MT Deer Down

thecrittergitter

Interesting how this one came about. Since I whittled away my elk tag in September, I made a commitment that this would be the year I would find myself a nice mule deer in MT. Since I've been a whitetail guy most of my life in Western Montana, I figured its time to look for a big muley. Well, I have been studying lots of different areas and have about 10 different game plans. Basically, I've done nothing but confuse myself on what to do, where to go, and so forth.

Well, as I was thinking of a plan out to SE montana for deer, it just so happened that a fellow hunt talker, mr Twodot, had been here hunting elk and had his pickup break down. Well, my buddy Greg had a truck, and I had a trailer so we each loaned two dot our equipment to get back home. On a whim, I called Greg and told him to tell twodot not to worry about getting my trailer back, I would give Greg a ride up there on my way out to go deer hunting. So, after all these hours of trying to figure out where to go and not sure what to do, this was the thing that made me decide:) I could help a guy out and still get to go deer hunting for a couple days, win win.

So, Greg and I took off to go pick up our truck and trailer and spend a little time looking for deer. Long story short.....

We found a great buck early on in the morning and in an attempt to get a better angle for a shot, I managed to tear or pop something in my knee which has pretty much made hiking unbearable. With the unfortunate mishap on that first buck, we were pretty sure we would not find another like that guy.

We were wrong.......about 1 hour of light left, we parked and hiked down an old blm road. Well, more like he hiked, I hobbled and limped my way down the road best I could. We were about 300 yards out this road, which was going to be about my limit, when I looked right and saw these 4 does and a buck about 230 yards out. Immediately I could tell the buck was good. Threw the binos up and confirmed he looked like a dandy. Greg threw his binos up and also confirmed this was a no brainer. I jacked in a shell, got a rest, and looked at the buck in the crosshairs. He was a beautiful buck. By far would be my best mule deer ever. Then, as I pulled up from the scope, I asked Greg, would you shoot that buck? He said something to the tune of absolutely and if I didn't want it he was going to shoot for sure:) I jacked my shell out and said shoot that sucker then. I've got him at 230 in the rangefinder, dump him. Not much hesitation out of greg.........Boom, and a heck of a montana buck got a free ride home. Super happy for Greg, this is his best deer to date also. I never thought I would say I passed on a 180" deer but here I am..............by the way.....that won't ever happen again I don't think:)LOL Congrats to my buddy Greg on a heck of a buck. Good thing I didn't shoot it I guess, with my bummed knee, Greg would have had to do all the work on my buck instead of his...lol

Attachments

• Greg buck 1.jpg
    Greg buck 1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,631
  • Greg buck 2.jpg
    Greg buck 2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,630
  • Greg buck 3.jpg
    Greg buck 3.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,625
It was cool watching these two bucks for a bit in the "staredown" over the doe in between them.

Rut is on fellas...........

Attachments

• Bucks 2.jpg
    Bucks 2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,611
  • Bucks.jpg
    Bucks.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,625
The first word that came to mind on seeing that deer was "behemoth." That's a great deer! Bum knee and you're still kicking my butt. What's that spiral-fluted beauty laying across the deer?

Your selfless acts are a testimony that there are still good people out there. I believe in Karma, and I know good things are headed your way! Congrats to both of you (you and your friend Greg) on a beautiful trophy buck!

Very cool buck and a great hunt for sure! Score one for the good guys. These two guys so totally saved my bacon last weekend. Picture this, truck breaks down on the oppoisite side of Montana, you have two boys and all your gear for a three day hunt in truck, it's Sunday. Then these two get together and say," no worries, use my trailer, and use my truck" Then,they plan a hunt near your home so they can come and get their truck and trailer. When I say I can't thank them enough it is a huge under statement.
Could not be happier for Greg about that buck, well done. And to Critter, if I see a monster like you are looking for here in the breaks, I'll be calling you. Thanks again.

Nice deer! Makes me feel a little better about passing a 170" last weekend. There have been some big Montana bucks taken early this fall; makes me excited for the rut but not the drive :rolleyes:

Very cool buck and a great hunt for sure! Score one for the good guys. These two guys so totally saved my bacon last weekend. Picture this, truck breaks down on the oppoisite side of Montana, you have two boys and all your gear for a three day hunt in truck, it's Sunday. Then these two get together and say," no worries, use my trailer, and use my truck" Then,they plan a hunt near your home so they can come and get their truck and trailer. When I say I can't thank them enough it is a huge under statement.
Could not be happier for Greg about that buck, well done. And to Critter, if I see a monster like you are looking for here in the breaks, I'll be calling you. Thanks again.

By the way there twodot, I got to meet your son Ben the other day. As far as I can tell, you have certainly done a fabulous job raising the type of kids we need in this country. Really enjoyed meeting and visiting with Ben. And very glad the truck and trailer worked out for you.

BY the way, I WILL NOT be passing on another deer like this so if you see one like this, I'll be on my way, limp and all:)LOL

Matt, Well done! What is it with you and the self destruct of your body during Hunting Season??? John

Here is what happens John. I pretty much went about 4 weeks here with virtually no hunting, no exercise, ate like garbage, and pretty much put my body in a rest state.........then with no warning to my body, I think I'm just going to throw on a pack, rifle, and start marching around all day...........As you know, the older you get, the less your body is going to take you being an idiot like that;)

The first word that came to mind on seeing that deer was "behemoth." That's a great deer! Bum knee and you're still kicking my butt. What's that spiral-fluted beauty laying across the deer?

That is a 300wsm that my buddy Brian built for Greg. Sure is a pretty bugger. Kills stuff too;)

Crittergitter, I appreciate friends, You did well with your buddy, Much more important than the big buck. But it is a tossup. You chose well.

Awesome buck Greg and Critter! That is a stud for sure...:cool:

Thanks again for all your help last weekend. It was was great to get to meet you as well!

Ben

Back