Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Mule Deer Wyoming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joke all you want, but it is the law and if anyone violates it it's not my problem. All I'm doing is telling people who asked what the law is. You guys can have all the fun you want, but none of those jurisdictions will put something in writing telling you that you can do what Randy is saying. Like I said, ask them to put it in writing and see what they say! Why am I not surprised that the few of you that are jumping in are who you are as it's always the same ones and yes SS, when we're discussing a serious topic like this you failed miserably. Now you guys go ahead and fill a page or two with your BS, but I know I'm right!

ShootsStraight, another Hunttalker, aka SS seems to always get credit for stupid stuff I might express.
'Good thing that Shoots (SS) is a big man with broad shoulders.

I know it's confusing, but try to get the acronyms and abbreviations correct. SS, BS, JLS, SA (that would be me).

Again, my bad and I will try to refrain from expressing humor in response to your messages. But, really, how would I have known?

Joke all you want, but it is the law and if anyone violates it it's not my problem. All I'm doing is telling people who asked what the law is. You guys can have all the fun you want, but none of those jurisdictions will put something in writing telling you that you can do what Randy is saying. Like I said, ask them to put it in writing and see what they say! Why am I not surprised that the few of you that are jumping in are who you are as it's always the same ones and yes SS, when we're discussing a serious topic like this you failed miserably. Now you guys go ahead and fill a page or two with your BS, but I know I'm right!

No one said it was your problem you pompous, righteous fool.

This topic is so serious that anyone who jokes about it shall be subject to 20 lashes with an Ugly Stik rod by Cush.

ShootsStraight, another Hunttalker, aka SS seems to always get credit for stupid stuff I might express.
'Good thing that Shoots (SS) is a big man with broad shoulders.

I know it's confusing, but try to get the acronyms and abbreviations correct. SS, BS, JLS, SA (that would be me).

Again, my bad and I will try to refrain from expressing humor in response to your messages. But, really, how would I have known?

Sorry I typed SS when I meant SA, and I was not referencing you in the earlier part of my statement, but rather Oak and his buddy JLS!

Me not approve of it, LOL! I won't lighten up when people tell other people to violate a law that is in effect in every state in the union for interstate highways and anyone that tells others to violate the law even though they may not be caught should be ashamed of themselves! Telling people to violate that law or any other as far as that goes shows a complete lack of integrity on the part of that individual! Congrats, as you and SS qualify! If an accident occurs because of that violation and they are found to not have enforced it like the law requires you'll see whether your MHP Trooper cares or not! Why is it that simple stuff like this that is on the books gets argued by some?

I feel ashamed of myself for parking along I-80 and shooting this buck on BLM...hopefully I can fall asleep tonight. Topgun, do you have the number for crimestoppers?

I've also parked along I-25, and I-90 as well to hunt, never had a problem and people do it all the time.

IMAG0196.jpg

Oh, the horror! I came around the corner one day on a highway while moving camp to a different hunting area. I saw about 20 elk literally standing in the highway. I pulled over, looked at my GPS and realized I was on FS land. I pulled off the edge of the highway, grabbed my rifle and angled toward them through the timber. I caught them and shot this raghorn as he filed by.

He died about 250 yards from the blacktop...I feel like such a convict.

BuzzElk%2000009.JPG

My Dad is also "guilty" as well...although in fairness I was driving when we found this buck. I took this picture from the edge of the highway:

DSCN7848.JPG

I had the "nerve" to pull over just for a look and then I went full tilt and pulled over near a gate that entered BLM. I parked on the highway side of the fence, again "breaking the law". We opened the gate, stalked this buck and Dad made good on the shot.

I feel absolutely horrible for parking along the highway.

DSCN7867.JPG

Topgun, you need to give it a rest, the HP realizes what it going on when they see people pulled off the edge of the highways in Montana and Wyoming during hunting season.

Last edited:
I'm done with this, as you and the rest can violate the law all you want. That is not the way I was brought up and we again didn't need to see all your "grip and grin" photos trying to prove yourself, LOL!

You were done before you ever started.

There are people that hunt off Hwy200 from McNamara Landing to Ninemile Prairie all the time, being doing it since I was old enough to hunt. They park off the road and go hunting, I never heard of anyone getting a ticket in all the years I hunted there. Trust me, Norm Nash (AKA Colonel Klink), the MHP guy from Seeley Lake would have written the ticket for sure if it was a big deal.

People do it all the time near Saltese, Deborgia, St. Regis, Fish Creek, etc. off I-90. Common practice was to leave one vehicle on the Interstate and then all drive to the top and hunt down to the Interstate.

The West is different than Michigan or Louisiana.

Matter of fact, the only time I've ever had an "issue" with a highway patrolmen, he pulled me over one day in Montana because he wanted to take a look at the bull I had in the back of the truck. Real nice guy and an avid hunter himself...I thought it was funny he pulled me over.

Topgun, I wont even tell you about the time in Wyoming a couple winters ago when I was helping a couple guys from this board on a cow elk hunt...came around the corner and saw a Sheriff in the middle of a country road with his mini-14 poked out the window banging away at a coyote.

Should have called crime-stoppers I suppose....

Yadayadayada! Yep, I keep some stuff off the forums that can't be said other than in a PM. Feel free to post them up if you care to BuzzH! Violate the law all you want in whatever state you want and hope you don't get a ticket or cause an accident! All I'm stating is FACT and that is that it is against the law to park anywhere inside the fences of an interstate highway. It's not my fault if a State Trooper is derelict in his duties to uphold ALL laws and doesn't. I have not said it isn't being done, but have only said it's illegal and none, including you BuzzH, have said that's incorrect, only that you're flaunting the law. I just hope that none of the NRs planning a trip and reading this thread take any of you up on it and if they do and get a ticket I hope it's brought up on this site because those tickets aren't cheap! Now I am done and you can post more pictures to show interstate parking violations where you killed some critters!

