Caribou Gear

Mule Deer Wyoming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a link for the map of Johnson County with the county roads showing in black. The only public road offering any public land access on the east side of 26 is the Lower Powder River Road along the east boundary. Further west there are some spots that the TW Road and the Tipperary Road hit public land and that 's about it. I see from your few other posts that you asked about this in 2013 and then said you were heading out to hunt 26. What happened out there in 2013?

http://www.johnsoncountywyoming.org/docs/GIS/Johnson_County.pdf

Last edited:
Are the red and black roads public ?

The ones in black are county publicly maintained roads. The one in red going east/west is I-90 and you can't legally park along an interstate highway to go across the fences to access the public land along them anywhere. The other red line over toward Buffalo and going northeast is US-16, a state maintained highway. It you take your pointer down to the lower right area on the map you will see a - and a + sign pop up. Using the + sign you can keep clicking on it to zoom in so you can read what I just mentioned.

That's good info about not being able to access from the interstate. Crosses a few areas off of my research. What about state highways?

That's good info about not being able to access from the interstate. Crosses a few areas off of my research. What about state highways?

You can legally park along any county road, state highway, or BLM road as long as you can get far enough off the roadway so as not to hinder traffic or create a possible accident. Generally a public road has at a minimum 33' of property from the center line to both sides, so there is really no problem being able to get far enough off to properly park and not create a problem. Interstate highways are a whole different ballgame because each state has to answer to the Feds to keep the money flowing in and that is a Federal rule for safety and why you see signs along them saying parking for emergencies only.

Last edited:
Topgun, I've seen plenty of trucks parked along I-90 in locations which imply they're accessing public ground that butts up to the interstate. Last year when we headed home we counted probably at least 10 different trucks. Most seemed to be local Wyoming residents. So are they just testing their luck? I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just curious.

We've never parked along the interstate because we figured it couldn't be exactly legal but I've never confirmed it.

Call the highway patrol for the area in question. The department in charge of the stretch of interstate that goes through my hunting spot is 100% fine with it.

Topgun, I've seen plenty of trucks parked along I-90 in locations which imply they're accessing public ground that butts up to the interstate. Last year when we headed home we counted probably at least 10 different trucks. Most seemed to be local Wyoming residents. So are they just testing their luck? I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just curious.

We've never parked along the interstate because we figured it couldn't be exactly legal but I've never confirmed it.

It's certainly illegal and if anyone tells you different, regardless of who it is, ask them to put it in writing. They won't and are taking a big chance that nothing will happen and if it did I guarantee they will not admit they told anyone they could violate a law that is in effect on every interstate highway in the country. Just because people are doing it doesn't mean it's legal just like people driving way over the speed limit and not getting caught. Interstate highways are normally patrolled by the State Highway Patrol, State Police, or may have another name depending on what state it is. Just call the State Office and see what they say on the phone and if they say go ahead ask if they will send you that okay in writing and see what they say! I just did a quick Google search and immediately came up with this and didn't go any further:

Parking on Interstate and Highway Shoulders Prohibited
Release Date: 12/06/2011

The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) is reminding hunters that parking on shoulders and grassy areas along interstates and highways are illegal and strictly prohibited.
The Louisiana State Police are aware of an increasing number of vehicles that are being parked on roadway shoulders and grassy areas, particularly on Interstate 10 between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, during hunting season.
The shoulders of the road are designed for emergency stopping only. The parked vehicles pose a threat to motorists when they re-enter or exit the road and can be a hazard to motorists stopping for emergencies.
Louisiana State Police is committed to ensuring safety on highways and interstates. Owners of vehicles parked in prohibited areas may face traffic citation fines and have their vehicles towed at their expense.
If any hazardous situation is observed, the public is urged to call Louisiana State Police at *LSP (*577) from a cell phone.
For more information, contact LDWF Spokesman Adam Einck at 225-765-2465 or [email protected]; or the Louisiana State Police Public Affairs Unit at 225-754-8524.

Last edited:
So if you see any LDWF wardens or Louisiana State Police vehicles while hunting in Wyoming ... be extra careful where you park.

There always has to be one smart azz in the crowd! If anyone listens to you and parks on an Interstate Highway ANYWHERE, don't say you weren't advised of the consequences!

There always has to be one smart azz in the crowd! If anyone listens to you and parks on an Interstate Highway ANYWHERE, don't say you weren't advised of the consequences!

Lighten up Francis. While you may not approve of it, I've seen it done countless times in Montana and not a single MHP Trooper cared. They may not have consulted Louisiana FW folks though.

Lighten up Francis. While you may not approve of it, I've seen it done countless times in Montana and not a single MHP Trooper cared. They may not have consulted Louisiana FW folks though.

Me not approve of it, LOL! I won't lighten up when people tell other people to violate a law that is in effect in every state in the union for interstate highways and anyone that tells others to violate the law even though they may not be caught should be ashamed of themselves! Telling people to violate that law or any other as far as that goes shows a complete lack of integrity on the part of that individual! Congrats, as you and SS qualify! If an accident occurs because of that violation and they are found to not have enforced it like the law requires you'll see whether your MHP Trooper cares or not! Why is it that simple stuff like this that is on the books gets argued by some?

Last edited:
Me not approve of it, LOL! I won't lighten up when people tell other people to violate a law that is in effect in every state in the union for interstate highways and anyone that tells others to violate the law even though they may not be caught should be ashamed of themselves! Telling people to violate that law or any other as far as that goes shows a complete lack of integrity on the part of that individual! Congrats, as you and SS qualify! If an accident occurs because of that violation and they are found to not have enforced it like the law requires you'll see whether your MHP Trooper cares or not!

It shows my lack of integrity by calling the Highway Patrol and getting permission to park in a spot, and then suggesting someone else try the same avenue? You're a real peach Topgun, saving the world one senile internet post at a time.

It shows my lack of integrity by calling the Highway Patrol and getting permission to park in a spot, and then suggesting someone else try the same avenue? You're a real peach Topgun, saving the world one senile internet post at a time.

Be careful. You don't want to make him angry and start getting nastygrams by PM. He is a real peach.

Me not approve of it, LOL! I won't lighten up when people tell other people to violate a law that is in effect in every state in the union for interstate highways and anyone that tells others to violate the law even though they may not be caught should be ashamed of themselves! Telling people to violate that law or any other as far as that goes shows a complete lack of integrity on the part of that individual! Congrats, as you and SS qualify! If an accident occurs because of that violation and they are found to not have enforced it like the law requires you'll see whether your MHP Trooper cares or not! Why is it that simple stuff like this that is on the books gets argued by some?

I'll go sit in the corner with Randy and revel in my shame.

Kind of early in the AM to be hitting the vodka isn't it?

Humor: a comic, absurd, or incongruous quality causing amusement.

Obviously my attempt failed, so I apologize. 'Guess us backwoods Montana outlaws deserve a scolding for being so flippant about the critically serious aspects of legalities along the interstate highway routes
'My bad.

I used to elk hunt with an MHP Captain. He was fully aware of places on I-15 where people parked to hunt elk. He would have kicked someone's ass for ticketing those folks. Obviously if you cause a wreck that's a different situation. Kind of like going 80 on the interstate.

I guess this Captain should have gone to the Topgun School of Integrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back