Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Mule Deer Wyoming

Status
Not open for further replies.
The states are bound by Federal requirements when we're talking about the Interstate Highway system because of Federal funding. To the best of my knowledge about the only thing a state has control over on them is the speed limit and that obviously is determined by various safety factors. What I have mentioned is just like when in the 70s the states were mandated to reduce the speed limits on the Interstate Highway system to 55mph or lose Federal funding. This parking situation would be similar and why most have signs posted on them that stopping is to only be done in emergency situations. I will do as you ask and see if I can find an actual statute speaking to what we're discussing, but that may take some time.

Don't you find it strange that if the Feds had "control and jurisdiction" of interstates that they wouldn't have to black-mail the States by threatening to withhold funds? If they had control, the Feds could post it without the threat.

Also, when was the last time you saw a Fed vehicle responding to a wreck on the interstate? Improper lane changes? No vehicle registrations? Expired plates?

The states enforce all the traffic laws, or in the case of parking along the freeways and highways to hunt, they also choose not to enforce them.

Good luck with your research.

BTW, heres a piece of advice regarding parking along the highway or interstate to hunt...an old trick I learned back in 'Nam If you don't want others to find your secret spots, pop the hood and leave it up before you leave for the days hunt. Everyone will think you're just broke down.

Geez! I'm quite shocked at this attack on Topgun. He's simply trying to be helpful. It doesn't seem necessary to belittle him. Topgun is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to hunting in Wyoming and he's helped me out greatly in the past. Why not just say you disagree and leave it at that?

Yep; I expect this on MM, but not here on Randy's site!

Don't you find it strange that if the Feds had "control and jurisdiction" of interstates that they wouldn't have to black-mail the States by threatening to withhold funds? If they had control, the Feds could post it without the threat.

***You may want to look up what controls the Feds have over the Interstate Highway System before you shoot your mouth off any more.

Also, when was the last time you saw a Fed vehicle responding to a wreck on the interstate? Improper lane changes? No vehicle registrations? Expired plates?

***I think anyone with one firing brain cell, as you would put it, knows that the individual states are the ones providing the manpower on the highways within their boundaries and there aren't Federal Cops going up and down the road. Good try at diversion though!

The states enforce all the traffic laws, or in the case of parking along the freeways and highways to hunt, they also choose not to enforce them.

***Gee we agree, so see your above baloney that wasn't needed! All I've said is if they choose to not enforce something they're supposed to, it's on them when it's proved that they didn't if there is an accident!

Good luck with your research.

BTW, heres a piece of advice regarding parking along the highway or interstate to hunt...an old trick I learned back in 'Nam If you don't want others to find your secret spots, pop the hood and leave it up before you leave for the days hunt. Everyone will think you're just broke down.

***Yep; another great tip to violate and circumvent the law! If you're so sure you and your Dad aren't doing anything wrong, why lie saying your'e doing that when you know you're doing it to make it appear you have a legal emergency reason to stop! Do it hood up or down and you'll probably have a sticker on the vehicle requiring that it be moved in a certain amount of time to abide by the laws that are in effect!

Last edited:
I did a quick google search and found this nugget on the Federal Highway Administrations website. I then went to Wyoming's state statute page and search for any information regarding the restriction of parking on their highway system, and found none. In fact, they don't even differentiate between the types of highways in their state statutes.

Because the States own and operate the Interstates, the States establish the operating requirements, such as speed limits. The States also are responsible for enforcement.

The National Committee on Uniform Traffic Laws and Ordinances (NCUTLO), which includes State motor vehicle administrators and police officers, publishes a compendium of model traffic laws and rules of the road. The goal of NCUTLO is to promote uniformity across the States, but each State is free to adopt its own traffic laws and rules based on its unique circumstances.

In case you thought perhaps the NCUTLO had expressed a specific opinion on this topic that the states would be obligated to follow, see below. (Cliff notes: they did not, they explicitly left it up to the states.)

