Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

MT left-over licenses going on sale

Dan price is really a lame excuse.

Oregon Elk : $640 for a very small hunting season.
Montana Elk: $789 for 5 weeks. 6 weeks of archery. You can hunt deer at the same time.

Montana would be worth it if the quality, and quantity was still here. It's not so there's less people willing to shell out the bucks.

Throw in the Deer tag for a total of $944, includes Turkey, Fishing, and upland game bird
Oregon Deer tag $375.50 + $540elk = $915 + $26.50UGB= $942 +$77.50 Turkey, +$106 NR Fishing.

So dan, Oregon is a lot more money, and has lousy season structures.

I think if you check out all that goes with the licence in Montana, and lenght of season, these tags are right in line with most western states.

The resource needs to be taken care of better.

You are forgetting the long seasons basically mean nothing to a non-res the average guy only gets to come and hunt for a week of that long season. I gotta disagree it has become a rip off you are paying almost 1,000 dollars for a mulie on that combo that is average at best in most states. I have been there for 12 years on and off and it has went downhill drastically from what I've seen. Maybe the non-res are tired of footing the bill out there for a tiny slice of the pie. I really don't mind paying a lot more than a res. trust me, but those prices have went too far finally.

You are forgetting the long seasons basically mean nothing to a non-res the average guy only gets to come and hunt for a week of that long season. I gotta disagree it has become a rip off you are paying almost 1,000 dollars for a mulie on that combo that is average at best in most states. I have been there for 12 years on and off and it has went downhill drastically from what I've seen. Maybe the non-res are tired of footing the bill out there for a tiny slice of the pie. I really don't mind paying a lot more than a res. trust me, but those prices have went too far finally.

Seems like you arrived at a simple solution, don't come and keep your wallet closed.

for the record I wish they would raise Resident licenses and expect us to pay our own way more than they do but good luck getting the average guy Montanan to really care a whole bunch about the average guy non resident. Not saying it is right but that is reality.

I bet the outfitters are burning up the phone lines right now to guys who used to pay more and telling them that there are still tags out there. Hope they sell out but if they don't maybe our legislature will take a hard look at ways to guarantee a more reliable revenue stream and have the resident hunters put their money where there mouth is.

Nemont

Seems like you arrived at a simple solution, don't come and keep your wallet closed.

for the record I wish they would raise Resident licenses and expect us to pay our own way more than they do but good luck getting the average guy Montanan to really care a whole bunch about the average guy non resident. Not saying it is right but that is reality.

I bet the outfitters are burning up the phone lines right now to guys who used to pay more and telling them that there are still tags out there. Hope they sell out but if they don't maybe our legislature will take a hard look at ways to guarantee a more reliable revenue stream and have the resident hunters put their money where there mouth is.

Nemont

Agreed Nemont. We need to put more skin in the game AND demand better results in management at the same time. Starting with a rewrite of the EMP to reflect biology not social concerns.

Enjoy your hunt if you got the combo you will probally take some deer but if your hoping for an elk in MT. don't get your hopes up too much I've done the elk thing there for several years and I aint doin it anymore it's a waste of my hard earned money. Enjoy the time with your Dad though.;)

Just cuz this guy^ can't find elk here don't mean you won't Mr. Young!

Nemont no disrespect meant there I just get a little angry with all the $$$$'s these days it seems the average joe just don't have a chance anymore. I'm not rich by any means I have always saved very hard and went without to visit MT. love it there but the question is When is enough enough? And I think it's gotten there for me. By the way I can't keep my wallet closed to hunting just making different decisions this year I am going to Alaska doing the haul rd. hunt I can by two bou tags and a wolf tag for the price of that Non res. combo and have the trip of a lifetime.:rolleyes:

Just cuz this guy^ can't find elk here don't mean you won't Mr. Young!

I know, I did the math and know there are long odds, but even if we eat tag soup it was worth the money to me. At a minimum hopefully those dollars help habitat and wildlife in MT.

There has been no shortage of time spent on the internet, google maps, and google earth trying to improve my odds (at the detriment of my marriage). My biggest challenge is my Dad, he has arthritis in his hips and while he can get around, he'ds not going climb 2,000ft with me or make it 3+ miles into the BC.

I'm open to all suggestions from those with more experience, discretion assured as it is likely MT won't come back up in my rotation for quite some time. :)

I just think if they lowered the price say $200,the combo would be more competitive with some of the other states,,,as with alot of the other folks out there,a 6 week season doesnt do the average workin man any advantage as the average out of stater will probly spend a couple weeks hunting a specific hunt,,then back to work till next year.

But, it's that window that allows flexibility to the NR hunter. It's obviously great for the local, but that flexibility to come in a week, two or even four weeks after the opener (most likely after all have gone home) can be a huge benefit to the NR.

If a NR has last minute flexibility with work he could wait for better conditions or effectively wait "on call" for a great hunting window.

If montana is gonna cry about lost revinue from not enough non-residents spending money there its rather simple economics,,,lower the price and youll have more people apply,,,,this year personally i put in for 6 different states and montana isnt one of them,,,,although on my list,,,it wasnt gonna be the best bang for the buck.

I love Montana, and plan to hunt there again someday.
For now, Montana is a back-up plan because the cost vs opportunity just is not there for the average non resident.
There is one fact that pretty much settles this debate;

Over 2,000 un-sold tags.

How many left over elk tags does Wyoming have ?
Do you think you can pick up a left over bull tag in Arizona ? New Mexico ?
Lots of good suggestions above, Montana needs to make some changes, I wish them luck.

Oh, and another thing, I'm sure they would sell a lot more tags if they would just move the state a about a thousand miles closer to the rest of the world. Whats up with that ?

For now, Montana is a back-up plan because the cost vs opportunity just is not there for the average non resident.

Laffin'...

I love Montana, and plan to hunt there again someday.
There is one fact that pretty much settles this debate;

Over 2,000 un-sold tags.

How many left over elk tags does Wyoming have ?
Do you think you can pick up a left over bull tag in Arizona ? New Mexico ?
Lots of good suggestions above, Montana needs to make some changes, I wish them luck.

Oh, and another thing, I'm sure they would sell a lot more tags if they would just move the state a about a thousand miles closer to the rest of the world. Whats up with that ?

Montana still sells about 60% more tags than Wyoming. We should cut that number.

Same thing for Arizona, and New Mexico. We should put a lower quota. At one time it was 11,000 NR combos, period. No other kind was available.

The only thing Montana needs to do, is stop the livestock industry, and the state legislature from managing our big game.

I guess the way I see it is yea the tag is high price.When I come out west to hunt I am there to hunt big game not birds and not to fish.Paying for something I dont want is nonsense to me but the state still knows I would do it to have the opportunity to hunt.The whole 11 week season thing is nice but most non res can only hunt 1-2 weeks.I know where Buzz is comming from as far as having an 11 week window to hunt but it does not make the tag worth more money to me.As for now I guess if I want to hunt deer/elk in montana the saying goes if you want to play you have to pay.

Archery elk in September and a second trip in November for rutting mule deer on the same license. I like Montana!!!!!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back