Music Madness!

Deer Bracket

"I Believe In a Thing Called Love", "War Pigs", and "You Don't Know How It Feels" advance from the bye

U2 - With or Without You vs Linkin Park - Leave Out All the Rest
Very first match-up and it is a very tough one. Both are very good songs but I think "Leave Out All the Rest" caught its groove much sooner than "With or Without You" that started a little slow. "Leave Out All the Rest" advances.

AC/DC - Jailbreak vs Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man vocal track
"Jailbreak" undoubtedly sounds like AC/DC but the lead vocal track to "Simple Man" is missing something; the music. I think the full accompaniment version of "Simple Man" would win this match-up easily and may have won the whole thing but in this case, "Jailbreak" moves on.

Steppenwolf - The Pusher vs Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing
"The Pusher" just didn't do much for me. "Sultans of Swing" runs away with this one on guitar along.

Whiskey Myers - Die Rockin' vs Lucero - I Can Get Us Out of Here
I'll admit I hadn't heard either of these songs before but both are tremendous. When the lead singer of Whiskey Myers started, I was hooked. "Die Rockin" advances to the next round.

R.E.M. - Its the End of the World vs Billy Joel - Piano Man
Another tough one. "Piano Man" is a true sing-a-long but "Its the End of the World" has maybe the most anticipated line in music; Lenard Bernstein. "Piano Man" moves on in a close one.

1) The Darkness - I Believe in a Thing Called Love (John Cushman)
9) Linkin Park - Leave Out All the Rest (jabber)

5) AC/DC - Jailbreak (mtmuley)
13) Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing (OregonChris)

3) Black Sabbath - War Pigs (jvanhoy)
6) Whiskey Myers - Die Rockin' (codycoop95)

10) Billy Joel - Piano Man (Sytes)
2) Tom Petty - You Don't Know How it Feels (Southern Elk)

Elk Bracket

"Sad But True", "Don't You Forget About Me", and "Decoration Day" advance from the bye

Wilco - Jesus, Ect vs REO Speedwagon - Roll With the Changes
"Jesus, Ect" almost put me to sleep but luckily "Roll With the Changes" woke me back up in a big way. "Roll With the Changes" easily moves on to the next round.

Led Zeppelin - Since I've Been Loving You vs Journey - Separate Ways
This is a battle between two bands I like but not these songs in particular. The intro of "Separate Ways" made the difference as it advances.

Living Colour - Cult of Personality vs Crosby, Stills, and Nash - Southern Cross
This is a very difficult choice; two completely different songs that I don't like. I would not have thought a Crosby, Stills, and Nash song would win but "Southern Cross" takes this match-up.

Outlaws - There Goes Another Love Song vs Disturbed - Down With the Sickness
I feel like if these songs were basketball teams, "There Goes Another Love Song" would be the steady, fundamentally sound team and "Down With the Sickness" would be heaving threes all game. When its good its good but weird sounds that aren't words are like fade-away threes. In this clash of styles, steady beats shiny. "There Goes Another Love Song" wins in upset fashion.

Buffalo Springfield - For What Its Worth vs Lynyrd Skynyrd - The Ballad of Curtis Loew
I can't imagine a tougher first round match-up. Both of these songs could have made a deep run in the tourney but fate paired them together. This game certainly went into overtime but a three pointer at the buzzer gives "The Ballad of Curtis Loew" the narrowest of victories.

1) Metallica - Sad But True (mtmiller)
9) REO Speedwagon - Roll With the Changes (Cheese Curd)

12) Journey - Separate Ways (Mtnhuntr)
13) Crosby, Stills and Nash - Southern Cross (OregonChris)

3) Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me (Sytes)
6) Outlaws - There Goes Another Love Song (BigHornRam)

10) Lynyrd Skynyrd - The Ballad of Curtis Loew (jvanhoy)
2) Drive By Truckers - Decoration Day (beagle001)

Elk Bracket

Buffalo Springfield - For What Its Worth vs Lynyrd Skynyrd - The Ballad of Curtis Loew
I can't imagine a tougher first round match-up. Both of these songs could have made a deep run in the tourney but fate paired them together. This game certainly went into overtime but a three pointer at the buzzer gives "The Ballad of Curtis Loew" the narrowest of victories.

