Caribou Gear Tarp

MT Hunt Roster Change Meeting Tonight

By adding the landowner list, it broadens the types of mechanisms utilized to create a roster. By eliminating that, we end with the existing mechanisms, which, as others have noted, often times do not lead to the desired effect.

....desired effect by who's standards Ben? Would you mind please elaborating?

As I understand it, they are updating the ARM to be consistent with current statute. So I think some of it is required, sure. If the goal is to increase opportunity on hunting problematic concentrations of wildlife on private land, then it would seem to be a reasonable and prudent move.

By adding the landowner list, it broadens the types of mechanisms utilized to create a roster. By eliminating that, we end with the existing mechanisms, which, as others have noted, often times do not lead to the desired effect.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm sure you MT folks are tired of hearing an outside perspective, but in my experience, once you allow the landowners to start dictating who has access to licenses it never stops.

I'd actually like to know a lot more about the issues with ranching for wildlife. On paper it looks good but it is apparently a disaster. We can learn a lot from the people who've been through this.

This is simply about the landowners running these hunts and cashing more checks under the guise of addressing a situation that they created for themselves, and exclude the public in the process. The language change is the legal window dressing.

I'm sure you MT folks are tired of hearing an outside perspective
Not at all, Oak. And we respect that Colorado has had some great successes regarding elk management and elk hunting. But we also realize there are some things that you would caution Montana elk hunters about. Please continue to monitor this issue and provide your perspective.

Well I'm off to do some learn'n. Looked for the wild-eyed butt-hurt hippie on the news tonight :D

Not at all, Oak. And we respect that Colorado has had some great successes regarding elk management and elk hunting. But we also realize there are some things that you would caution Montana elk hunters about. Please continue to monitor this issue and provide your perspective.

This.

As for the proposal, it seems like we are trying to read a lot of motive into what the agency is proposing without much first hand knowledge. Has anyone talked with the agency folks?

Maybe I am naive, but I trust MT's sportsmen to monitor and correct our agency and commission if they do things wrong. It's worked well in the past. As the rule is drafted, I could see adding language that qualifies the landowner submitted list is only used if no other options exist, but then, how many time are we going to hear no other option exists?

It comes down to citizen involvement. If FWP abuses the authority, then we have every right to demand recourse. To deny them the ability, I think, is different than holding them accountable. It's fear based management.

This.
As for the proposal, it seems like we are trying to read a lot of motive into what the agency is proposing without much first hand knowledge. Has anyone talked with the agency folks?
Yes. You obviously haven't. It is also pretty obvious that it isn't the agency that is proposing it, they are simply presenting someone else's proposal.

Maybe I am naive
Well I can agree with you on that point. .

, but I trust MT's sportsmen to monitor and correct our agency and commission if they do things wrong. It's worked well in the past.
Yes, we are so different from Colorado because we are Montanans. By the way, there were a whopping four people there and we had the most people of any region. Your trust is unfounded.

As the rule is drafted, I could see adding language that qualifies the landowner submitted list is only used if no other options exist
Not unless we demand it instead of trusting those writing the rules.

, but then, how many time are we going to hear no other option exists?
A lot. Hunters aren't getting it done. After the meeting I understand this better now. The hunts can be too tough for them or they can't show up on short notice. The hunt I was on was pretty dang tough (see picture). There is a need for the landowner to have a backup list when the public hunters can't do it, but the public simply can't be bypassed.

It comes down to citizen involvement. If FWP abuses the authority, then we have every right to demand recourse.
Ya, but there is this little problem that the citizens don't give a chit. It is easier to prevent a bad policy than get one changed.

To deny them the ability, I think, is different than holding them accountable. It's fear based management.
That's just Bullchit. They don't need the ability: There is zero need for the landowner to completely bypass the public. If you had talked to agency folks they would have told you that. If you had listened to them you would know the wording was not accidental. The language has to change and if you had talked to them you would know they are open to alternative wording, but if we remain silent they will have no justification to change the wording. Again, that wording that bypasses the public is completely unnecessary.

I'm OK with the landowner providing the list to augment the public hunters when conditions prevent the public hunters from being successful, but the intent must clearly be spelled out and in no case should the public be completely bypassed. There is no reason to keep that language. A reasonable scenario would be to have the landowner provide 1 name for every 3 public hunters called when regions are 100% over objective. If the hunt roster list is completely exhausted then he could choose whoever he wants.

You could also take the view that if the landowner wants to have certain people hunt his land then he should just have them sign up on the roster like everyone else. I wish I would have thought to ask why that is such a problem.

At any rate, there is no reason for the language allowing the public to be bypassed.

Attachments

• s IMG_0146.jpg
    s IMG_0146.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 171
Thanks RobG for the work on this,
I was not real concerned about this issue at first.

Not sure what I think about this new proposal as you do raise some valid concerns.
Game Damage hunts in Montana as I posted earlier are not always great in my experience.
They can probably be improved to actually be a hunt.
I definitely look forward to this improving.

I am still not sure how Montana FWP could manage hunting districts and elk populations in these districts better. Eastern and Central Montana continue to get more and more elk in places these elk can not be bothered.
But Yes---I like you idea ---better to shoot a bad plan down now than try to change a bad rule that is already in place later.

Once the policy shifts to landowner control, it will never change. FWP is bombarded by landowner complaints, non-stop, year-round, from a group determined to have things their way, all the time. Weary of it, lacking staff and budget, the path of least resistance dictates FWP throws in the towel and allows landowner control by default. The language says as much.

Once the policy shifts to landowner control, it will never change. FWP is bombarded by landowner complaints, non-stop, year-round, from a group determined to have things their way, all the time. Weary of it, lacking staff and budget, the path of least resistance dictates FWP throws in the towel and allows landowner control by default. The language says as much.

In looking at the language changes (e.g. 12.9.1101(4) ) they actually removed the wording "if sufficient numbers of hunters cannot be identified through the use of the game damage hunt roster" before describing alternative methods. It is a pretty obvious attempt to be able to completely bypass the hunt roster in favor of names supplied by the landowner.

And to think how many "damage" hunts the local SFW chapter can sell once the landowner list is the only thing being used for these hunts. I think Oak is dead nuts on with this one. Once it starts you'll not get it back and it will be more pervasive.

I am a bit surprised on some folks opinion on this...

By
the way, there were a whopping four people there and we had the most people of any region.
'Sorry I wasn't there, Rob. 'Wanted to be there, but I had a meeting at the school.
The changes proposed for early and late season (shoulder season) hunts may be beneficial to management if practical rather than political (rancher management). The issues for me include whether management hunts are only for antlerless elk, whether the hunts include areas where the elk actually are rather than merely district boundaries or other arbitrary boundaries, how hunters are selected, how private lands are selected (included or excluded), and just what authority this change implements over what already existed.

Rob G.
What was the talk about including bulls in the damage hunt?
I'm not sure what talk you are referring to as I don't remember it being mentioned but Sam Sheppard briefly mentioned the topic after the meeting when Kat and I and another guy continued the discussion. The logic is that hunters are complaining that they have to do all the dirty work of killing the elk but aren't allowed to kill any bulls.

I don't know if it is currently allowed for these game damage and game management hunts, but it was allowed once when they extended the season if I recall correctly. Are you confusing this with the proposed shoulder seasons?

Rob, remember your gentle chiding of Buzz to not be a dick? Well...

BTW - MCA 87-2-513 can be used as your road map for this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back