MT unit 310 backpacking

Yellowstoner

A friend and I drew tags to unit 310, south of Big Sky. We have been scouting out there with no luck seeing elk earlier this season. We are headed up this week hoping to catch some elk migrating out of the park. We are planning on heading up the east side of the highway, backpacking in and setting up camp for 4 days. If anyone has any advice on glossing spots or migratory paths, I would be grateful for any information on spots we should check out. It was tough scouting this season with the weather being so warm - we are hoping this storm moves some bulls.

Have you been in there at all this season? What have you seen so far?

I don't spend anytime on that side of the road, but I would be surprised if the weather we've had is enough to push many animals out of the park. You never know though. Good luck.

Here's a thought: get out and hunt a little bit.

The Taylor Fork is full of elk.

Not everyone has as much time as you.. Maybe you can provide this guy some tips if you are familiar with the area with the time constraints he has?

Not everyone has as much time as you.. Maybe you can provide this guy some tips if you are familiar with the area with the time constraints he has?

Sorry but I don't work hard to find elk hunting spots and then give them up to the first guy to ask on the internet with 14 posts.

Here's a thought: get out and hunt a little bit.

The Taylor Fork is full of elk.

Here's a thought: we aren't hunting Taylor Fork, we are hunting the park side of the highway, so I haven't spent any time up there. However, as I've said, I've made two trips in to the park side (which is not exactly a roadside hunt mind you..) and seen zero elk. I have, however hiked my ass off up there and am headed in 6 miles for 4 days in sub zero temps in search of elk. So yeah, if someone has a pass I should scope out while I'm back there, that'd be great and I would be forever grateful. However, if I get nothing out of it, it was still worth the try asking.

I'm not looking for free handouts, and am definitely willing to earn it on my own. I was just hoping for the 'hey I headed up there 5 years ago and saw elk moving through x gap' sort of info. I will let you know how it goes though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back