MT- faster draw, bigger licenses, at home printing

I take it you haven't hunted Alaska, if your tags can survive SEAK you are gonna be fine in Montana.
Nope,I haven't been able to hunt AK, or any other state than MT actually. No other western states use computer paper to my knowledge, aside from AK. I'd be curious what other states use that seem to work well for them. Just out of curiosity what does CO use for their tags? This is no doubt in reaction to the "fading ink debacle" from last year. They are stating that the thermal printers are now obsolete and impossible to replace. I just can't imagine there wasn't a better alternative.

The members on this form, myself included, who obsess about hunting 12 month of the year are not going to have any problems. There are already folks chatting about rite-in-the-rain water proof paper options and supper zip locks etc. But the bubba who blows the dust off of his ink jet printer the night before he goes hunting, who prints a barley legible tag due to a dried up ink cartridge, and uses the thinnest cheap paper available is probably not going to be thinking about how best to preserve his tag while he's in the field. He's going to have it folded up in the pocket of his jeans and he's going to attach it to the horn, leg, or ear with electrical tape if he's successful... those are the folks that are going to have problems and they are probably the majority of the hunters in this state.

@SixPoint

Oregon used the exact same system last year. Worked well for me and many other people I know.

I encountered a ton of complainers as well, but I encounter people complaining about every single change ODFW makes. All of the same retailers are still printing tags as well, so those that don't have printer at home can still go down to Sportsmans or Walmart and have it printed for them.

Bubba is going to have to step his game up. There are affordable products out there to accommodate this type of tag, and it only takes overcoming a little laziness to create a DIY solution.

If Montana is rolling out e-tagging at the same time, my experience is that is a vastly superior route. By just doing it on your phone you can quit worrying about where your tag is and how the elements are treating it.

Nope,I haven't been able to hunt AK, or any other state than MT actually. No other western states use computer paper to my knowledge, aside from AK. I'd be curious what other states use that seem to work well for them. Just out of curiosity what does CO use for their tags? This is no doubt in reaction to the "fading ink debacle" from last year. They are stating that the thermal printers are now obsolete and impossible to replace. I just can't imagine there wasn't a better alternative.

The members on this form, myself included, who obsess about hunting 12 month of the year are not going to have any problems. There are already folks chatting about rite-in-the-rain water proof paper options and supper zip locks etc. But the bubba who blows the dust off of his laser jet printer the night before he goes hunting, who prints a barley legible tag due to a dried up ink cartridge, and uses the thinnest cheap paper available is probably not going to be thinking about how best to preserve his tag while he's in the field. He's going to have it folded up in the pocket of his jeans and he's going to attach it to the horn, leg, or ear with electrical tape if he's successful... those are the folks that are going to have problems and they are probably the majority of the hunters in this state.

From first hand experience;
UT, NM, and WY all have you print out your habitat stamp, or hunting license at home.
AK, has you print out your own harvest ticket and hunting license.

Oregon it appears has you print out everything yourself.

Honestly I think there are 2 companies that pretty much everyone uses that do it for the state. I've had licenses from multiple states come from License Fulfillment Services in NY

Idaho uses some janky stuff that's barley better than printer paper.
1579206133692.png

Colorado
1579205679892.png
When WY mails you your tag it comes on some weird paper, but if you buy it in person it's the same stuff CO uses.
1579205710145.png

Kansas same as co
1579206115465.png

California
1579206202421.png

And if my memory is correct I printed out my Non Resident Idaho license on standard paper this year.

It worked flawlessly. The janky tag idaho sent me had a bunch of blemishes on it.

From first hand experience;
UT, NM, and WY all have you print out your habitat stamp, or hunting license at home.
AK, has you print out your own harvest ticket and hunting license.

Oregon it appears has you print out everything yourself.

Honestly I think there are 2 companies that pretty much everyone uses that do it for the state. I've had licenses from multiple states come from License Fulfillment Services in NY

Idaho uses some janky stuff that's barley better than printer paper.
View attachment 125686

Colorado
View attachment 125681
When WY mails you your tag it comes on some weird paper, but if you buy it in person it's the same stuff CO uses.
View attachment 125683

Kansas same as co
View attachment 125685

California
View attachment 125687
Interesting. Is the Habitat Stamp and Hunting License what goes on the carcass? You've been able to print your conservation/fishing license in MT but never an individual tag that goes on the carcass. Doesn't AK also have a waterproof bag and a colored steel zip tag that accompanies the license?

@SixPoint

Bubba is going to have to step his game up. There are affordable products out there to accommodate this type of tag, and it only takes overcoming a little laziness to create a DIY solution.
yeah, good luck with that. Unfortunately there are a lot of folks out there that will do the very minimum and then when they have a problem they will blame the department.

“I am just glad it’s going to be easier to party hunt. It’s been so hard to kill our God-given elk with all the non-native wolves around here a guy has to shoot 3 or 4 elk when he has the chance or he might not be able to eat next winter.”- Aldo Leopold

Somebody has to kill the last one.

Mandatory harvest reporting and electronic tag validation seem to be the next reasonable step in this brave new era.

it's 2020. Why not just have your license available on-line, and validate your tag on-line also? Mandatory report problem solved, along with pieces of paper.
No doubt this is the direction the department is headed, they just haven't committed to a date yet.

IDoesn't AK also have a waterproof bag and a colored steel zip tag that accompanies the license?

Mine is a ziplok sandwich bag, and save my PDF to print later if I lose them. I couldn't imagine being stupid enough to want to shoot and pack out two moose in a year just because I can print off two tags. We also have mandatory reporting, print at home, online app only etc. Course when 1/4 of the population doesn't even get a license, it really doesn't matter.

Interesting. Is the Habitat Stamp and Hunting License what goes on the carcass? You've been able to print your conservation/fishing license in MT but never an individual tag that goes on the carcass. Doesn't AK also have a waterproof bag and a colored steel zip tag that accompanies the license?

As a non resident you get a locking tag (steel zip tie) for any big game animal, residents only get locking tags for some grizzly and muskox hunts? Non-residents have to fill out a harvest ticket which you print out or a permit which is mailed to you on thick stock paper, in addition you have to carry your hunting license which you have to print out. I've never seen a state issued waterproof bag. You end up with a ton of paper in your pocket, but it's not that big a deal. Residents like bambi just fill out the harvest ticket or draw permit.

So for instance on by POW bear trip I had:

Locking Tag
Locking tag affidavit 8x11 piece of paper you have to sign and keep with you
Hunting license 8x11 piece of paper you have to sign and keep with you
Permit post card size paper you have to sign carry with you, the permit has prepaid postage on it and you mail it in after your hunt, to report your kill.

Mine is a ziplok sandwich bag, and save my PDF to print later if I lose them. I couldn't imagine being stupid enough to want to shoot and pack out two moose in a year just because I can print off two tags. We also have mandatory reporting, print at home, online app only etc. Course when 1/4 of the population doesn't even get a license, it really doesn't matter.
Now they want me to buy a ziploc bag? Hunting is becoming a rich man's game.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back