Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

Can someone explain to me how the unlimited sheep, generally spending more time in the timber, develop darker horns due to sap? I've seen it mentioned several times here. Do they rub on trees like deer and elk???

Hey guys, shines@times here, just checking in after an extended absence.

I'm in my fifth week of emptying a building that I sold in Polson Montana and I heard a little bit from locals about a guy getting killed and devoured by griz down in the Absaroka Beartooth country. Since that is our favorite country I figured you guys would be discussing the hell out of the incident, especially in light of all of the grizzly bear discussion that I've seen on the thread the last few months.

My own luck is holding true to course. Coming over from Western Washington I made it to the crest of Lookout Pass with a motorhome in flames (after spending $560 on tires in Kellogg Idaho) got it stopped just under the overpass and decided that wasn't the best place to park a burning vehicle. I drifted down about a hundred yards into Montana. Stopped behind a semi with enough space between us that I would not light him up too.

Thus, I have been in rental vehicles for the last four plus weeks. After I get home, I'll post some photos if anybody is interested. I managed to save my camera but not my 2-day-old cell phone and my almost 12-year-old laptop.

I had to obtain another cell phone in order to rent a U-Haul truck. I'm halfway talking to text and editing best I can; so, if there are any big typos or grammatical errors please excuse.

If there's any silver lining to this cloudy misadventure I guess it's finding out that I've got a little bit more physical ability remaining than I thought I would have. Been working my old butt off for 5 weeks and am modestly encouraged about the prospects for some more outdoor adventures. That is, if the asbestos dust and the mold spores don't kill me first!

May 1st is coming much too soon to consider this year; but hey, 73 is not too old to hunt sheep in the Beartooth Wilderness, right?

Hey guys, shines@times here, just checking in after an extended absence.

I'm in my fifth week of emptying a building that I sold in Polson Montana and I heard a little bit from locals about a guy getting killed and devoured by griz down in the Absaroka Beartooth country. Since that is our favorite country I figured you guys would be discussing the hell out of the incident, especially in light of all of the grizzly bear discussion that I've seen on the thread the last few months.

My own luck is holding true to course. Coming over from Western Washington I made it to the crest of Lookout Pass with a motorhome in flames (after spending $560 on tires in Kellogg Idaho) got it stopped just under the overpass and decided that wasn't the best place to park a burning vehicle. I drifted down about a hundred yards into Montana. Stopped behind a semi with enough space between us that I would not light him up too.

Thus, I have been in rental vehicles for the last four plus weeks. After I get home, I'll post some photos if anybody is interested. I managed to save my camera but not my 2-day-old cell phone and my almost 12-year-old laptop.

I had to obtain another cell phone in order to rent a U-Haul truck. I'm halfway talking to text and editing best I can; so, if there are any big typos or grammatical errors please excuse.

If there's any silver lining to this cloudy misadventure I guess it's finding out that I've got a little bit more physical ability remaining than I thought I would have. Been working my old butt off for 5 weeks and am modestly encouraged about the prospects for some more outdoor adventures. That is, if the asbestos dust and the mold spores don't kill me first!

May 1st is coming much too soon to consider this year; but hey, 73 is not too old to hunt sheep in the Beartooth Wilderness, right?
The incident I believe you're referring to was in 6 mile, on the *east side of the Paradise Valley. I'm sure there were other threads where it was discussed, but it didn't make it on this thread, which I'm personally okay with since there's other forums that it is more applicable to than Unlimited Sheep. 170 pages and counting- we're bound to get off topic while awaiting the upcoming season.

Last edited:
... May 1st is coming much too soon to consider this year; but hey, 73 is not too old to hunt sheep in the Beartooth Wilderness, right?
Bummer about your trip back from Idaho...

I did most of my Unlimited sheep hunting in the '80s and '90s when I was in my 40s and 50s, AND I had my own horses for many of those hunts.

But, I was 71 when I did my Dagestan Tur hunt in Azerbaijan, and those mountains were steeper and more rugged than any of my sheep hunts here at home, and in Canada.

I did my last Unlimited sheep hunt in 1999 and decided to just apply for one of the draw units and hope for a tag for a monster. Last month I was at my taxidermist's shop and Fred King was there scoring a 180 1/8" ram that a local 81 year old gentleman had shot last year in the Spanish Peaks on a DIY hunt with his son and grandson.

That shows that there's still hope for us geezers. ;)

What are you talking about this is Hunt Talk we run a tight ship here😉.

