Combination, Cape, Double, Dreilling, Vierlings

Kansas Dad, 375 H & H, Brent, Chocdogs, Brittany, Bluegrassbilly----those combo's were fun. I think my family's favorite is the 22Hornet/20 gauge

Bluegrassbilly, thank you for post. If it was a dedicated bird hunt, I carried a shotgun and the gun bearer would carry my rifle. If it was a dedicated PG or DG hunt he would carry a second rifle ( back up rifle and usually one with more range ) as I did not plan on shooting any birds. My husband liked the Dreilling, which he would use the rifle for DG ( or PG ), but also have a third barrel ( the shotgun barrel ) with a slug in it if hunting wounded game in the scrubs. Plus when the hunt was over and he saw a bird he wanted he could shoot it and as also mentioned before the shotgun was a good snake eliminator ( and some snakes are not bad for dinner )

I will do my best to answer your other questions, but again I am no authority and an old woman so my opinion and a nickel will buy you absolutely nothing !

The shoulder carry. First off I didn't do it. For me, it was not as comfortable as a sling, a sling was less tiring as the day worn on, I could use both hands when using my bino's, I used it for offhand shots, easier when crawling--did the sling sometimes get hung up in the think thorny bushes, yes, but I found it easier to maneuver through them having both hands free, and last but not least, it just never struck me as the safest way to carry a rifle--but what do I know. Many and I mean many, use the shoulder carry. One story I was told is that it was carried that way so that the hunter who followed behind could grab the wrist of the rife for a quick and easy exchange, others claim it is more comfortable, still others claim slings are a disaster in the brush --------personally I always remember what was said in the movie "Fiddler on the Roof" when ask why something was done and no one really had a good answer-----"Tradition"

I was also asked about the dangerous 7 and at this writing it is actually the dangerous 6, as one has to have very deep pockets and willing to wait and jump through a lot of hoops to hunt the Black Rhino. The Black Rhino was the dangerous one. The White Rhino is larger, but they are hunted differently and usually from a distance so the adrenaline type hunt does not exist, as it did hunting the Black Rhino. Anyway, besides the Rhino, lion, Leopard, elephant and buffalo the crocodile and hippo can be dangerous as well. Actually the hippo on land can be very aggressive and is more of an adrenaline hunt than the while rhino.

I was ask why the double isn't popular in North America and my first thought is the cost of the rifle and the lack of large, thick skinned dangerous game. I believe the big boomers could be used and from I understand are used for coastal grizzlies in Alaska, Canada and Russia. They could be used I suppose in hunting the white bear, as well as Wood Bison and Muskox. But it certainly doesn't require an elephant gun to dispatch these animals. In fact we found that finding the Wood Bison and Muskox were the tough part of the hunt. they were not that hard to bring down. But deer can be hunted with a double as they come in all calibers Hopfully others can chime in here with a better response, but if I had to guess it is the cost is why most shy away from them---but not everybody--Ben Lamp has some very nice ones and it is my understanding that he does hunt with them.

I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread, it does not surprise me that so many have used the combinations and I am glad I started this thread ----if for no other reason than to see the beautiful rifles owned by Ben, thank you Ben (-: but I must admit that picture Kansasdad posted sure brought back memories--thanks for that

Last edited:
Europe,
I was about to ask how you carried your guns while hunting. Now I know.

I use lace-on slings a lot with my old rifles. They can be brought to bear quickly with 270 degree rotation usually, but I keep them in my hand if the game is close. You are right, about the benefit of two free hands when trying to slip through the catclaw acacia and other thorn scrub. Nice when scrambling up and down hills as well.

I think the biggest block against double rifles in American is just tradition. There were few double muzzleloaders build here. Some of those (often build along the East Coast of Iowa) were odd things like swivel barrel over and under percussion guns.

However, my shooting partner at Nationals every year has shot mountain lion on the run and I think a few elk or pronghorn with a .450 BPE Bland double rifle. Quite nice!

I had a Joseph Lang 18 bore percussion double rifle for a while that I bought for moose hunting but never did. I ended up shooting a whitetail with each barrel before I finally sold it. As a deer rifle, it is just plain overkill - not the bore diameter so much but having two loaded bores was sort of a PITA. It was a wonderful gun however. Probably the finest rifle I have ever owned.

If I went hunting cape buffalo today, I don't know what rifle I would use. Probably nothing I currently own. Maybe a .45-70 Marlin though it would not be legal in most places I guess. All my big guns are single shots and there are times for repeaters and cape buffalo would be one of those them.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back