Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Interior Grizzly - Rifle Choice

Guy

A couple of years ago I was heading north for my dream hunt, interior grizzly, Brooks Range, Alaska.

This mule deer hunter is also a rifle looney and I'd acquired not one, but two 375 H&H rifles in the past ten years. A nice Ruger Number One which I used on several black bear, and a wonderful custom built Winchester Model 70. I didn't need either one, but acquired them with thoughts of someday taking one of them to Alaska for grizzly then to Africa for buffalo. Meanwhile I learned to handload them and shot them pretty regularly to 300 yards. That came in handy when I made a one-shot kill on a black bear at 306 yards with the Ruger.

Normally though, I hunt with a 30-06 or a 25-06, both Remington 700 CDL's.

On the phone with my outfitter/guide before the Alaska hunt, I asked his advice about rifles & cartridges & bullets. Turns out he's a bit of a rifle looney himself. He said that either the 375 or the 30-06 would be suitable, but to please not bring the single-shot Ruger Number One on the grizzly hunt. He said that sometimes things happen fast, and a repeating rifle was a better idea. He asked me two questions to help me decide between the Winchester Model 70 375 H&H, or the Remington 700 30-06 rifle.

1. "This is open country. You may need to take a 300 yard shot. Which rifle do you shoot better at 300 yards?

Well, I shoot both the 375 and the 30-06 pretty well at 300 yards, but the edge goes to the 30-06 there.

2. "This is tough country and hiking is difficult. Which rifle is lighter?

Well, that would be the 30-06 by a fair margin. I don't remember the weight difference, but it's notable while handling them.

So... Somewhat to my surprise, I found myself heading north with my 30-06 Rem 700 and 200 grain Nosler Partition handloads. I could only take one rifle, due to space restrictions inside the small plane taking us to the Brooks Range.

Turned out that all my shooting at the grizzly was within 40 yards, and in a hurry. The 30-06 did well, the guide also shot the bear once with his 338 Win mag and a Barnes bullet, and then he passed me his rifle to finish the bear at about 15 yards after it was down. Mine was empty. A lot of shooting in a hurry.

Would the 375 have terminated the bear faster? Maybe. So - ya make the choice and live with it. I am satisfied with the performance of the 30-06, but... Not using the 375 took away one of the two animals I intended to use it on... Will I ever make it to Africa for cape buffalo? I don't know. Hope so! And I'll hang onto it until that decision is made.

Interesting stuff that comes into decision making. To me the 375 was the natural choice, but I had to admit that I had more field time with the 30-06, that it had dropped more animals for me, and that I was just better with it.

yxTN7MYh.jpg

Regards, Guy

Given what you said, I would have made the same decision. That is a beautiful bear. An interior/mountain grizz is the next hunt up on my dream hunt list. Coastal Brown doesn't really trip my trigger but an interior grizz would be the ultimate. Who did you hunt with if you don't mind me asking?

Reactions: Guy
I remember this hunt. Congratulations again Guy. What did you end up doing with him when you got home--floor, wall or ?

Cool field report. I've always heard conflicting reports on the usefulness of a .30-06 for grizz. The 200 grain partition sounds like good medicine for sure. If you had to do it again would you stick with the same bullet or opt for something lighter and faster? Was penetration adequate with the partition? Sweet bear!

If I were to hunt interior grizzlies, I would use my 7-08 and never even give it a second thought. Probably use 140 accubonds as well.

Nice bear! Sounds like you needed to build a lightweight 375. :D

I shot my last griz with a 308. Finishing shots were at quite close range after initial shot and he headed for the brush.

The .375 might not have stopped it any faster - don’t lose sleep over that. 30-06 was a good choice. I had a black bear eat three 3” 12 gauge slugs inside 10 yards and keep going for a bit. I know a 12 gauge isn’t a .375 but a black bear isn’t a griz either. Awesome hunt. Awesome bear! Congrats

Thank you for sharing your adventure. It's been said over & over again, the 30-06 is a versatile cartridge, and with today's bullets and powders that are available today, I don't think the big bore calibers are as much a necessity today as they once were years ago. That said, congrats on a beautiful bear!

Nice bear it sounds like you made the right choice of rifle as well.

