Mt 360 & 362

psemuleys

Alright...so after some of your help I quickly got rid of unit 270 as a possibility.

I've decided ons selecting country that is more what I'm used to, so the learning curve isn't to bad. I've got a message waiting for the biologist, but in the mean time I'll see what your input is?

I noticed that the MT population estimates show a larger population in 362 than in 360 with a note saying that the elk have moved into unit 362. Why is this?

I will be hunting in the Lee Metcalf Wilderness in either unit I settle in on, but just want to pick the better of the two units.

Thanks in advance!

I wouldnt think there is much difference between those units. Quite a few elk and lots of wolves. The elk move freely and frequently between the units. Its rough country, so if you hunting the wilderness portion I hope you have some strong lungs and legs(or horses). There are a few grizzly in that country as well. Also, there are some decent bulls in that country, but raghorns are the rule for the rifle hunts. Good luck!

Most don't hunt the wilderness as of lately.......The rule for 360 and 362 from what i've observed over the past few years is that most people just sit their lazy azzes until the elk move down to the flats where nobody has to work for one. FWP has even extended season in past years to accomodate for the lazy azzwads. Most people just zip up and down the roads and flock shoot a bunch of trapped elk on the flats. Unfortunately FWP has allowed such ridiculous behavior to continue which is making all the lazy azz people stay lazy. You should see all the wounded elk that run around after season. Its absurd.

You should have lots of good luck up in that country if you put in a little effort. Pretty easy to kill an elk there, depending on what type of bull your looking for. If you are willing to shoot any bull, you would have to be a mullet to not kill one:):);)

I'll be down there Sep. 22-30th. That mullet talk is putting the pressure on! lol Are there higher numbers of animals farther north towards Bozeman or south towards the park?

I'll be down there Sep. 22-30th. That mullet talk is putting the pressure on! lol Are there higher numbers of animals farther north towards Bozeman or south towards the park?

Id say they are evenly distributed. Pick a trail head and enjoy! Lots of elk in that country, a few great bulls too. That week is a great week to be up there. Lots of knot heads down on the flats that cant shoot worth a darn.

Alright...so after some of your help I quickly got rid of unit 270 as a possibility.

I've decided ons selecting country that is more what I'm used to, so the learning curve isn't to bad. I've got a message waiting for the biologist, but in the mean time I'll see what your input is?

I noticed that the MT population estimates show a larger population in 362 than in 360 with a note saying that the elk have moved into unit 362. Why is this?

I will be hunting in the Lee Metcalf Wilderness in either unit I settle in on, but just want to pick the better of the two units.

Thanks in advance!

Focus on the eastern part of the Lee Metcalf (Gallatin) to avoid the crowds and to find quality elk; the elk are there if you look.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wisco94
Back