PEAX Equipment

MT Last week of archery elk season

elkocd

I was only able to hunt MT for a couple days Mid-Sept do to some physical issues with my dad, then all the snow where we had moved to. I did come back to OR and shoot a nice bull so all was not lost. I have the itch to get back over there for the last week of the archery season and give it a go. I've never hunted that late for archery elk. Most of the states have closed by the end of Sept.

A couple questions for you guys:

1. Do you think the early snow will have moved any of the elk down at all?

2. For you guys that hunt that late in archery season do you think I should give up entirely on locating by bugles. I'm really more of a spot and stalk guy anyway, but I do use some calling to locate during the rut. I'm planning on hunting some lower open country that I should be able to spot if there any elk.

3. For you guys still out there, what are you seeing with the rut? I was out last weekend in OR trying to get my son a bull and the herd bulls in our area were mostly just hanging with the herd. They would respond, but there was no real herd rutting action going on. Not sure if if it was dwindling or if it had not peaked yet.

I have only been able to get out 2 days this year for elk, not at all what I had hoped for. Opening day was unseasonably warm. Last saturday, the 23rd, I made it up to about 7000 feet and ran into a ton of snow, 18" in spots I would say. We saw nothing but wolf tracks, and decided to head down. Driving out past private land, a large herd of about 50 animals was already down on winter range. Also found a small herd later that day on block management at about 5500 feet. This may just be one isolated case, but I would say that much snow will push them down lower.

Thanks C_Dick_Run

Looks like another couple days of snow this week. The spot I'm thinking about is in that 5000ft range. We'll see. I'm always happy to be out elk hunting.

Most of the snow melted in the areas that I hunt during the 70 degree weather late last week. I never saw enough to push elk down onto winter range. It was nasty and sloppy but nothing that elk can't deal with. I was within 150 yards of a bull that bugled for 45 minutes before daylight yesterday then he and his cows vanished as it got light.

How is rut activity in central MT? I thought it was slow 10 days ago after that first snow.. Haven't been able to make it back yet.

It had been starting to pick up around 9/9 and had a couple bugles in one day. Then went back on 9/23 to snow and silence. No tracks even. I think they were all lower (just below snow, but still on mountainside). Went out again Friday and didn’t hear a thing but jumped a lone cow at 50 yards with no shot. Not my year I guess, we have family trips the rest of the season.

It had been starting to pick up around 9/9 and had a couple bugles in one day. Then went back on 9/23 to snow and silence. No tracks even. I think they were all lower (just below snow, but still on mountainside). Went out again Friday and didn’t hear a thing but jumped a lone cow at 50 yards with no shot. Not my year I guess, we have family trips the rest of the season.

Man that was my season to a "T"

Lots of bugles around my place last night, usually not this low. these guys were close. 335. Go get em!

1. From what I have seen all the snow has done is keep them in the timber bedded up until it stops then they are all over. This is what happened on 9/16 when that first storm stopped. The few days after that seemed to be the most rut activity I have seen this year. Bugles everywhere and the elk acting like they should this time of year.

2. I have been hunting the last 6 days with a buddy from Missouri and the bugling has really done nothing but wear out my reed. He had a couple bulls talking but not a lot and not very enthusiastic. I'd personally stick to spot and stalk or still hunting with this snow we just got.

3. See last line item. This year to me in central/ south west Montana everything seemed to kick off early and consequently end early. Still out there just not making the noise they were two weeks ago.

Hope this answers your questions well enough. Like I kept telling my buddy before he left yesterday, can't kill em from bed.

Headed back to MT tomorrow to hopefully close out my season. Even if they are not still rutting hard I'm always excited to get into elk country. It's been a long season already with my son starting to archery hunt this year. 700 miles one way to hunt elk for a few days is always worth it!

I hunted from 9/22 to 9/27. Started in unit 215, the elk were lower due to snow. finished hunting in 335 and 380 the last few days trying for a cow. Did not hear a bugle till the 26th and 27th. Wish it wasn't a 1700 mile drive or I"d be back after em.

The last 5 days have been really good. Lots of bugling. The bulls aren't real interested in coming to calls but they will respond especially if they have cows.

I got into a herd of 150+ on public on 10/7, with 30+ bulls and one true 360+ monster. The elk were going crazy with their rut behavior. Bad wind and ran out of shooting light after passing on multiple 20-30 yd shots hoping for the big boy or one of the satellite 6's to come into range. That was a crazy experience. Never been in a herd like that before. Also found a monster set of matching whitey sheds from this year in the same spot. Scored it around 175. Should be a tank this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back