PEAX Equipment

RV heater question

Irrelevant

So because HT is pretty great about answering random questions here goes.

My parents got a new camp trailer a couple years ago. They hardly ever use it, so it just chills in their garage. But I'd like to start using it as an extra bedroom, that way my kids have a room and my sisters kids have a room when we all descend on the homestead. But it's an unheated garage and it pretty damn cold in the trailer. They've tried to use a small electric heater but it causes the O2 sensor to go off.
1. Why?!?! would that happen
2. How to fix it?

My parents got a new camp trailer a couple years ago. They hardly ever use it, so it just chills in their garage. But I'd like to start using it as an extra bedroom, that way my kids have a room and my sisters kids have a room when we all descend on the homestead. But it's an unheated garage and it pretty damn cold in the trailer. They've tried to use a small electric heater but it causes the O2 sensor to go off.
2. How to fix it?

I’d replace the CO2 sensor. They do fail.

2. How to fix it?
Maybe lint on the heat element burning off?
Could the whole garage have an o2 issue?

I didn’t think campers could have electric heaters due to fire restrictions. Is the camper burning any type of propane when powered up like the fridge?

I’d replace the CO2 sensor. They do fail.
this hasn't failed. It's a very specific issue.
Maybe lint on the heat element burning off?
Could the whole garage have an o2 issue?
No, because they first discovered it while parked in my driveway this fall.
I didn’t think campers could have electric heaters due to fire restrictions. Is the camper burning any type of propane when powered up like the fridge?
It's just a plug in heater, like one you'd put in a cold bedroom. They're trying not to use the propane furnace.

2. How to fix it?
So I'm not clear, the 02 sensor is part of the electric portable heater? A concern is O2 sensors usually trip 19-20%, If displacement from another gas type is the origin it can be a problem. 1% =10,000 ppm.. 02 sensors do go bad like CO se sorry. Toxicity for CO approximately 800 ppm. See the problem.

2. How to fix it?
Was there a window cracked? Should always have a window cracked. I would also make sure the garage has a window cracked as well.

What's actually going off? I never heard of a camper having an O2 sensor. O2 is oxygen. There's lots of it everywhere. They do have a dual sensor that detects carbon monoxide (CO) and also propane. When it goes off, there's usually an indicator on the device that tells you whether the alarm is for CO or propane. I can't think of any reason an electric heater would cause either alarm, but I would start by knowing exactly what is alarming. BTW, I would definitely not run a propane heater confined in the garage. That's a sure way to CO poisoning.

Odd problem indeed. Can you unscrew the detector from the wall and see if it goes off in your home? and/or move it and the heater into a different space to isolate the issue.

An electric heater should emit no harmful gas, nor consume O2. When I head to my hunting land on weekends in the winter I put the propane heater on long enough to get the chill out and then turn on 2 electric heaters and the electric fireplace, that is nothing more than an electric heater. It is a 34footer so it takes more than one heater to heat that area. I am a little unclear what alarm is going off but I would not worry about it as long as you are sure the propane tank is shut off. An electric space heated can't kill you with CO, HC, or any other gas for that matter.

... as long as you are sure the propane tank is shut off. ...
That's the first thing I would do. Maybe there's a leak in the propane system that shows up when things get warmer. And before I took the thing out, I would go over the whole system with a propane sniffer.

2. How to fix it?

I had an O2 sensor that would go off when the battery voltage got low.
Is your heater running off of the trailer battery through an inverter? Maybe it's draining the battery.
You might try plugging the heater into an extension cord rather than an outlet in the trailer.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back