MT Late Season Bulls?

Why hunt the season anymore? Just wait for the "locals season" and have the place to yourself.

Heaven forbid someone allow access during the season for cow hunts.

Dude.... That's wild. Not cool at all, turn it into a spike only rule. If they did that I bet no one would go back out.

I can see it now, "how did your breaks tag go?" "Totally dope bro, dropped a totally epic bull real late in the season"

*withholds showing picture of spike shot with the road in the background*

Look guys, Elk gouge the living shit out of young trees making them die, or look ugly for the rest of their lives. That's a long time too BTW.

Elk Stink! They have a musty Elk smell that's just Gosh damn inconvenient to smell.

Elk eat!

Elk Drink!

Elk make sounds that can hurt your hearing. High pitched screams that, (if your close) can damage your hearing.

Elk Sleep!

Elk grow horns, that if shed on a road, or hay field can do some serious damage to equipment.

Elk have lots of meat on their bones that if utilized take money out of the bank accounts of Ranchers. Unbelievable!

Elk leave tracks! They can actually smash down grass that cattle need to chew on, so Ranchers make money.

Elk Shit! They leave droppings that turn black and grey then white. Bastards!

There's more terrible things they do, and the list goes on.

No question that we need to remove these vermin from our Public lands.

Make American great again on dead Elk at a time.

Everyday I see something about montana on here that makes my head shake. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️
Same. I feel like every once in a while, I see a glimmer of hope and then its quickly squashed. I went to a meeting and I was shocked to hear a rancher stand up and say "we should learn to coexist with elk instead of killing every one of them. I've put up a fence around my hay and it has paid for itself within a year and a half."
And then you have the loud landowners that want every elk shot on sight (hopefully it isnt quite that bad). And it seems that those are the ones being listened to. I'm still learning about all of this and how conservation works, I've never even shot an elk yet but a late season bull hunt doesnt sound very great to me.

Not much different than Indians shooting them in January or February. If I was offered a late season bull tag I would hunt it, but I wouldn’t be posting it on the internet or telling a bunch of people. I have never hunted the shoulder seasons either to shoot cows,I did consider it the first year but didn’t feel right about killing two elk while shooting a pregnant cow. I hope they are happy with their trophy.

Not much different than Indians shooting them in January or February. If I was offered a late season bull tag I would hunt it, but I wouldn’t be posting it on the internet or telling a bunch of people. I have never hunted the shoulder seasons either to shoot cows,I did consider it the first year but didn’t feel right about killing two elk while shooting a pregnant cow. I hope they are happy with their trophy.
Soooo... It's ok if its a secret? mtmuley

I’m just not one to go around telling a bunch of windjammers where, how, when I hunt. If it’s legal by the Montana FWP laws there isn’t much I can say about it. And if there are that many bulls in those units, it’s probably better to shoot bulls than cows.
I agree with the thought that 11 weeks of season is more than enough.

I would have no problem hunting a bull in January. Killed a good bull in Wyoming a few years ago in December.

I would have no problem hunting a bull in January. Killed a good bull in Wyoming a few years ago in December.

I wouldn't have a problem with it either. The problem I have is it appears there are two sets of rules here. The season dates in 417 for bulls in the reg book has ended but yet it appears some privileged folks have been given a green light to shoot bulls outta season the way I see it.

It’s not a rumor. My neighbor shot a 6x6 in 417. He said FWP called either sex tag holders and let them hunt.

I don’t know what other unit was opened since he didn’t say, but he said his son killed a 5x5 close to the Judith Mountains. I didn’t think to ask what unit.

My curiosity in this whole thing with the MTFWP ruining elk hunting...has always been how long are Montana Sportsmen going to allow this shit to continue?

I mean there has to be some tipping point, 6 month seasons, hunting bulls in the breaks until February, 3 elk per tag purchaser next year.

I guess its like a good friend of mine told me when this crap started, "I guess until it gets so bad that the even the dumbest SOB in Montana recognizes there's a problem with elk Management, nothing will happen".

We have to be close to finding that guy...

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back