MT trip plans....

1_pointer

Looks like I'll be heading through the great state of MT for the Memorial Day weekend. I'm leaving UT on Thurs. afternoon and will be spending the night in Bozeman. So if anyone in/around Bozeman wants me to buy them a drink let me know. Friday I'll be taking a brief stop in Miles City on my way to Glendive where I'll be trying to snag a paddlefish (hoping for to catch one like the one below) for two days and heading back to UT on Monday.
13.jpg

If anyone's along the route and would like to meet up, let me know!

Have you checked the fishing report at Intake? I haven't heard if they are catching fish down there or not. Good luck.

Nemont

I used to make the trek to Glendive every year but haven't for the last few. Hard to believe I only have to drive 2 hours to get there and I don't go and you are willing to drive from Utah just to fish for them.

Have fun.

Nemont

Forgive my ignorance, but why is snagging/bowfishing the common way to get these fish? What do they eat?

They're filter feeders. I'm guessing it's hard to rig a hook with algae? ;)

'Gunner- Haven't thought of that! :D

Where is the sport 1 pointer? Try a size 18 PT nymph on 6x tippet.....That's sporty.

So filter feeders as in a baleen whale? Huh, who'd a thunk it.

I see South Dakota has a season for them. Maybe next year I'll give it a go.

1-Pointer,

Here is an article from today's Billingsgazette.

60-mt-outdoors.jpg
May 22, 2005

Montana outdoors: Paddlefish season starts out hot
Mark Henckel
MONTANA OUTDOORS

No doubt about it, it's paddlefish time on the lower Yellowstone River. And this appears to be a year when you'd better get after those paddlers soon if you hope to have a chance at them.

North Dakota's paddlefish season opened May 1 and was closed on May 14 as anglers there approached the quota of 1,000. Montana's season opened on May 15 and more than 100 paddlers were snagged in the first few days.

For die-hard paddlefish anglers, that means they'd better make tracks to Intake because the fish are there now. If they wait, the Montana quota of 1,000 might be filled quickly and the season could be shut down.

One Billings paddlefish angler who played his fishing cards right this year was Todd Gerving. He got after them right away in North Dakota and found almost instant success.

In an e-mail, Gerving wrote, "My friends and I have been traveling to North Dakota for many years now. This year's trip was better than usual.

"We left Billings on Wednesday, May 4. We arrived at the 1804 gas station in Trenton, N.D., just in time to purchase our paddlefish tags (the owners of the store stayed open a few extra minutes just for us)," he continued.

"The weather was fantastic, so we decided to throw a few casts at the confluence before sunset. Four casts later, I landed a 78-pound fish. The next day, my brother in-law, Justin Helvik, caught an 83-pound fish on his very first cast," Gerving said.

He concluded, "Finally, the third member of our group landed a 68-pound fish about an hour later, and we were done in record time. After fishing in North Dakota for quite a few years now, I thought I could give a few pointers for success, if you would like to share them with our fellow paddlefishermen."

Here's Gerving's suggestions:

-Purchase a North Dakota fishing license on the Internet before you leave, this will save time at the license counter.

-Arrive on a Sunday evening, then purchase tags at the Trenton Store. The tags are not available over the Internet, like they are in Montana.

-Bring a boat if you can. This will allow you to get a spot on the river all to yourself.

-Fish catch and release on Monday and Tuesday, then fish Wednesday for your keeper.

-Plan your trip to end about the 15th of May. Then, you can try the Montana season as well.

-Bring a few friends.

Montana paddlefish action on the Yellowstone River - or the Missouri River above or below Fort Peck Reservoir - is often driven by flows.

A good, big shot of high, muddy water triggers prairie river species like the paddlefish to run upriver.

North Dakota anglers typically target the fish before the big flows arrive as they stage at and near the confluence of the Yellowstone and Missouri Rivers. Montana anglers have better fishing after the high, muddy waters come and the fish move up to Intake Diversion Dam.

Thanks for the article!

Tbone- The sport is, I've never done it and it looks like a decent way to spend the weekend. Catching a 80# fish can't be that boring!!! :D Plus, why else would I ever want to see West Dakota???? ;)

1 Pointer, dude if you are fishing at Intake (I assume you are) you'll only be about 30 minutes away. Give me a call and I'll come down and say hello if I can get away. PM me and I'll give you my phone number. Would like to meet you in person.

P.S. my students have been catching the crap out of some huge paddle fish recently so I imagine you'll do well this coming weekend.

Well, looks like the plans have changed a bit. The intake is closing on the 24th (quota I guess) so, we're heading farther up river to the confluence of the Missouri and Yellowstone. We'll be camping in/near a small town called Fairview (pretty sure). If we tag out, 1 fish limit, we'll either spend time popping pd's in ND or head west into MT and fish somewhere else. Either way I'm thinking it won't suck!! :D

BS- PM heading your way! Looks like I'll be even closer now...

Dude you will only be 5 minutes from me while in Fairview. The Confluence is only about 15 to 20 minutes from my door step. I would suggest popping the prairie dogs in Montana as you don't need a license to do that here, but in North Dakota the license is around $75.00 or so, just to shoot a friggen prairie poodle.

Nemont- Yep, that's where we'll probably head after we tag out in ND.

BS- Thanks for the heads up, I planned on looking that up later. I hear tell that prairie poodles are off limits until the first on BLM, so if you know of any on state or private land I'm all ears! ;) We're not looking to burn 1k rounds, just have a bit of fun.

Thanks both of you for your tips/help.

1-Pointer,

I read they made that stretch of the Yellowstone River Catch and Release only until June 30.

You can still catch and tag on the Missouri above Fort Peck.

Nemont

Tyler, give me a call and I will buy you lunch at the truck stop on your way just off I-15 on I-90....

406 491 5078

Russ

Back