MT- faster draw, bigger licenses, at home printing

Did you not read the article describing the changes? The system is here now for 2020 where you can print your own water resistant tags and download to electronic devices.

Yes, I read the article. Go back and read the post I quoted and referenced. wllm is talking about a completely different system.

The guys I'm worried about aren't quoting Aldo Leopold, and MT is a long ways from having a system like you described.

Politically, I agree it's a long way from having the system I described. From a technical standpoint though, CO, MT, NM, and AK could do it next year (UT and WY need to some work), these states have all the pieces right now, can already logon and see all your data in a pretty organized fashion. Building an app and integrating it with these existing databases isn't pretty easy all things considered, building the database and getting all of the data into it is the real struggle and that works has all been done already.

I already this same basic workflow with all my company expenses (I just take a picture of my receipt, it OCR's them on the fly and populates an expense report), my car insurance (odometer report, monitors driving habbits), my dry cleaning, etc etc.

My point with the leopold quote is poachers are gonna poach.

"However, this paper is not only expensive, but requires printing technology so outdated that it’s almost impossible to replace. The switch to standard 8.5 by 11-inch paper will provide significant savings and ultimately be easier for customers."

I'm calling BS on that statement. More expensive than regular paper? Maybe, but the whole outdated technology thing, nah. FWP is just too cheap to find a way to keep up. As for the savings for the FWP, you can bet that will not translate to savings for the consumer...

For the record, it isn't exactly difficult to go down to the wal-mart or the local convenience store and get your tags printed out. But hey, at least now we can do it in the warmth of our home while we wait for that road buck to expire.:rolleyes:

Politically, I agree it's a long way from having the system I described. From a technical standpoint though, CO, MT, NM, and AK could do it next year (UT and WY need to some work), these states have all the pieces right now, can already logon and see all your data in a pretty organized fashion. Building an app and integrating it with these existing databases isn't pretty easy all things considered, building the database and getting all of the data into it is the real struggle and that works has all been done already.

I already this same basic workflow with all my company expenses (I just take a picture of my receipt, it OCR's them on the fly and populates an expense report), my car insurance (odometer report, monitors driving habbits), my dry cleaning, etc etc.

My point with the leopold quote is poachers are gonna poach.

That's all fine and good, but I'm talking about what's going to happen in Montana, in the year 2020, which is what this thread and the accompanying article are about.

I agree that poachers are going to poach, but that does not mean we should make it easier for them. The old process transporting a poached animal much harder than this new system does.

"However, this paper is not only expensive, but requires printing technology so outdated that it’s almost impossible to replace. The switch to standard 8.5 by 11-inch paper will provide significant savings and ultimately be easier for customers."

I'm calling BS on that statement. More expensive than regular paper? Maybe, but the whole outdated technology thing, nah. FWP is just too cheap to find a way to keep up. As for the savings for the FWP, you can bet that will not translate to savings for the consumer...

For the record, it isn't exactly difficult to go down to the wal-mart or the local convenience store and get your tags printed out. But hey, at least now we can do it in the warmth of our home while we wait for that road buck to expire.:rolleyes:

Honestly if you look at the budgets, running the whole draw and printing licenses is ridiculously expensive.

I bet those printers run $500-1000 a pop, the current one's are likely outdated, and the state would have to replace all of them at once. I don't know this for a fact but I bet the state actually owns all of them, eg they only the actual printer at sportmans, cabelas, etc and supply the paper.

It really won't surprise me if we are talking $500,000 to $1,000,000 to update the system, which after lasts years fading debacle is probably what the state was looking at having to do.

Wisconsin went to printing your own licenses a few years back. Lots of people still complain about it and worry about making it easier on poachers. I personally haven't seen it change anyone's hunting ethics and I hunt with a few different large groups throughout the season. I have grown to really liking the system WI uses

Wisconsin went to printing your own licenses a few years back. Lots of people still complain about it and worry about making it easier on poachers. I personally haven't seen it change anyone's hunting ethics and I hunt with a few different large groups throughout the season. I have grown to really liking the system WI uses

You way underestimate St. Regis, Seeley Lake, Plains, Darby, and other six fingered banjo picker strongholds in Montana....

That’s the way I read it...
‘welp, got that deer home without getting checked. Better print off another and hit the Custer tomorrow. ‘
Even if you do get checked...who cares? No mandatory harvest reporting so just print another one and head back out.

They aren’t the first state to implement this, but they are very late to the party. Kansas has actually just gone the opposite way. You used to be able to print your own and now you actually have to get a official tag.

Honestly if you look at the budgets, running the whole draw and printing licenses is ridiculously expensive.

I bet those printers run $500-1000 a pop, the current one's are likely outdated, and the state would have to replace all of them at once. I don't know this for a fact but I bet the state actually owns all of them, eg they only the actual printer at sportmans, cabelas, etc and supply the paper.

It really won't surprise me if we are talking $500,000 to $1,000,000 to update the system, which after lasts years fading debacle is probably what the state was looking at having to do.

This.

MT is running a website that's over 20 years old and can't simply update it anymore, so they have $10 million allocated for a new site that will be far more adaptable in the future.

That's no different than printers & paper. We don't use faxes anymore, and the thermal paper to use them is pretty expensive now, because nobody uses it, and it ends up being a special purchase item. Gov'ts work on large scale purchases, and DFWP is no different. Having specialty items in your budget is one way to really prove how fiscally imprudent you are.

Something to keep in mind is just the sheer costs associated with running these systems. I couldn't find the data for MT (in a 30 second google), but we just went through all this with CO so I have the costs on hand.
It costs CO $7 per resident applicant and $9 per non resident applicant to run the draw... so just to do the CO elk draw costs 2.3 million.
It costs 1.3 million to just administrate people buying preference points each year and not receiving any license.

I would imagine Montana has similar costs.

You way underestimate St. Regis, Seeley Lake, Plains, Darby, and other six fingered banjo picker strongholds in Montana....

There is a very real culture of in this part of Montana about "bending" game and fish rules, that Buzz and Gomer obviously also understand. Not full blown "poachers", but people who families that have party hunted for 50+ years. These are the people I'm worried about.

Back