Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Mr buddy heater for tent camping

huntin24/7

Who all runs these heaters in their tents and leaves them run all night? I’ve used them lots of times to heat the tent at night before bed and in the morning but never let them run all night. For those that do, do you use any extra safety fearures(low o2 detector, etc) or just comfortable with the safety features it has. I’m tired of waking up cold throughout the night during late season tent camping. Running a Kodiak flexbow tent currently.

I’ve used one in my Kodiak several times. I usually keep a couple of the windows cracked a little mainly for condensation. I don’t run any extra detectors but probably not a bad idea if it will make you feel more comfortable.

I have never felt comfortable with ANY propane heater, regardless of a low O2 detector. Too many people have never woke up in the morning. I would rather be cold personally.

I have a wall tent and wood stove. Fire up the stove for heat and cooking, let it burn down, and then go to bed. It has worked for me for 20+ years.

In my Kodiak flexbow and before that in my small wall tent, I turn the tanktop propane heater off during sleep. Sleeping system matched to expected temperature. Blast the heater when awake in the morning, tent is warm in less than 5 min.

The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headaches, dizziness, and nausea.

Other symptoms include:

• Fatigue
  • Confusion
  • Abdominal pain
  • Weakness
  • Palpitations
  • Shortness of breath
  • Agitation
  • Drowsiness
  • Hallucinations
  • Visual disturbances
  • Seizures

In my Kodiak flexbow and before that in my small wall tent, I turn the tanktop propane heater off during sleep. Sleeping system matched to expected temperature. Blast the heater when awake in the morning, tent is warm in less than 5 min.

The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headaches, dizziness, and nausea.

Other symptoms include:

• Fatigue
  • Confusion
  • Abdominal pain
  • Weakness
  • Palpitations
  • Shortness of breath
  • Agitation
  • Drowsiness
  • Hallucinations
  • Visual disturbances
  • Seizures
I suffer from most of those on a daily basis.

I use two CO detectors on the floor of the tent. Pretty rare to run one through the whole night though.

Thanks for the replies. I’ve been warming it up at night and then turning it off Seems like no matter what I do, I wake up like 20+ times a night from the cold and am tired the next day. I can hunt all day in the cold just fine but I just cant sleep worth a **it in it. Might need to figure some other stuff out.

Yup never let it run all night. A good quality sleeping pad, sleeping bag and a liner will fix most of any issues. The heater itself should be turned off before shut eye and when you wake up. I’ve also turned it on in the middle of the night until I’m on the verge of dozing off, then I shut it down. Vent your tent and you’ll be fine.

I fought this same question myself for months. Think I finally figured it out with the exception of when camp is above 8000’. Then Mr Buddy ain’t your buddy.

Other symptoms include:

• Fatigue
  • Confusion
  • Abdominal pain
  • Weakness
  • Palpitations
  • Shortness of breath
  • Agitation
  • Drowsiness
  • Hallucinations
  • Visual disturbances
  • Seizures
The fun part about the headaches and dizziness is trying to figure out if it’s CO2 poisoning or altitude sickness.

Yup never let it run all night. A good quality sleeping pad, sleeping bag and a liner will fix most of any issues. The heater itself should be turned off before shut eye and when you wake up. I’ve also turned it on in the middle of the night until I’m on the verge of dozing off, then I shut it down. Vent your tent and you’ll be fine.

I fought this same question myself for months. Think I finally figured it out with the exception of when camp is above 8000’. Then Mr Buddy ain’t your buddy.
I agree. A good cot, pad and sleeping bag should keep you plenty warm, especially if the tent is warmed up before lights out.

No way I run any propane heater in a tent all night. mtmuley
We were hunting the Breaks in the early nineties one season. -20, wind howling so much we tied the tent to the truck. Mr Heater was all we had, but even then we wouldn't keep that thing running. That's when I learned two sleeping bags, one inside the other works great.😁

We were hunting the Breaks in the early nineties one season. -20, wind howling so much we tied the tent to the truck. Mr Heater was all we had, but even then we wouldn't keep that thing running. That's when I learned two sleeping bags, one inside the other works great.😁
That scenario is exactly why I built the cot/storage system into my truck. I figured if the wind caused problems I had a warm dry place to go to. mtmuley

I am another one in the no heat after lights out needed. We dampen the wood stove down as low as possible right before bed and then fire it up first thing in the morning. I use a big 4" pad, a -30 ve Browning sleeping bag (cheap and bulky but waaaarm) and a Montana Canvas bed roll. I have been in that set up down to -15 and have never been chilly. Sleep system is definitely where to address warmth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back