Last edited:
Yadayadayada! Violate the law all you want in whatever state you want and hope you don't get a ticket or cause an accident! All I'm stating is FACT and that is that it is against the law to park anywhere inside the fences of an interstate highway. It's not my fault if a State Trooper is derelict in his duties to uphold ALL laws and doesn't. I have not said it isn't being done, but have only said it's illegal and none, including you BuzzH, have said that's incorrect, only that you're flaunting the law. I just hope that none of the NRs planning a trip and reading this thread take any of you up on it and if they do and get a ticket I hope it's brought up on this site because those tickets aren't cheap! Now I am done and you can post more of pictures to show interstate parking violations where you killed some critters!

I thought you were done with this thread?

Were you lying then or now?

JR, when I can have a general tag bull elk found, shot, quartered and in my truck within 250 yards of the blacktop I'm parked on in under an hour, I take the gift and call it a season.

Last edited:
Here is a link to the Montana DOT and Montana MVD Driver's Training Manual. Page 67 of this manual (page 69 of the PDF) explains where it is illegal to park in Montana.

http://opi.mt.gov/pdf/DriverEd/16MT_AdaptedIllustratedDriverManual.pdf

I suspect other states have their own manuals explaining their own laws.

BTW, how did this thread get so far off track to become something about parking along a highway? I have read it and I cannot see the correlation to that point and the original post.

I drove from Casper to Laramie one year during antelope season, I believe HWY 287 and 487.......there were so many people parked along the highway hunting antelope, you would have filled up 5 jails if you hauled them all win. I'm sure this won't sink in, but what the hell.......Topgun, you are showing that you don't know much about the west, and acting like a boob, know when to wave the white flag.

Here is a link to the Montana DOT and Montana MVD Driver's Training Manual. Page 67 of this manual (page 69 of the PDF) explains where it is illegal to park in Montana.

http://opi.mt.gov/pdf/DriverEd/16MT_AdaptedIllustratedDriverManual.pdf

I suspect other states have their own manuals explaining their own laws.

BTW, how did this thread get so far off track to become something about parking along a highway? I have read it and I cannot see the correlation to that point and the original post.

The OP asked for help with access problems he might have on his planned hunt in Wyoming. I generously gave him a link to the county he would be hunting in showing the roads that were legal to drive on and access the public lands. A question was then asked when I made the comment about it being against the law in all states to park along interstate highways. That is a fact and now I'm being jumped on for stating fact just because some of the members here say it's being done all the time in MT and WY. Just because it's being done doesn't make it legal, is all I've tried to get across only to be ridiculed time after time by at least one who has even resorted to calling me a name that was totally uncalled for!

I drove from Casper to Laramie one year during antelope season, I believe HWY 287 and 487.......there were so many people parked along the highway hunting antelope, you would have filled up 5 jails if you hauled them all win. I'm sure this won't sink in, but what the hell.......Topgun, you are showing that you don't know much about the west, and acting like a boob, know when to wave the white flag.

I know a lot about the west having hunted out there, mostly in Wyoming, for over 20 years. Please dispense with the name calling because the roads you mentioned are not being discussed. This discussion is not talking about state highways or county roads like you mentioned that are perfectly legal to pull far enough off to not hinder traffic and go hunting , hiking, or whatever. The Interstate Highway system that is controlled by the Federal Government is a whole different ballgame!

Last edited:
....The Interstate Highway system that is controlled by the Federal Government is a whole different ballgame!

Is there a citation you can provide? Reason I ask is that most often these are state issues. I do not know of a single time when the Feds can provide such authority to regulate such an issue within state boundaries. If such exists, I would be interested in adding it to my library of State's RIghts discussions under the 10th Amendment, discussions normally focused on purview over wildlife, but often results in citation of other 10th Amendment nuances.

Thanks in advance for any citation of such you can provide.

Is there a citation you can provide? Reason I ask is that most often these are state issues. I do not know of a single time when the Feds can provide such authority to regulate such an issue within state boundaries. If such exists, I would be interested in adding it to my library of State's RIghts discussions under the 10th Amendment, discussions normally focused on purview over wildlife, but often results in citation of other 10th Amendment nuances.

Thanks in advance for any citation of such you can provide.

Randy, first of all with due respect to you as owner of this website, why are you allowing people like BuzzH to make a mockery of what is trying to be a logical discussion. I have tried to keep this a simple legal discussion and then have to look at BS pictures like was just posted. I would ask that if this thread continues to please squash this trash because it's not adding a thing and may make a lot of NRs think they can violate the law just because some are doing it and not getting a ticket.

Now to your question/comment. First off, that booklet you posted is strictly talking about roads that are strictly under state jurisdiction. The states are bound by Federal requirements when we're talking about the Interstate Highway system because of Federal funding. To the best of my knowledge about the only thing a state has control over on them is the speed limit and that obviously is determined by various safety factors. What I have mentioned is just like when in the 70s the states were mandated to reduce the speed limits on the Interstate Highway system to 55mph or lose Federal funding. This parking situation would be similar and why most have signs posted on them that stopping is to only be done in emergency situations. I will do as you ask and see if I can find an actual statute speaking to what we're discussing, but that may take some time.

I would hope that this link may be enough to at least stem the tide:

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ug...-non-emergency-parking-on-highway-shoulders-1

Last edited:
Geez! I'm quite shocked at this attack on Topgun. He's simply trying to be helpful. It doesn't seem necessary to belittle him. Topgun is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to hunting in Wyoming and he's helped me out greatly in the past. Why not just say you disagree and leave it at that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back