Neil Young could never be counted on to cover the deep three! Congratulations to Lynyrd on the hard fought battle.

Sheep bracket

"Soul Food", "Pneuma", and "Night Moves all advance due to the bye

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven vs Green Day - Basket Case
Zeppelin was a double digit favorite heading into this one but "Basket Case" keeps it close. "Stairway to Heaven is a force to be reckoned with and moves on.

Johnny Cash - Big River vs Scorpions & Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra - Rock You Like a Hurricane
Another big favorite in Johnny Cash but not my favorite song of his. A wise decision to enter the "Rock You Like a Hurricane" version with an orchestra behind but I could use even less Scorpions and more Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. In an upset victory, "Rock You Like a Hurricane" advances to the next round.

AC/DC - For Those About to Rock vs Steve Miller Band - Jet Airliner
A true battle of the titans. This could easily be an elite eight match-up but here we are in the first round. An even contest but "For Those About to Rock" is just a touch too slow for me whereas "Jet Airliner" keeps it upbeat. In a match-up this close, that's the difference as "Jet Airliner" gets the victory.

U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name vs Foo Fighters - Everlong
I haven't heard "Where the Streets Have No Name" in a while and I remember liking the song but tonight it just didn't strike me as all its cracked up to be. "Everlong" advances easily.

Cross Canadian Ragweed - Boys From Oklahoma vs Journey - Don't Stop Believing
This one was over at halftime. "Boys From Oklahoma" is my least favorite song in the tourney so far. "Don't Stop Believing" wins in a blowout.

1) Goodie Mob - Soul Food (el unit)
8) Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (Dave N)

12) Scorpions Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra - Rock You Like a Hurricane (Big Slick)
13) Steve Miller Band - Jet Airliner (Southern Elk)

3) Tool - Pneuma (Twisted Sage)
11) Foo Fighters - Everlong (rtraverdavis)

10) Journey - Don't Stop Believin' (fishing4sanity)
2) Bob Segar - Night Moves (Lone Elk)

Moose Bracket

"Hattiesburg Hustle", "Fight the Good Fight", and "Thunderstruck" advance because of the bye

Three Dog Night - Never Been to Spain vs Journey - Stone in Love
Both songs really sound great but I dig the lyrics to "Never Been to Spain" better than "Stone in Love". "Never Been to Spain" advances.

Glen Campbell - Gentle On My Mind vs Eagles - Heartache Tonight
Eagles beat Glen Campbell every time, right? NOT SO FAST, the pickin' guitar and banjo combo of "Gentle On My Mind" make this a much tougher match-up. I can't fault "Heartache Tonight" but "Gentle On My Mind" moves on to the next round.

Johnny Cash - Hurt vs Ted Nugent - Stranglehold
Uncle Ted comes out strong with one of the most recognizable guitar riffs ever but honestly "Stranglehold" has always felt disjointed to me, like three separate songs crammed together. Then Johnny Cash delivers one of the most emotional songs of all time. "Hurt" just oozes a lifetime of memories good and bad. "Hurt" wins.

Steve Miller Band - Quicksilver Girl vs Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Oh boy, one band I love vs one I hate. The Steve Miller Band is known for great guitars, tremendous rhythm, and simple but powerful lyrics. "Quicksilver Girl" didn't have any of these which was greatly disappointing. However, I loathe Nirvana so much that "Quicksilver Girl" gets the victory.

U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday vs ZZ Top - Fool For Your Stockings
"Fool For Your Stockings" has a great blues feel to it and I like the blues...sometimes. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" is a fine song and capable of winning if I wasn't in the mood for the blues. Today, the blues hits me just fine and "Fool For Your Stockings" advances.

1) Warren Haynes - Hattiesburg Hustle (Ridgerunner6901)
8) Three Dog Night - Never Been to Spain (Hilljackoutlaw)

5) Glen Campbell - Gentle On My Mind (kansasdad)
4) Johnny Cash - Hurt (jabber)

3) Triumph - Fight the Good Fight (6mm Remington)
6) Steve Miller Band - Quicksilver Girl (Brittany Chukarman)

10) ZZ Top - Fool for Your Stockings (noharleyyet)
2) AC/DC - Thunderstruck (Dave N)

Both of my choices move on!
e522671

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back