey - Don't Stop Believin' vs Bob Seger - Night Moves
A hard fought battle has to produce a winner. As much as both of these songs should be in the sweet 16, only one can be. "Night Moves" advances.

8) Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (Dave N)

11) Foo Fighters - Everlong (rtraverdavis)
2) Bob Segar - Night Moves (Lone Elk)
I would be perfectly content to allow the dictator to live out the rest of his life fat and wealthy IF Jet Airliner or Night Moves wins the music madness contest. ;)

Moose Bracket

Warren Haynes - Hattiesburg Hustle vs Three Dog Night - Never Been to Spain
A tough call because I think the music is better than the vocals in "Hattiesburg Hustle" but the vocals are better than the music in "Never Been to Spain". In a close one, "Hattiesburg Hustle" gets to the sweet 16

Glen Campbell - Gentle On My Mind vs Johnny Cash - Hurt
I will confess that I hadn't heard much of Glen Campbell before this tourney and am very impressed with his picking skills. Unfortunately, "Gentle On My Mind" is going up against my second favorite cover song of all time in this match-up. "Hurt" moves on.

Triumph - Fight the Good Fight vs Steve Miller Band - Quicksilver Girl
Triumph really fought the good fight in this bout. Just more juice than "Quicksilver Girl". "Fight the Good Fight" advances.

ZZ Top - Fool for Your Stockings (noharleyyet) vs AC/DC - Thunderstruck
Blues vs rock. In this particular pairing, rock beats scissors and blues. "Thunderstruck" grabs the final spot in the sweet 16.

1) Warren Haynes - Hattiesburg Hustle (Ridgerunner6901)

3) Triumph - Fight the Good Fight (6mm Remington)

Moose Bracket the top 4 seedings are still in it.

Strongly believe Mr. Johnny Cash should put a hurting on the competition and pull off the upsets.

Sweet 16!!!

Deer Bracket

Linkin Park - Leave Out All the Rest vs Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing
Two really good songs but "Leave Out All the Rest" advances again.

Whiskey Myers - Die Rockin' vs Tom Petty - You Don't Know How it Feels
I was really hoping that a song or two that I hadn't heard before would make the field and really surprise me. That is exactly what "Die Rockin" has done. I really like the song but Tom Petty is a songwriter through and through. "You Don't Know How it Feels" moves on.

Elk Bracket

REO Speedwagon - Roll With the Changes vs Journey - Separate Ways
Neither of these songs are my favorite from these bands but both are great. "Roll With the Changes" rolls on through.

Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me vs Lynyrd Skynyrd - The Ballad of Curtis Loew
Two songs that I catch myself singing every so often. "The Ballad of Curtis Loew" wins.

Sheep bracket

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven vs Steve Miller Band - Jet Airliner
Both of these songs are in my personal top ten. "Stairway to Heaven" falls slightly behind as "Jet Airliner" advances.

Foo Fighters - Everlong vs Bob Seger - Night Moves
In my mind, the flaw with "Everlong", is the vocals are ok but not great. Could Bob Seger ever sing anything that didn't sound great? "Night Moves" wins this one.

Moose Bracket

Warren Haynes - Hattiesburg Hustle vs Johnny Cash - Hurt
Easiest call of this round. Nothing against Warren Haynes but this is Johnny Cash. "Hurt" wins in convincing fashion.

Triumph - Fight the Good Fight vs AC/DC - Thunderstruck
A good battle but "Thunderstruck" prevails.

Deer Bracket
9) Linkin Park - Leave Out All the Rest (jabber)
2) Tom Petty - You Don't Know How it Feels (Southern Elk)

Elk Bracket
9) REO Speedwagon - Roll With the Changes (Cheese Curd)
10) Lynyrd Skynyrd - The Ballad of Curtis Loew (jvanhoy)

Sheep bracket
2) Bob Seger - Night Moves (Lone Elk)

Moose Bracket

Back