Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

multi barrels

Europe

changed his mind at the last minute and therefore I am back with my question (s)

putting the dollar part of the equation aside for the moment

would you buy three different rifles or a Blaser with three different barrels --and why ?

If you bought a Blaser for hunting North America 95 % of the time and Africa 5% of the time ( or less ) which Blaser combination would you purchase

6.5 x55, 30-06, 9.3 x 62

or

257 Wea, 300 Wea, 375 H & H or a 458 lott instead of the 375 or possibly all four.

Although I like and have Blaser products, I am old fashioned and believe if anything can go wrong, it will, and to plan accordingly. On trips "far" away from home I prefer two rifles, so if something happens to one the other can be pressed into service. However, ( at least in Africa, and Australia ) one can also use a loaner rifle.

your thoughts please. thank you

Last edited:
forgot

also considering the

7mm, 338 win, 458 lott

or

243, 270, 9.3 x 62 with another rifle- (like 458 )-if--dangerous game was ever on the agenda, as the 9.3 x 62 would handle the big bears in N.A.

Last edited:
Would have loved to live part of your life to even come up with that question. Out of my experience. I would lean to your other statement that if something will can go wrong, it will.

I would take the 2 rifles or maybe 3 or 4.

I think I own four different change barrel rifles, though cheaper than the blaser, and I never switch the barrels. I'm too paranoid about losing the zero and I don't have time to double check after switching.

So my advise would be for different rifles. The clear advantage is to have rifles that match the hunting conditions with barrel length, optics, etc.

Also, of those cartridge combos I'd pick the first set.

I have 3 change barrel rifles. They are called Savage... :D:
I buy used, so theoretically i could buy5 rifles, at $300 each, and using E.R. Shaw i could get at least 5 barrels.
Plus i can make said barrels any chambering i wish.

in America the 243, 270 and 9.3 x 62 would be an enjoyable group to hunt with

However, I would prefer to have three different rifles in those calibers

in America the 243, 270 and 9.3 x 62 would be an enjoyable group to hunt with

However, I would prefer to have three different rifles in those calibers

When I was young I was a gnats ass from buying a Sako M75 in 9.3x62. I ended up rebarreling a Model 70 to a .338-06 instead. Loved the Model 70, but I always regretted not getting the 9.3.

A Blazer is not in my price range, nor am I convinced that a custom action and barrel in a McMillan or Manners stock is in any way inferior. A lot of benchresters at the club I shoot at use switch barrels on their competition guns for a number of reasons. As a result I’ve built two switch barrel rigs. While they have their purpose for competitive shooters, for hunting, I think you’re more likely to end up with a gun you like and barrel in the closet waiting on an action. This is especially true if you’re not using a scope with target knobs so that it’s very easy to dial back and forth correctly, and even then, you need to put a few rounds on paper to verify things. You don’t just swap the barrel, dial, and fire a shot that counts. For hunting purpose I would strongly recommend two guns rather than two barrels.

I had a TC Pro Hunter with a couple different barrels and I could never even like the gun. I am kind of a one rifle man but own several other rifle and I like the fact that each have their own soul. I like how they behave differently and how different they feel.

Not a rifle but I have several barrels for my Mossberg 500 shotgun that makes it very versatile. 28" ribbed barrel with interchangeable chokes for field use, 20" cylinder for home defense, rifled barrel with mounted scope for slugs, and a .50 caliber muzzleloader barrel.
From the smallest to the largest game, I'm covered.

Back