Mule Deer Score

I can tell you one thing if you see a 180 buck your gonna know it. They're just...... different. Kinda like looking at bears, if you gotta talk yourself into shooting it then it's probably not what you think it is. When you see a big tuby come out though you know it there's no second guess. Same with a mule deer, big frame, heavy, large body, etc. You will know he's a shooter.

+1000

You won’t need to get out the spotter, you’ll know immediately.

Sometimes a 180 buck really doesn't look like a 180 buck. I almost didn't shoot this deer and it wasn't until he was scored by an official measurer that I knew how foolish that would've been. It was my lack of understanding of deer scoring that almost cost me. He's long tined, heavy (velvet helps obviously), and has great main beams. Width is overrated, length matters.

2272deersm (1).jpg

This one really does look like the 203" buck he is

20170407_083329.jpg

Thanks. Here's a pic that shows him better.

View attachment 126517

That deer does not match his background at all. Looks more like a NW MT or ID panhandle deer. Is it likely that he migrated to this from some dark timber somewhere? Gorgeous buck.

I've only scored two mule deer that I've killed. The first one made me realize just how true tjones' quote above is, and that there's no reason to put a tape to an 'average' MT buck.

well....its official...I know nothing about scoring if that's a 114" buck!:oops:
Yeah you’re telling me! What I look at is if the antlers are at the ears it’s roughly 17 inches. And based off that you can kind of judge how big they are. You can guesstimate math but if you want a quick field verification just see how wide the rack is and if it’s at or outside the ears and if the rack is square and the deer is pretty symmetrical than you can guess it to be around 130. And go from there. Depending on mass and deductions. The best score you can get on spread for the “spread credit” is equal to but not longer than the longest main beam. So based off that you take 17” let’s say if it is at the ears and then check mass, and figure that same measurement for both sides (at most 4 mass measurements depending on how many points), then do your best to measure each point. It’s not full proof but it’s helped me with a starting point in the field. I know that was kind of confusing so if anyone wants clarification I can take the time to explain it better. Basically I’m saying you’ll never get a perfect measurement through the scope until you put a tape on him but it will atleast help you know that you’re shooting a caliber of buck that you want and not something super small. Mule deer are a lot different than white tails because if you look at one of my pictures, that whitetail doesn’t have the spread of height of the muley but it scores 1” less than that muley.
a good thing I like to do is just google pictures of mature mule deer, try and size it up yourself and then find the actual score. When you’dsize it yourself worry about gross, don’t worry about deductions. Gross is what the actual size is, the deductions are only for b&c / p&y, to me they don’t make a shit because I don’t care if it’s symmetrical or not.If it is an old, high caliber buck than shoot it and do your part to help strengthen the heard.

Yeah you’re telling me! What I look at is if the antlers are at the ears it’s roughly 17 inches. And based off that you can kind of judge how big they are. You can guesstimate math but if you want a quick field verification just see how wide the rack is and if it’s at or outside the ears and if the rack is square and the deer is pretty symmetrical than you can guess it to be around 130. And go from there. Depending on mass and deductions. The best score you can get on spread for the “spread credit” is equal to but not longer than the longest main beam. So based off that you take 17” let’s say if it is at the ears and then check mass, and figure that same measurement for both sides (at most 4 mass measurements depending on how many points), then do your best to measure each point. It’s not full proof but it’s helped me with a starting point in the field. I know that was kind of confusing so if anyone wants clarification I can take the time to explain it better. Basically I’m saying you’ll never get a perfect measurement through the scope until you put a tape on him but it will atleast help you know that you’re shooting a caliber of buck that you want and not something super small. Mule deer are a lot different than white tails because if you look at one of my pictures, that whitetail doesn’t have the spread of height of the muley but it scores 1” less than that muley.
a good thing I like to do is just google pictures of mature mule deer, try and size it up yourself and then find the actual score. When you’dsize it yourself worry about gross, don’t worry about deductions. Gross is what the actual size is, the deductions are only for b&c / p&y, to me they don’t make a shit because I don’t care if it’s symmetrical or not.If it is an old, high caliber buck than shoot it and do your part to help strengthen the heard.
If you have good mass and they are the same in each side roughly then that will drive your score way up, they way they get you is on your deductions. My whitetail would’ve scored a hell of a lot better but it had 3 broken tines, (G-3, g-4 and the main beam on left side facing from behind the deer) it’s not all about the rack though, sometimes you get a really mature deer that has had poor genetics and didn’t grow too well in size, but has ran it’s course and is time for it to be taken out of the heard to help the population.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back