There's only one site in the world where you can talk about Why do people drink ginger ale? Setup potential cage fights between members on a mule deer forum, talk, about, the, usage, of, Oxford, commas. AND talk about dink rams people pay the MTFWP off to keep quiet about it.

#blessed2participate
You forgot #tacobus. 🤑

What are you talking about this is Hunt Talk we run a tight ship here😉.

There's only one site in the world where you can talk about Why do people drink ginger ale? Setup potential cage fights between members on a mule deer forum, talk, about, the, usage, of, Oxford, commas. AND talk about dink rams people pay the MTFWP off to keep quiet about it.

#blessed2participate
My wife is at Costco right now and I told her the only thing I want is ginger ale. Will review under the appropriate thread when the time comes.

The incident I believe you're referring to was in 6 mile, on the west side of the Paradise Valley. I'm sure there were other threads where it was discussed, but it didn't make it on this thread, which I'm personally okay with since there's other forums that it is more applicable to than Unlimited Sheep. 170 pages and counting- we're bound to get off topic while awaiting the upcoming season.
I think you have your map upside down.

Yeah well don't buy that Kirkland shit it's a fraud in the eyes of a ginger ale lover. That's like saying Mrs. Butterworth is real maple syrup.

Prepare for thread is derailment in 5. 4. 3. 2. .....
I told her to buy the finest they had.

She said that would likely be Canada Dry but she’ll look around.

I did my last Unlimited sheep hunt in 1999 and decided to just apply for one of the draw units and hope for a tag for a monster. Last month I was at my taxidermist's shop and Fred King was there scoring a 180 1/8" ram that a local 81 year old gentleman had shot last year in the Spanish Peaks on a DIY hunt with his son and grandson.
If you haven't read this thread by Greenhorn you should, he met the hunter the day he killed the ram. Page 19 or so. Quite the story all the way around.

If you haven't read this thread by Greenhorn you should, he met the hunter the day he killed the ram. Page 19 or so. Quite the story all the way around.

Yep, that's the hunter and ram that Fred was scoring. I enjoyed talking with Jim, and like I posted earlier, he's an inspiration to all of us geezers.

Bummer about your trip back from Idaho...

I did most of my Unlimited sheep hunting in the '80s and '90s when I was in my 40s and 50s, AND I had my own horses for many of those hunts.

But, I was 71 when I did my Dagestan Tur hunt in Azerbaijan, and those mountains were steeper and more rugged than any of my sheep hunts here at home, and in Canada.

That shows that there's still hope for us geezers. ;)
Was it 180- 1/8 net? What a fantastic sheep, i hope it squeaked into all-time B&C!

This maybe be a stupid question but I believe knowledge is power. This thread has always been kinda of a pipe dream and I’ve been living vicarious through y’all. But since I’ll be moving out west this fall and will only be 10 hours from the Beartooths this seems more doable than ever. I got every book recommended in this thread. There is just one thing that scares the hell out of me and that avalanches; it’s not something I’ve dealt with in the east. Is it a good idea to attend some this https://avtraining.org/aiare-level-1/ or anybody have any other resources available that will help. Thanks in advance.

This maybe be a stupid question but I believe knowledge is power. This thread has always been kinda of a pipe dream and I’ve been living vicarious through y’all. But since I’ll be moving out west this fall and will only be 10 hours from the Beartooths this seems more doable than ever. I got every book recommended in this thread. There is just one thing that scares the hell out of me and that avalanches; it’s not something I’ve dealt with in the east. Is it a good idea to attend some this https://avtraining.org/aiare-level-1/ or anybody have any other resources available that will help. Thanks in advance.
It would be exceedingly rare for avalanches to be an issue if you’re hunting in September.

If you’re hunting into November it could be a concern, but even then, it would be rare for there to be that much snowfall before the end of November.

I just keep an eye on the published avalanche warnings and avoid areas of concern. There isn’t any level of training that will keep you alive if you end up in an avalanche.

There are definitely some places that are dangerous if it’s still open in the last half of November but first, it has to stay open, second, you have to get there, third, it has to be the kind of year with those snow conditions.

We’ve definitely had a few times where we had to think about it, but it is very rare. Non issue if you’re hunting the opener.

I think it would be rare, but certainly not impossible. Work on identifying avalanche terrain so you can avoid putting yourself in a position of additional risk to begin with. Those Avy 1 courses are a great place to start and are worth the price of admission if you plan on skiing, snowmobiling, etc. after moving out west, and will give you a great knowledge base for identifying and avoiding avalanche terrain regardless of activities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainy
Back