MT- faster draw, bigger licenses, at home printing

This is funny maybe we will be able to make copy’s of licenses that we print? Or maybe I’m not reading something right. Montana keeps nailing it!!

Totally agree on the printing your tag at home... that seems like a terrible idea with great potential to be abused. That being said I will greatly enjoy finding out if I drew in 2 weeks vs 6.

The two week turn around will be nice since they bumped the deer and elk app deadline to April 1. As far as printing the license at home I am sure that it can be set up to only allow an individual to print one time for that document. Once it is printed you wont be able to print it agian without contacting them.

Golfer, you can just print it to a pdf and then print 100 copies if you want.

New Mexico had this when I drew down there. It would have been very easy to abuse. I believe they went away from it. Can anyone confirm that has hunted there in the last couple years?

Additionally, in 2020, hunters applying for licenses or permits will be able to do so online or at an FWP office. Mail-in applications will no longer be accepted.

I think folks might be surprised that many agencies want to do this for many things in the name of efficiency, and there is always a large pushback when this is proposed. I'm surprised FWP pulled it off. So much time and government money has been wasted catering to the 5% of people out there who refuse to use a computer or drive to their nearest field office. Overall I think this will be a good change.

Oregon went to this system last year. It's a vast improvement for tag/ document management imo, especially for fishing documents. No more 9 foot long walgreens receipt to document your salmon/ steelhead catch, just punch it in your phone.

There will be growing pains, but it's 2020 and the tag technology most states use hasn't changed in 20 years or more. Hunters will figure it out.

Seems like a no-brainer to get rid of the mail-in process, and I am very glad to see FWP actually try to improve and adapt on something.

I know I'm a pessimist on things like this, but being able to print your own harvest tags seems ripe for abuse by Montana's party hunting culture.

Seems like a no-brainer to get rid of the mail-in process, and I am very glad to see FWP actually try to improve and adapt on something.

I know I'm a pessimist on things like this, but being able to print your own harvest tags seems ripe for abuse by Montana's party hunting culture.
Totally agree.

This will be a learning curve for all involved. I bet MT FWP Wardens will see some pretty "interesting" $hit going on this coming season.

God help you if it is raining when you have to have your tag out. No worries though you can just print another one for tomorrow.

You can buy water proof paper for your home printer. I've been using it for my AK, NM, UT, WY, etc license that you print yourself for 3 or 4 years now.
1579185340084.png

Perhaps having to go into a MFWP location to get a replacement license was keeping the honest folks honest... but I don't see this having a huge effect on poaching rates. Obviously all states are moving to a fully online system where you have a state app on your phone, you download your tags to the app, when you validate your tag you have to take a picture and the GPS coordinates are recorded, and then when you get back to service this information is uploaded to your MFWP or other account.

It's pretty easy to get away with wildlife offenses all things considered...

A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact.
Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac

Last edited:
Golfer, you can just print it to a pdf and then print 100 copies if you want.

New Mexico had this when I drew down there. It would have been very easy to abuse. I believe they went away from it. Can anyone confirm that has hunted there in the last couple years?

If I remember right they now allow it as a phone app or something like that. I haven't drawn a NM tag in a few years but when you apply you select printed or electronic delivery for your tag.

I had printer paper tags in Nebraska during college...worked ok until they got wet then it was a damned mess. I printed 3 or 4 to put in my gear. The only real difference is we had to check in all of our deer. I still think this is where FWP is failing...even if it's a simple checkbox online or automated hotline to get a validation code. FWP called me last night asked about deer, wolves, antelope, and upland birds. I told them I shot 3 deer in a unit and the gal said according to their records I only had 2 deer licenses (General & Single Region B). I told her I in fact purchased 2 additional Antlerless Whitetail tags and used them. She paused for a solid 10 seconds then asked Mule deer or Whitetail.

I like the removal of mail in and the decrease draw time but I know of 2 or 3 people here in town that will end up with an extra elk.

You can buy water proof paper for your home printer. I've been using it for my AK, NM, UT, WY, etc license that you print yourself for 3 or 4 years now.
View attachment 125658

Perhaps having to go into a MFWP location to get a replacement license was keeping the honest folks honest... but I don't see this having a huge effect on poaching rates. Obviously all states are moving to a fully online system where you have a state app on your phone, you download your tags to the app, when you validate your tag you have to take a picture and the GPS coordinates are recorded, and then when you get back to service this information is uploaded to your MFWP or other account.

It's pretty easy to get away with wildlife offenses all things considered...

A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact.
Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac

The guys I'm worried about aren't quoting Aldo Leopold, and MT is a long ways from having a system like you described.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back