Caribou Gear Tarp

Elk Noses

bisblue

I posted this on another forum, but I generally feel Hunt Talk is the most helpful, so I'm reposting it.

I was out today checking on some country I want to pack into with my llamas next week.

I had an bull do a location bugle fairly close but at the worst time and location. This is steep timbered country that has lots of downhill wind pockets that seem to fight warming uphill thermals and create swirly wind most of the day.

It got me thinking how far is too far for an elk to smell you? I played cat and mouse a bit with him but couldn't get a consistent wind to really set something up. Often the places I hunt it's not reasonable to go up and over and around them. It also seems like coming up from below gives you a window in the AM to be successful, but you can only hike up so fast.

I got my first traditional archery elk, a cow, on Sept 1st so I got a second Idaho archery tag to not miss the rut. I was debating packing up top so I can try to listen for bugles then drop in off the side and get on them sidehill in the morning with the thermals going down, as that appears to be the only steady wind of the day.

Compress_20230901_215620_0294.jpg

Impossible to answer. I ask myself all the time. Only thing I think is, if I’m asking I probably should back off.

If I was feeling ballsy enough to test their noses, I preferred to do it under really windy conditions!

You are either downwind of an elk or you aren't. They will tell you by their actions if you are or are not.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back