Given what you said, I would have made the same decision. That is a beautiful bear. An interior/mountain grizz is the next hunt up on my dream hunt list. Coastal Brown doesn't really trip my trigger but an interior grizz would be the ultimate. Who did you hunt with if you don't mind me asking?

Lyle Becker with Alaska Skookum Guides was the outfitter and also a guide. http://www.alaskaskookumguides.com/

Joey Klutsch worked this hunt as a guide, and was with me when we got the bear. Joey also runs his own guide service: http://www.joeyklutsch.com/

It was, in every way, an outstanding hunt and I can't say enough good things about those two guys. They worked hard to make my hunt happen. Interior grizzly is an "iffy" proposition. The other hunter in camp was on his third grizzly hunt, and finally scored on a beautiful bear. Mine came on the 7th day of a nine-day hunt, after a mile long stalk. Both Lyle and Joey are terrific guides.

nrpate05 asked if I was satisfied with the performance of the 200 grain Nosler bullet. Yes, very much so. My first hit broke the right shoulder/arm of the bear and penetrated into the chest cavity. Bear dropped and rolled, but was up in a flash. Then more shooting happened in a hurry. The handload was only doing 2600 fps, but was very accurate and actually quite mild in recoil. I have wondered if I'd have been better off with a lighter, faster mono-metal bullet like the 168 grain Nosler E-Tip or the Barnes TSX. Both are known to penetrate well.

Europe - I had the hide tanned and it's across the footboard of the bed here at home. The hide is wonderful in both color and how rich and full it is. The bear squared a bit over 8' - which I'm told is a pretty good sized interior grizzly. The skull is about an inch short of making "the book" but that doesn't bother me in the least.

Transportation to and from our Brooks Range camp:
bQFkZcTh.jpg

Camp was four individual backpacking type tents, and one larger cooking/eating tent. Good grub throughout the hunt. We kept our magazines loaded, chambers empty, and our rifles near at hand:
uei0Teph.jpg

40rJdsAh.jpg

Waded this stream almost daily, including while stalking the grizzly:
mDi7sdRh.jpg

Wolf:
M6LXdS4h.jpg

Temps ranged from the 20's up into the 40's or maybe even low 50's. It rained or tried to snow pretty much every day. Mosquitos were a problem whenever it would warm up and the wind let up. Days were long, this was in late May and early June. The sun never set during the hunt. We did a lot of glassing with binos and spotting scopes. Caribou were seen almost every day. An arctic fox came through camp. Saw four wolves, each hunting alone. I shot one. Only saw three bears. One never gave us a chance at a stalk, we got the other two.

I'm happy to answer questions about the hunt. It really was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me. The story was published in Successful Hunter magazine summer of 2018.

Regards, Guy

What a wonderful hunt Guy. Even the drive up and back was interesting. Hope you are able to go again. Next time the coastal Grizzlies with the 375 H & H

That’s a great bear!

I’m hoping to put a 7mm 175 eldx in a brooks range griz here in a week or two😁

Guy, I was so glad you was able to take that trip. Good color on him also. Some of the animals you take each year in your back yard ( elk, deer, black bear ) are all pretty impressive. Is your dad able to go with you and your son , his grandson, on hunts or fishing trips together. Hope so

A griz at 40 yards must be a heart pounding experience!

It was. We spotted the bear from over a mile away. He was headed towards us. Wind was in our favor. We took out after him on our stalk, moving fast at first, waded an icy stream. Got into the willows. I was afraid that we were going to pass the bear in those gray willows.

Then he came out from behind a tree (there weren't very many trees) at about 50 yards. Not the best shooting I've done but my second and fourth shots both dropped him. I started to reload my empty 30-06, and the guide passed me his 338 for a finishing shot at about 15 yards. The bear was down but not dead until that last shot from the 338 Win Mag, a Barnes TSX bullet.

Quite a way to cap the 7th day of a 9 day hunt. Days of glassing, moving a bit but not a lot, then an intense mile-long stalk, followed by some rapid fire bolt action work! Goodness.

I feel so blessed to have even had the opportunity to hunt such a bear, in such a place.

Regards, Guy

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back