Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

MT left-over licenses going on sale

. We should put a lower quota. At one time it was 11,000 NR combos, period. No other kind was available.

The only thing Montana needs to do, is stop the livestock industry, and the state legislature from managing our big game.

That would be a real good start.

I can see where everyone has a different opinion on the value of the MT combo-license. Having hunted pretty much every western state, for many years, I have my own impression of the relative value for each state. Some of that is dependent upon the proximity to one's own home state, as travel costs and travel time make a close destination more valuable than a further destination.

If I were a non-resident of all the elk/mule deer states, my top three picks for what I would do would look something like this, with value, quality, tag access, all considered. I would want to hunt elk every year, so I would be focused on general tags, as those are always easier to draw than limiited entry tags. That eliminates NV, AZ, NM, from the equations, places I would apply to those states every year, regardless of what I was doing with my general season apps.

Colorado - OTC elk. This is the best value in the west for elk hunting. Tons of elk, lots of public land, and like most places, 95% of the hunters hang near roads and trails. There are nice bulls killed in every OTC unit, every year. No, not many huge bulls, but enough decent bulls that I think most hunters would be happy with. In an OTC unit in CO, any mature 6X6 is a great bull. Given that few traveling elk hunters have shot a lot of 6X6 bulls, they would be overjoyed to shoot one. The CO OTC units provide that opportunity, with not much planning required. The price is very nice and CO is close to many states.

MT elk/deer combo - Yeah, it costs a bit more, but you get a ton for what you buy. And, the number of big bulls taken on MT general tags is probably higher than any state that has general tag units. For top-end quality in general units, there is no general elk tag I would rather have than a MT general elk tag. I would hunt it in archery season, if I had to pick my week. The big bulls are vocal and they are on public to a greater degree than in rifle season, by which time they have may have migrated to lower private ground due to hunting pressure or weather. Expect a lot of pressue, just like CO, but if you get to the hard to access areas, the quality of bulls can be very good. Most of the tremendous MT bulls posted on this site from MT general units.

And, by drawing the general tag, you can still apply for a limited entry unit. Only MT and ID allow you to apply for a limited entry tag, once you have your general tag/license. If you don't draw, you still have a great tag in your pocket. The last two years have been 100% draw odds for NRs, making them an OTC option, for all practical purposes.

WY General Tag - This is a lot like Montana, but harder to draw, and does not come with the deer tag, or with the crazy long seasons that MT has. Private land is more of an issue in MT, than in WY. WY general units have some great bulls shot every year. Some of the bulls shot on late limited entry hunts in WY, are on general units for part of the archery season.

The WY wilderness law sucks, as the best general unit elk hunting in those general units can be in the wilderness areas. If not for that wilderness law, I would maybe put WY ahead of MT for general unit tags. I screwed up this year and did not put in for the WY general tag, thinking I was a lock for a limited tag with my point count. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

All three of those choices require some serious work to get into the country where better bulls exist. Even more work to get your bull back to the truck. In all of those states, you can save the $8,000 cost of an ATV, as it will be of no use to get to the high quality bulls in these units. The harder you are willing to work, the less pressure you will encounter.

Nothing more Amercian than when your odds of a big pay off increase for every ounce of plain old hard work you invest.

Just my thoughts. If some don't like the MT idea, I understand that. If they were here to see the quality of elk that guys sneak out of the hills, I think the demand for MT elk tags would be higher. In fact, if most serious elk hunters knew what gets killed here on general tags, they would be turning back the deer portion and keeping the elk portion, rather than the other way around.

But, if that continues to be an overlooked item on the western hunting radar screen, that is good for me.

All that said, I still hope they sell all the tags. Once the elk portion of these combo tags get turned back in, there will be a ton more general MT elk tags available for OTC purchase.

There's big elk on public land here in MT? Shhhh. Dont tell anyone.

