Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

MT ELK, Changing it up?

In the chess match of "Public Wildlife vs Private Profits, I gotta say, "I didn't see this move coming!"

As I see it, this will be the start of separating the public from the private as far as hunting is concerned. The public comments to improve the experience of hunting on public lands may now be heard. Cutting the season lengths, pick your district, pick your weapon, go to LE, etc. would then be implemented on a public lands only scenario.

In the chess match of "Public Wildlife vs Private Profits, I gotta say, "I didn't see this move coming!"

As I see it, this will be the start of separating the public from the private as far as hunting is concerned. The public comments to improve the experience of hunting on public lands may now be heard. Cutting the season lengths, pick your district, pick your weapon, go to LE, etc. would then be implemented on a public lands only scenario.
Isn't WY in a lot of areas managed this way? Lots of tags valid only on private lands. The big difference? The private tags seem to be mostly geared towards cow/does. :unsure:

pretty evident that following suit and making everyone happy isnt thr goal when you have a neighboring state setting examples for how it could be done...

This quote from Hank is laughable: “We can’t keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect a different result. We have to try something different."

Landowners have been given every tool in the book to lower elk numbers. Shoulder seasons August through February, cows on a general tag, spikes on a general tag, block management, increased LE quotas, etc. But now allowing them to sell a handful of 350"+ bulls every year from a 50,000 acre ranch is gonna be the silver bullet. Damn near criminal...

Last edited:
Don't be a man of modest means in MT, can't buy a house, can't hunt elk.

There was an article the other day stating that younger generations tend to own less stuff than older generations (Houses, cars, etc.) at the same ages and as a consequence of that they tend to not think of private property as this sacred cow, because well they've had to share or lease or rent almost everything.

I wonder if there may be a ground shift regarding sacredness of private property. Montanan's overwhelming love the stream access law, but there's really no counterpart for hunting. Given the shift in demographics in MT toward new arrivals with no connection to landowners, landing in the urban and suburban parts of MT there may be less tolerance of landowners hoarding state wildlife.

Maybe right to roam might be viable in the next 50 years?

Regardless. It's evident from this letter that Worsech is trying to blame public land hunters for this by claiming to not bring any solutions.

The fix is in.

So are these 8? units the testing grounds before this is established to the rest of the LE permit units?
What a mess. I'm not too confident in the Commission but I'm sure going to be contacting them.

And since Mr. Lamb is against politely rioting, I will politely and eloquently write my emails.
..and maybe reread those drafts before I send them 😅

So are these 8? units the testing grounds before this is established to the rest of the LE permit units?
What a mess. I'm not too confident in the Commission but I'm sure going to be contacting them.

And since Mr. Lamb is against politely rioting, I will politely and eloquently write my emails.
..and maybe reread those drafts before I send them 😅

Excellent.

But be there in person if you can to politely and eloquently express your frustration with this administration.

This moves forward and they will come for western MT next.

The objective is 92,000 & some change. Greg Gianforte wants to kill about 35% of the elk in Montana as fast as possible while appealing to his donor base - the same dudes that sued to eliminate stream access, asked for ranching for wildlife, advocated test & slaughter of the Northern Yellowstone Elk Herd and have tried to kill major access programs.

Next likely will be around the Elkhorns & Spotted Dog, along the Front and down in the Paradise where PERC is actively campaigning for full-transferable licenses (Greg Gianforte is a major donor of PERC, btw).

Sounds like they're getting what they paid for.

At what point do people realize their emails don't mean anything and you'll just have to bend over and take it?

Show up in person.

And it's about roughly the same amount of times it will take you quit posting "that one pic."

;)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back