MT ELK, Changing it up?

I think that the real objective might be getting missed. Elimination of the limited permits on private and privately controlled lands would circumvent the NR 10% limit.

At least they are keeping the public land LE....but cutting the number of permits by 50%.
Not only that, this will completely guarantee that all limited entry tags will be filled on public land none on private.

It’s time for people to bring their best ideas forward, and I want to hear from them,” Worsech said. “Don’t just tell us what you don’t like. I want to hear your ideas to improve the situation. I hope we can all see and realize a better day for landowners, hunters and the elk resource itself.” -Big Hank

AWESOME.
I've done that with emails to Commissioners, phone calls to the Director, and by allowing this forum to be used to layout a lot of ideas of how it would improve the situation. I know many others have provided ideas.

There have been no shortage of ideas proposed to improve the situation.

Folks should keep providing talking points here about how absurd this is, and how corrupt. This is an issue, where Montana hunters can at least nail FWP to the wall logically, whether we are successful or not. We need to highlight how obviously wrong and crooked this is. There will be a lot of hunters who don't like this, who this will affect, who may come "on line" due to their loss in opportunity, because, you know, they are working Montanans who don't own thousands of acres or pay folks to take them hunting. We gotta fight this, regardless of the outcome.

Last edited:
Is Block Management land considered public or private land for hunting purposes? Can’t even begin to imagine the shit show of hunting BM in a limited permit area if they are considered private land and this BS proposal goes through.

Is Block Management land considered public or private land for hunting purposes? Can’t even begin to imagine the shit show of hunting BM in a limited permit area if they are considered private land and this BS proposal goes through.

I think this would be devastating to block management in those areas.

“It’s time for people to bring their best ideas forward, and I want to hear from them,” Worsech said. “Don’t just tell us what you don’t like. I want to hear your ideas to improve the situation. I hope we can all see and realize a better day for landowners, hunters and the elk resource itself.” -Big Hank
This comment rubbed me the wrong way from the email. We don't have the same resources or access to piles of data like these people and yet the public has come up with solutions. We can clearly identify problems and I think many people have come up with great solutions, but they are largely ignored. Well the only people really being listened to are landowners and outfitters.

I had to read the email over and over to comprehend what the proposals were because it sounds so bad.

I've done that with emails to Commissioners, phone calls to the Director, and by allowing this forum to be used to layout a lot of ideas of how it would improve the situation. I know many others have provided ideas.

There have been no shortage of ideas proposed to improve the situation.
I continue to voice my opinions or ideas toward the FWP in their "submit your comments in the box" moment they have every year. I know I am not the greatest with words, compiling research, generating reports and submitting it back to them. It always seems to fall on deaf ears, the regional folks wont even look a person in the eye anymore when you give them an honest report of just how bad it really is. I just don't know how many more nuclear bombs this state can continue to take. I thought that last spring was bad when the legislation was in fast tracking this stuff.

Gonna be a long winter on the forum, I just really hope there is a way for someone to gain some traction with these clowns and get this thing turned back around but with the Gov., Big Hank and the commission. I am afraid we are in for some real bad stuff to come down the pipe.

So do you think Ferris and Dan will have the HT community over for a little field trip and dinner in 22?

Silly to blame Gionforte or Worsch. Blame is 100% on MT voters.
I disagree. Voters made a choice, but that doesn't absolve those who are now undoing 100 years of conservation success. Put the blame where it belongs: The Gov & the Director.

They could easily have made the decision to get input, work with people & try to find consensus, but instead, they have spent a year taking every bad idea that has been put down by the legislature and have decided to run them as policies and regulations. These folks seem to take great pleasure in bullying public land hunters in person and in policy. The Director has been telling hunters to "better find some private" to hunt since the session.

The Governor is the executive in charge of all of this. he made those appointments, he bares responsibility for these decisions. If Greg Gianforte prefers the company of groups who sue to eliminate stream access & force privatized hunting on a population that has significantly voiced their opposition to it, then we need to hold him accountable for that.

So do you think Ferris and Dan will have the HT community over for a little field trip and dinner in 22?
Maybe you and a few others will get the invite. For me, I doubt it. They flew to Bozeman to meet with me about my flying into HD 411 for elk hunts and try to convince me that their proposed land exchange was a great idea. The way that deal ended, I suspect I won't be on any invitation lists.

So what is the proposal for the other 6 districts? It says what they want to do with those 8, but what about the others?

I'm so damn mad right now I can't even talk. The checkout guy at the gas station asked me 4 times if I wanted my receipt. Just sat there with my jaw clenched.
Better get connected… You’ll be fine if you just talk to some ranchers for access like Hank does.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back