MT- faster draw, bigger licenses, at home printing

There is a very real culture of in this part of Montana about "bending" game and fish rules, that Buzz and Gomer obviously also understand. Not full blown "poachers", but people who families that have party hunted for 50+ years. These are the people I'm worried about.

I think that culture exists throughout the state and isn't just limited to western MT.

It exists in every state. It's rooted in the rural traditions.

I think that culture exists throughout the state and isn't just limited to western MT.

It exists in every state. It's rooted in the rural traditions.

Very strong tradition in both Northern California and Oregon as well.

ODFW estimated that they would see a cost savings of about $1,000,000 a year by switching away from the old printed tags. We have mandatory reporting, here so maybe that helps me justify it, but I dont imagine many more poachers are going to go back to buying their tags and licenses for a little convenience. They've been outlawing for years and aren't about to spend $48 on an elk tag.

I agree that those "bending" the rules who may try to sneak another deer are of concern, but in Oregon we don't have check stations, and the warden presence is extremely limited, so I would bet there is already plenty of that going on. We'll all have something to complain about until Oregon gets check stations and Montana gets mandatory reporting, but I see this as progress in the right direction.

The two week turn around will be nice since they bumped the deer and elk app deadline to April 1. As far as printing the license at home I am sure that it can be set up to only allow an individual to print one time for that document. Once it is printed you wont be able to print it agian without contacting them.

Unless you print to a PDF file on your computer, then you can print until you run out of ink. And you can transfer it to your cell phone for an electronic file. Then print it at your frinds house or at work. There is always a work around.

Unless you print to a PDF file on your computer, then you can print until you run out of ink. And you can transfer it to your cell phone for an electronic file. Then print it at your frinds house or at work. There is always a work around.

Or simply photo copy the original until you run out of paper.

Has anyone called licensing to see how they will handle this issue, or are we all just focusing on conjecture at this point?

Licenses printed on computer paper has got to be one of the dumbest ideas I have heard in a very long time. I understand the department wanting to save money but this is ridiculous. We're going to need 3 ring binders by the time we purchase all of our tags. This clearly was an idea that must have come from accounting or somewhere similar by someone who has never actually went outside or hunted before. Heaven forbid I forget my zip lock baggie and am packing out a critter in the pouring rain. Do you think the warden will accept my tag when it looks like a wad of used chewing gum in the bottom of my pocket?

They wouldn't have accepted the old tag if you had left it on your defroster and had cooked it to a black slip. Protecting the tag has always been the hunters responsibility.

Has anyone called licensing to see how they will handle this issue, or are we all just focusing on conjecture at this point?

According to FWP licensing-

-The tag will be provided by a one time use link.
-This tag will not be visible on screen.
-The link will go directly to your printer settings where you will print it (I have no idea how they expect people to only print to a physical printer rather than a PDF)
-There will be a watermark that is printed on the tag that will make it unable to be photocopied.

They wouldn't have accepted the old tag if you had left it on your defroster and had cooked it to a black slip. Protecting the tag has always been the hunters responsibility.
Very True. But the old tags could be tied to a quarter covered in blood, exposed to the elements, survive a hurricane, and still be legible. They are setting folks up to fail when they don't need to be. A little common sense would go a long ways in this case.

-The link will go directly to your printer settings where you will print it (I have no idea how they expect people to only print to a physical printer rather than a PDF)
-There will be a watermark that is printed on the tag that will make it unable to be photocopied.

This is a poem of data & facts. Well done.

I emailed the FWP early this AM we will see what they respond back with.

Well you just ruined 8 pages of speculation. Back to climate change.

Licenses printed on computer paper has got to be one of the dumbest ideas I have heard in a very long time. I understand the department wanting to save money but this is ridiculous. We're going to need 3 ring binders by the time we purchase all of our tags. This clearly was an idea that must have come from accounting or somewhere similar by someone who has never actually went outside or hunted before. Heaven forbid I forget my zip lock baggie and am packing out a critter in the pouring rain. Do you think the warden will accept my tag when it looks like a wad of used chewing gum in the bottom of my pocket?

I take it you haven't hunted Alaska, if your tags can survive SEAK you are gonna be fine in Montana.

Challenge accepted.
Seriously though I would love to try to white-hat hack the system and send them how I did it... seems easy

The system is so old, it uses punch cards & dial up.

I'd probably go after the last two.... to Randy11's point there are tons of threads on Stackoverflow on how this is a terrible easily defeated system.

I bet they wrote "Do Not Copy" or "Not Vaild" across the document at set the color for that text at RGB 250,250,250. This won't show up to the human eye but will be caught by a copy machine and then when reprinted with show up as light gray.

But if you use an app like scannable to take a picture of the license and then scan to your phone and then print from there you can adjust your color settings to remove it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back