Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

MT Big Game Rifle season - week 2

Ben Lamb

5 weeks is never enough time. I need to pick up a bow and extend my season, clearly.

The week was full of office hours, not hours hiking on the mountain. I still haven't burned a tag yet, and the pressure is on. I feel inadequate and poor for not killing anything yet.

With this heavy pressure, the plan was set for the weekend: Sleep in on Saturday and much about the house on the some honey-do's and then hit it hard on Sunday.

Sunday rolled around and the alarm went off at 4:15 am. I grumbled, rose and went to collect my pack, rifle, etc. Then it hit me: Apparently the fish was bad. 20 minutes later, and several uncomfortable noises, I called my partner and relayed the information that hunting would be kind of chitty today, and I didn't mean the weather. He made it clear that conditions were not favorable on his end, since he didn't return from a work trip until 2 am that morning. We made a new plan - go back to bed.

I slept until 9:30 AM and then, after a few more complicated bathroom visits, went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and tagged a booner vaccuum.

12208842_10153339828508931_2340770869962868922_n.jpg

Hey Ben, don't feel too bad. I haven't cut a tag yet either. I've been trying to get my son a deer, and feeling pretty bad that I can't even do that. I put on a lot of miles this weekend trying to fill my 380 cow tag. No luck there either. Still keeping at it!

Hey Ben, don't feel too bad. I haven't cut a tag yet either. I've been trying to get my son a deer, and feeling pretty bad that I can't even do that. I put on a lot of miles this weekend trying to fill my 380 cow tag. No luck there either. Still keeping at it!

At least you got out this weekend! :)

I might make a mid-week trip over to 292-298 and see what's shaking in terms of buck movement. Depends on how the first part of the week goes.

Good luck!

With this heavy pressure, the plan was set for the weekend: Sleep in on Saturday and much about the house on the some honey-do's and then hit it hard on Sunday.

Completely unacceptable during the months of Sept-Nov. Fail.

Ben, Honey do's are tolerated, and encouraged from June to the end of August. After than if you sleep in to do a do, your man card is revoked.

Consider this your notice of lost man card privileges.. To earn a new man card one has to do a very manly thing, like shaving your head with a broadhead, and getting it tattooed.
Teaching your dog to fetch beer from the beer fridge would work too.

Ben, Honey do's are tolerated, and encouraged from June to the end of August. After than if you sleep in to do a do, your man card is revoked.

Consider this your notice of lost man card privileges.. To earn a new man card one has to do a very manly thing, like shaving your head with a broadhead, and getting it tattooed.
Teaching your dog to fetch beer from the beer fridge would work too.

I never got the whole man card thing. I was taught that real men don't care what others think of them. ;)

Ben you gain points for the hat, lose them for setting foot in Bed, Bath and whatever in November.

You are walking a fine line.

Hopefully at least your wife is out hunting. At this rate the Lamb household will be forced to buy beef for dinner. How is the chafing after this weekend?

That's adorable. Maybe you can come vacuum our floors while we're our hunting this weekend?

5 weeks is never enough time. I need to pick up a bow and extend my season, clearly.

The week was full of office hours, not hours hiking on the mountain. I still haven't burned a tag yet, and the pressure is on. I feel inadequate and poor for not killing anything yet.

I have spent two seasons both archery and rifle hunting here in Montana since I moved here and have yet to have a shot at an elk thus far so I know your feeling of inadequacy. Hope the season turns around for you.

Dear Ben,

Your posts continue to contain TMI.

I'm scared to see what next weekend brings.

BTW, real men hunt bad fish or not. I had a lot of hot wings on Friday night. Still hunted the next day. Prolly return to that trail for spring bear. Is that considered baiting?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back