§ 11—1004 - Additional parking regulations
(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, every vehicle stopped or parked upon a two-way roadway shall be so stopped or parked with the right-hand wheels parallel to and within 12 inches of the right—hand curb or as close as practicable to the right edge of the right—hand shoulder.
(b) Except when otherwise provided by local ordinance, every vehicle stopped or parked upon a one—way roadway shall be so stopped or parked parallel to the curb or edge of the roadway, in the direction of authorized traffic movement, with its right-hand wheels within 12 inches of the right—hand curb or as close as practicable to the right edge of the right-hand shoulder, or with its left-hand wheels within 12 inches of the left—hand curb or as close as practicable to the left edge of the left-hand shoulder.
(c) Local authorities may permit angle parking on any roadway, except that angle parking shall not be permitted on any Federal-aid or State highway unless the (State highway commission or State highway engineer) has determined that the roadway is of sufficient width to permit angle parking without interfering with the free movement of traffic.
(d) The (State highway commission) with respect to highways under its jurisdiction may place official traffic control devices prohibiting, limiting, or restricting the stopping, standing or parking of vehicles on any highway where in its opinion such stopping, standing or parking is dangerous to those using the highway or where the stopping, standing or parking of vehicles would unduly interfere with the free movement of traffic thereon. No person shall stop, stand or park any vehicle in violation of the restrictions indicated by such devices.

***Yep; another great tip to violate and circumvent the law! If you're so sure you and your Dad aren't doing anything wrong, why lie saying your'e doing that when you know you're doing it to make it appear you have a legal emergency reason to stop! Do it hood up or down and you'll probably have a sticker on the vehicle requiring that it be moved in a certain amount of time to abide by the laws that are in effect!

So I don't give away my good hunting spots to other hunters...incognito mode.

TopGun,
These guys are so not worth it...............and I can't believe the boss is acting like one of the inmates.
Bugs Bunny invented the correct word........Maroons.

Move on, nothing to see here.

Randy, first of all with due respect to you as owner of this website, why are you allowing people like BuzzH to make a mockery of what is trying to be a logical discussion.

This I can agree with. This happens more times than not. I agree Buzz has a lot to offer with regards to information in the outdoor political area.

...but when it comes to social demeanor, there is a serious lacking. Any chance to throw himself on a pedestal with pictures or triumphs and degrade others is becoming more and more of a common theme.

Good for you, your successful and you have the in with finding the spots to hunt. 99% of us don't, so you don't need to rub it in people's faces at every chance. It really is somewhat childish to see this behavior, and no matter how much positive input you have on other things..seeing this behavior brings it down ten fold in my eyes, maybe not your fan club, but the average joe's that like to read and post on this forum I'm sure aren't impressed.

I would agree...if it was someone else doing this that Randy would have locked this thread already or said something. I don't get it.

Finding out if it is legal to park along an interstate hwy to hunt where people have been doing it for years with no problem could be opening a Pandoras' box that everyone looses. If it is clearly illegal ,access is lost for good. If it is clearly legal ,so many hunters will park there in the good areas problems will arise and guess what , the access will be lost . Just my opinion.
John

johnp--Very simple---There has never been legal access like we're talking about! Drive any interstate and keep your eyes open because EVERY single one of them has signs at varying mileages between them that specifically say: "Emergency Parking Only"! I really don't know why there is even a discussion about this. It's like none of the people posting have ever been on an interstate highway before and if you have are not very observant of signage.

A few points.

First, there are some assumptions being made that Buzz does not hear from me about his prickly interactions. As do others.

Second, I asked Top for a citation supporting his claim because I want to know from where he is providing this claim, as the citation would be a helpful to my files where I am often asked to discuss State rights issues in wildlife being usurped by Federal agencies. Even though this is a DOT issue, many times other areas of state rights, such as wildlife, look to other bodies of law that do discuss the topic of State's rights. So far, no official citation has been provided that anyone would consider an authoritative citation of law.

Third, while I tire of people not interacting in an adult manner, I also tire of the BS that goes on with some people incessantly using PMs when others ask to be left alone. I also tire of some sending me moderation requests when they are often as much to blame for the digressions as is the offending person. Unfortunately, a lot happens off these threads that we may not see and that "off thread" stuff contributes to what gets expressed on these threads.

The lesson to all is that everyone can maintain a civil level of behavior both on threads or in PMs. I'm tired of a few people acting like shitheads when we have a hell of a lot bigger issues facing the hunting, access, public land debate. I'm sick and tired of it, from all sources, on all sides. If you cannot keep your behavior at a civil level, go find a different forum. It's that simple.

And yes, this thread is now locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back