BF,my elk/deer hunting plan is very similar to what you posted.I think Mt. offers the biggest elk on average in its general units.But, there are probably more bulls in co, and Wy general units.Those are the 3 states I hunt,and I don't apply to the others.Just takes too long to draw a good tag in the other states
I think mt. offers the NR alot of opportunity.Don't know much about the politics there over herd size,but I hear I missed out when it was even better;hard to imagine after my hunt last year.Hoping to land a job there shortly and finish my life under the Big Sky

now that everyone has said what is and isn't a good deal, anyone want to say where these leftover tags are good for? what areas? going to be in wyoming this fall anyway, might have to "cross the border" if they are in fair to good areas.

Fin??? you started this........:eek:

The left over tags are general elk tags and big game combo (elk and deer tag). These tags are good for all general units, which is most of the state.

Probably make that 801 left over combo tags as I didn't draw deer or elk limited licenses and 99% sure I will turn the combo back in. Will have to wait and see what the other states bring first.

Probably make that 801 left over combo tags as I didn't draw deer or elk limited licenses and 99% sure I will turn the combo back in. Will have to wait and see what the other states bring first.

Between the folks who return the elk portion of the big game combo and the folks who return the enitre tag becasue they didn't draw a limited entry unit thats a bunch of refunds.
Gotta think Montana is one of the top states if not #1 in the number of big game tags returned each year.

Montana will have to do a little calculation and figure if they lowered the price a bit they may come out ahead with higher tag sales. CO did that a few years back when they raised cow elk tags and it bit them in the ass. They dropped the price again the next year.
Bottom line is I think a lot of guys have hit the limit of cost of the combo given the economy and unemployment rate.
I will be hunting deer this year again, but turned in my elk tag for that refund amount. I am happy hunting deer and then chasing birds, yotes and p-dogs after I get my deer. On other years if I had not drawn in other states I would be happy to apply for the archery Elk in some areas to make it out there twice in one year.

I would like to do the Montana Combo and probably will in the next few years but I'll have to drive past some better priced elk hunts on the way.

The expanded window is a bonus but doesn't add much value, if any, for me. I'll likely wait for a year where I'll be able to squeeze out 3 weeks or more so I can utilize more of the added opportunities.

I bet Montana is going to address how they structure their licenses in the next few years. They can't have a bunch of people putting in for the combo, then turning it back in if they don't draw a LE tag.

A general opinion seems to be that the return of NR combo tags in Montana is a big loss from prior to the price increase. As I recall the price increase was in excess of 10%, so if 10% of tags are unsold, then the net gain is still an increase in revenues. But I don't know. If someone has analized that result for the past couple of years, I would be interested in learning what has occurred with respect to the revenues from NR licenses.

Just checked the site. I'm guessing there are still NR licenses available, but there is no longer a banner on the hunting site that they did/did not sell out. Anyone have the skinny?

Last year there were still licenses available in November and this year sales should be less with the MT native bill so I would imagine you could buy leftover or returned licenses up to the end of the season just like last year.

I missed the ball here, how much is it to buy a returned Montana Elk tag?

3 years ago Montana was at the top of my list, but I was under the impression that you had to get all the extra expenses with your tag which pushed it out of my price range. If I lived in a different state, I would love to hunt the Montana deer potion of the deer/elk combo, but in SD I could potentially hunt 4 rifle buck tags during the rut, plus 2 archery buck tags during the rut, plus a muzzy tag during December (great time to hunt mule deer especially when no one else is out) in the same year. When you consider antelope, fall fishing, November is usually the best time to be chasing mallards in SD and multiple reservation rifle rut buck tags available in state why drive so far? The value of the combo tag really depends on your perspective. If I lived in Wyoming I would probably think Montana's opportunities were fantastic. Living 600 miles from the border I would have to drive past a lot of opportunities to hunt Bucks, Birds and fish. If I could get only an Elk tag for the same price as Wyoming I would be there in a heartbeat!

DHaffner "I missed the ball here, how much is it to buy a returned Montana Elk tag?"

Since the returned tags have never been used, same price as original.

Considering time and travel, sounds like SD is a good choice for you. I think most NRs drive past many good deer, bird, and fish opportunities to hunt Montana elk. 'Guess it depends on what hunting you want.

Last year there were still licenses available in November and this year sales should be less with the MT native bill so I would imagine you could buy leftover or returned licenses up to the end of the season just like last year.

Roger that!!!

Back