Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

View attachment 211462

Imo still the king of any ram I've seen. He hasn't been back though for a couple seasons. Last time I saw him his whole left side was gone

just an unbelievable ram....

View attachment 211462
Yeah he was such a stud, I haven’t seen or heard of anyone seeing him the last two winters either. Lion must’ve snuck up on his blind side

Thanks for all the input on spike camping and or bivy hunting. Seems like everyone has a preference and I’m sure they can all work.

Some good looking rams in those photos. Helps keep that sheep blood pumping.

Dumb question here what causes the chunks of horn to be broken off on a ram Fighting ? or is it an age thing
I googled it but couldnt find an answer
Maybe age n fighting combination I know some days my body parts feel like they are trying to make an exit

Dumb question here what causes the chunks of horn to be broken off on a ram Fighting ? or is it an age thing
Maybe age n fighting combination I know some days my body parts feel like they are trying to make an exit

When you see rams with huge laminations of horn missing or entire horn gone, it's most often due to sinusitis.

Hey Bighorn thanks for posting the survey I tried to google several times and didnt come up with an answer

A few years ago, we were watching a few rams and about a dozen ewes on the side of a hill in AZ. The rams were butting heads pretty good so there must have been a hot ewe in the bunch. They finally got in a place where we wanted to put a stalk on one of the rams. After further inspection we noticed that his right horn was now 3/4 gone and the tip of his horn was bright red. When we started watching the rams there were no broken horns. Needless to say that was the ram we wanted to stalk so we didn't even attempt a stalk. His posture also changed dramatically. He could tell something happened because he wouldn't challenge the other ram anymore and was very timid. After about an hour he left to group and went on a walk about.

Not to continue to beat a dead horse but is this 4? Can someone mark up the annuli that get it there?

View attachment 205376
That's a generous marking for the base of the horn, didn't realize that's how they mark it. Also the angle manipulates the result drastically, could near make a ewe legal with a string base to tip from the right angle. Move the camera a hair to the right and the string wouldn't touch the eye of this ram. I'd be curious to see a true side on view of this arrangement. The view shown appears in my opinion from a higher and further back point of view than a true side on, and they may have had to do it that way to bisect the eye.

Agreed, I couldn't glass this ram for 4 hrs from 25 yards and come up the thought that pulling the trigger is a good idea. I fear too that leniency introduces the risk of hunters using this as precident or an example of legal, and finding themselves in hot water.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jscrocca
Back